Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭highdef

Possible squall like feature looks to be developing now, currently stretching from north Limerick into south Galway. Something to keep an eye as this looks to be the boundary between the mild and humid air ahead of it and the cooler drier air behind. It may fizzle out or not become anything further than it is now but certainly something to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I'll have my eyes peeled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very warm humid airmass set to transit the country Sunday into Monday. High Theta E and Theta W airmass giving an unstable atmosphere producing very heavy rain and possibility of Convective conditions leading to thunderstorms. Could be in the high teens overnight with a high DP of 17 or 18c into Monday. Initial shear readings looking high too . ECM leading the precipitation totals showing possibly over 50mm in 24 hrs in the West . Met Eireann already mentioning ' thundery in places ' and after the news saying possible updates to the warnings. Fair enough chance of a few overnight storms Sunday into Monday and watching to see if Monday could be active in places .

One to watch to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Would that be country wide or west based?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hard to know at this stage but Monday could have an active frontal passage with embedded thunderstorms over a wide area, huge converging winds aiding forcing, could see a line of thunderstorms transiting the country. Will see and have a better idea tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭glightning

That line you talk about for Monday showing up on an app I use. Lightning risk chart below

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I can see an orange warning being issued for rain if models keep up fairly high totals over 24 hour period

Not far off it now in the W and NW, some high totals over mountains in the SW also possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

all toned down now, with thunder activity gone, just standard misery now…

I think there is possibility of isolated storms moving in off the sea overland some bit in the W or maybe the NW tomorrow night /early Monday morning. The frontal passage on Monday could produce a few isolated storms but not looking like widespread, maybe best chance in coastal areas ( perhaps a chance in the SW, along the S and SE coastal areas ), the front should get energised and unstable over the Irish sea convergence zone and become quite active moving into the UK later Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭glightning

As always with everything (sunshine, heat, storms, cold).. Everything gets pushed east of Ireland

Yes, it's called standardised misery, everything interesting gets sucked out of the equation at about 12 to 24 hours beforehand, and then your left with just the basic muck. YAY Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

That might be my fault. We had a warm sunny day about 2 months ago, so I bought some ice lollies to put in the freezer, for some of the upcoming sunny days and we havn't had one since.

This morning I even had to put on the heating.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some recent strikes in West Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Mech1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Macho Man

Just had a very long low rumbling thunder over Portarlington. Really nice long one. Just as it's started to rain. Will check the Met Eireann radar shortly to see if a lightning strike was recorded. I did see there were strikes around Bantry Bay about 2 hrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

There was a nice few strikes around Portlaoise in the last while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

The cluster around Portlaoise was short lived and quickly died out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭The Macho Man

Just seeing that now on the radar. Likely the source of where I heard the thunder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭highdef

I think it was mentioned that there could be thundery rain in the band crossing the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a good few strikes in the Kildare area now, I’m surprised this thread is so quiet at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭pad199207

Keeping an eye to see will there be an increase in activity along the coasts soon as the weather gets more into the converging winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Heard what I thought was thunder here in Portrane about an hour ago, and see strikes were reported of the coast just north of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Large clap of thunder overhead 10mins ago

Been watching the coming Sunday for a few days now and the parameters are there for thunderstorm activity. Approaching front, albeit weak perhaps but the timing of the upper trough ( negatively tilted I reckon ) after the heat of the day, could get up into the low to mid 20's and remaining quite warm into the evening when storms could break out. High readings in both Theta E and W, high Dp's up over the mid teens and looks like lots of low and deep level shear to aid instability. Early lapse rates look very decent but at this stage no certainty but could see storms late into the night and early Monday morning, ECM currently showing the Eastern half of the country as most favorable with the most strength but could see them anywhere really. ECM currently showing a very active night into the early Monday morning…..but as we have seen this summer charts have gotten very diluted down nearer the time but one to watch nevertheless ⚡️⚡️

• Advertisement

I was wondering why the really intense rain didnt pass over us on the model runs for sunday, then i realised why, because it would have heavy thunderstorm activity embedded, this is why it has stalled and is staying out at sea, couldnt be having anything too interesting taking place now, could we, of course if the heavy does cross over us, the activity will just vanish as it approches land… and then burst into life again in the irish sea, i mean you just couldnt make this stuff up, theres like some type of force field in the atmosphere over ireland that kills off everything dynamic or interesting.

the only positive is that Met Eireann havent mentioned any thunder activity for sunday yet,if they do start mentioning it around saturday evening, then you know its a bust.

phrases to look out for include thundery rain, thundery burst, the odd rumble of thunder, isolated thunder all of which usually lead to nothing.

YAY, Ireland, it would drive you to drink.

Advertisement