Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway United thread

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Great results tonight without us even playing!

Waterford losing and Bohs and Dundalk drawing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Ferguson rotated his squad. Which was probably stronger than most mid table starting 11's. To say he put deliberately fielded weaken sides for the cup is inaccurate to say the least.

The only time Man Utd pulled out of the cup was to facilitate them playing in a club world cup styled tournament one January which clashed with the opening and possibly the second round of the cup. The English authorities believed it was important for them to go over seas but did not want to damage the integrity of the cup by moving rounds/ dates to suit them.

Top managers want to win as much trophies as possible but they would rank competitions in order of importance. In Ireland there are only 2 National trophies. In the case of Cork City and Shams a cup victory preceded league success. I wouldn't expect JC to treat the next round of the cup any differently to a league game.

Sometimes its better not to engage with certain posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sh1te in a bucket tonight. One of those games where we seemed content on just hoofing the ball.

• Advertisement

Could have been there til next weekend and we wouldn't have scored. Too long too soon all second half, crosses from 40 yds out on the angle were too easy to defend. Wide players were poor all night. Two moments of quality sealed the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Oh dear. A 2-0 loss and down to sixth is not good news.

I think it's important to get points from Dundalk away in the next game as we could still be dragged back into the relegation zone. Survival in the league is the name of the game here. Given our record against them this season so far three points is not out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It might have been the name of the game at the start of the season, but expectations are much higher now. Maybe a little too high, but the season in general isn't playing out as predicted. They're lacking in any sort of consistency, so a run of wins or defeats will define their season. Win the next 3-4 and they'll be pushing for a European spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭ratracer

Last night was very frustrating. We’ve shown before that when we try to play football we can work a goal out of it.
    Back to hoof-ball again, and while Hickey won a lot of headers, they ultimately fell to a Sligo player more often than not.

Need the 3pts from Dundalk on Friday now.

We especially need not to lose against Dundalk, otherwise we'll be facing into the set of games with Pat's, Rovers and Derry on the back of two defeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

Benny the Bull acting the maggot in Sligo again

apologies, wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Walshy is some man altogether. His second header was a peach and we could've won by a lot more than 2 if Keoghan didn't bottle two goals. His first miss is up there with the worst I've ever seen.

His first wasn't great alright, second was 50/50 really.

Great win though, badly needed. Great performances throughout the team, Walshy, Buckley, Hickey and McCormack especially. O'Sullivan and Hurley excellent off the bench too. Their keeper is piss poor too.

Have to disagree on Keoghan. Once you make the decision to round the keeper you have to commit to either taking a touch that puts it beyond the keeper forcing them to foul you or you take a touch that'll get you that shot. He panicked (because of the horrific miss earlier) but it's only a 50/50 if you hesitate as an attacker.

Thankfully it didn't matter but it's still criminal at this level to blow two incredible chances.

You might be right. I may be viewing it less harshly due to the result. Keohane definitely came into the game more second half, he was poor first half, same with Ed.

I might also be too harsh on a lad that isn't a natural striker tbf. I feel Ed is so much better on the right than his current left winger slot. Funnily enough Dervin was lost at sea in what's meant to be his natural position although I really liked him in his stint here.

Pats on Sunday week is a massive game that's very winnable after that result.

Catching Pats between European games could be good for us, hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

Who's Benny the Bull

• Advertisement

Hard way to get knocked out but in fairness to the lads they didn't give up. Keoghan's goal was an absolute peach.

Lads that look as nervy as Buckley are bad news under the pressure of penalties. You just knew it was getting saved or he was missing the target.

Best of luck to the women's team tomorrow in the Final. Would be nice to see a Galway side come away with Silverware from Dublin after the last few weeks of pain.

Yeah, a right sickener. Haven’t seen any replay of the two offside goals yet, were they definitely off? ( not that it matters now anyway)

I was surprised, or maybe expecting more from Shels, but I thought the home crowd was small, and no real atmosphere there for a cup game.

Ya both were off. The first one looked on in real time but was actually well off. We can't have any complaints, Shels had multiple chances and Clarkey made some good saves. We did well to get back into it and we're unlucky it ended as it did.

I figured Lombotto was off for the firts as he was on the by-line when playing the ball back, the second one I thought came off a Shels player.

Yeah, Shels were a lot stronger for the second half, it was a great goal by Keohane to bring us back into it. Penalties always a lottery, when they go in they’re great penalties, when they get sky-ed, not so much. It was the toughest draw we could have gotten in the cup unfortunately, I just hope the remainder of the season doesn’t fall away. After the first half of the season, it’d be nice to be in the 3rd place mix come the last game. And that’s a world away from where I expected to be at the start of the season.

First one Mo was offside after the flick header. Second one Francely was on the end line, the ball hit a Shels player but he would have become active from the initial ball from our player I think. Who knows how offsides work anymore sure!!

Mixed the order up, but that’s what I was thinking alright. Offside calls really are so inconsistent!

Fair dues to the women's team on another All-Ireland

Advertisement