Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭munsterfan2

Hi,

If you are using the solarman addon to talk directly to the wifi sticks on solis ( older version 2 stick ). The following automation should give you an idea

<code>

alias: Set Battery Discharge (Pause Zappi)
    description: Discharge Excess Battery to Grid
    trigger:

• platform: time
      at: "22:15:00"
      condition: []
      action:
    • device_id: fd2123e941axxxxxxxxx - Zappi
      domain: select
      entity_id: 2e935353fxxxxxxxxxxx - Charge Mode
      type: select_option
      option: Stopped
    • choose:
      • conditions:
        • condition: numeric_state
          entity_id: sensor.bms_soc
          above: 90
          sequence:
        • service: solarman.write_holding_register
          data:
          register: 43142
          value: 550
        • service: solarman.write_multiple_holding_registers
          data:
          register: 43143
          values:
      • conditions:
          above: 70
          sequence:
          data:
          data:
          values:
      • conditions:
          above: 60
          below: 70
          sequence:
          data:
          data:
          values:
      • conditions:
          above: 40
          below: 60
          sequence:
          data:
          data:
          values:
      • conditions: []
        sequence:
          data:
          value: 0
          data:
          values:
    • delay:
      hours: 3
      minutes: 45
      seconds: 0
      milliseconds: 0
    • device_id: fd2123e941a96xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Zappi
      domain: select
      entity_id: 2e935353f794xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Charge Mode
      type: select_option
      option: Eco+
      mode: single

</code>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭conor_mc

In the Solis app, go into your plant > three-dots at top right > modify info > tariff management.

I think your setup is working fine. Looking at my similar-sized setup albeit across 3 aspects where I generated 16.1 kWh on the 24th, in Dublin City.

I suspect you’re getting your kW, kWh and kWp’s a bit mixed up, coupled with the clipping that your oversized system is doing by design. The following two videos are great and will really help you better understand what to expect from your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bilasy

both video were very enlightening thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Borax2709

Couple of questions for the real pros on here. Hopefully related/in the right place.

1 - If I get a hybrid inverter installed now - how easy is it to get a battery done later? I've gotten a v good quote on Panels/Inverter install but the company is looking for MAD money for a battery (same battery is 1.1k on solarb**s.ie and they are looking for 3k more for battery install). Is this in ANY way DIY-able? Or if it is not - would a RECI even do it as a standalone job? If someone told me that it was a €300 job for someone to get a battery added [ on top of battery cost ] that would swing the decision - but if it's €1200 and nobody will "touch another installer's work" then the opposite is true I think!?

2 - Are there any inverters / battery combinations I should stay away from if I do want the monitoring (local!!) as described above via solarman etc? I am well equipped with HomeAssistant at home, and I'd be looking to add monitoring in there [ not cloud based if possible! ]. Are there any combinations I should steer clear of? Quotes have come in for Sofar Invertor, Solis Invertor. And then Dyness battery is what I think is most likely (caveat above). Ideally I'd be able to do force discharge to take advantage of night rates etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭championc

There's even a thread on here for a DIY battery build.

Controllable with HA would be a Sofar or Sunsynk / Deye

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Or any inverter with Modbus, which is just about every inverter on the market.

Are there any settings/precautions to take when heading off on holidays for a couple of weeks? Obviously knock off any overnight charging, anything else?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Not really, no. Turn off your Eddi via the app if you have one.

ABSOLUTELY Don't do that. Buy at cheap night rate, and have as much export as possible every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Borax2709

Am I going to have to get my hands dirty to integrate with the modbus or are there off the shelf solutions for connectivity?

Think I've been saved here already on this!

Should be no need for soldering or anything of that sort. Depending on whether the inverter supports Modbus RTU (most common), or Modbus TCP, you have a number of different options. For Modbus RTU, get yourself a good quality USB to RS485 adapter (FTDI or similar), and then connect to the RS485 port on the inverter. Within HA, you then add a config file which maps out the Modbus registers for your inverter. See this as an example for Solis Hybrid inverters. For Modbus TCP, the config is similar, but the hardware side is simpler - just connect the device to your LAN.

There are other solutions such as SolarAssistant, but you can nearly always achieve what you want with native Modbus and Home Assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭randombar

I'm controlling SolarEdge via HA too. Works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Dozz

I was away for a few days and kept getting email from my Solis inverter saying "No Battery"

Home today and I see the puredrive battery (5kw) showing the red led circle.

Have tried restarting both the inverter and battery but inverter still showing no battery.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Is there anybody on here with mostly west orientated panels and generating good electric. I can get 12 west facing panels and 6 south on my roof. 1 Installer said my west would receive light early in day too(noon ish) as west roof higher then south facing bit. Just wondering is it worth it, we do use most electric in evening as of now but that may not always be the case. In winter west would have v little generated i would think.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yearly output is about 3.4MWh, for the west only,

On the non sunny days in winter, the west (per panel) will generate as much as the south. As

Cheers man, you are a fountain of knowledge. Ground mounting is an option for all south facing but its handier and cheaper to roof mount as my garage does not have power yet. Have you south panels aswell and do they do much better? I am on tou and 5-7 my most expensive time so may make sense to do 12 west 6 south. How many panels generate that 3.4MWh?

Post edited by newhouse87 on

That was done on 4.8kwp west only.

This website is where I got the info, have a play

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

Would the roofs on the left(south facing) and on right/straight ahead in pic(west facing) in first attachment impact negatively on each other, shading etc? Installer wanted to put 12 on west facing roof in attachment 2 and 6 on south in attachment 1.

I was thinking putting 6 on both roofs in attachment 1 and remaining 6 on nearside west roof in attachment 2. Thinking that further over roof slots on west facing in attachment 2 will be last to get sun. Not sure if that makes sense.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭mjatkey

Hi, I'm no expert but maybe turn all off leave for 5mins the restart or maybe check the battery setting is correct on the inverter, type etc, can be done on the web gui if needed.

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

• Advertisement

Roof Vents at the top could be a restriction, but 6 each on each of the south roofs, and 12 on the west, total of 24 😉

West gives a great last to the solar production, especially in the summer, on them long days

haha i will start with the 18.

Have only 1 south roof that will take 6, its beside small west roof at patio.

So would it make sense to put 6 on small west facing roof and 6 on big west roof rather than all on big west roof, was just thinking be later in day before main west roof on far side gets the sun?

Hopefully they will work around vents, none of them mentioned it yet as issue anyway.

What about the roof beside the HP? That's South too isn't it?

Does it make sense that far side of main west roof would be last to get sun so I would be better put 6on small west roof above sliding door and 6 on nearside of main west roof rather then 12 on main west roof?

rough paint sketch of roof? not to scale!

I wouldnt be too worried about shadowing, Roofs generate hard shadows, Which are enough to activate the bypass diodes in the panels,so they just take themselves out, and not hurt the rest of the string.

Measure your roof yourself and see how much you can fit, most panels are around 1130mm with 20mm for the mount bracket, so id count 1150 for each panel (+ 500mm from the ridge and the edge)

If you can, do whatever you can do now, its a lot more bother to come back and add to the system later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Solis cloud app acting a bit funny for anyone?

Utter crap. Use MyEnergi for Live data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭iknorr

Got a strange one going on…..

Recently installed a Solis S5-EH1P(3-6)K-L 5kw.

System seems to be performing as expected however, when decently generating, e.g. above 3kw, there seems to be a click or a sudden tick noise that happens every now and then. Edit (noticed it does this when its on battery also, e.g. night time 3kw load.)

It appears to happen more frequently when im generating above 5kw, every 5-10 minutes.

Its coming from inside the invertor. Any ideas what this could be?

Post edited by iknorr on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭oaklands

Possibly a relay turning a fan on/off????

Advertisement