Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who’s bringing the horse - no - EV to France?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Mine are pretty similar, if they see the sign they go mental. Last week in Wales the closest 150kW charger was an Instavolt in a McDonald's

Needless to say I didn't use that charger once 😏

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is a Chargemap card the only way to pay at a TotalEnergies charger?

Looks like debit card is also an option, but might require scanning a QR code for some chargers. Others might have payment terminals on the charger

https://evcharge.totalenergies.com/en/ev-drivers/how-pay-your-charging-session

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Debit card is definitely an option. Travel companion of ours used his card at one of their charging sites

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Model 3 RWD. Trip to pick up my son in Germany.

Dublin - Holyhead with a full charge on the Ferry.

Holyhead to Eurotunnel. 2 stops on the way and a top up before boarding the train.

Next day, Calais to Bochum, Germany. 2 stops on the way, including 1 at Eindhoven where I picked up 16 prismatic cells for solar battery. Managed to fit 14 of them into the lower boot area and 2 in the frunk.

Charged to 100% at Bochum next day before heading home. Boot completely stuffed. Frunk stuffed. 3 of us in car. Rear seat stacked to the roof with luggage. No spare spade and I had a planned Seplos battery kit to collect in the UK! Only needed 1 stop at Brugge and charged to 75% when I reached Calais.

From Dover I got to Heathrow SuC and charged to about 60%. From there, I got to Fogstar near Birmingham and picked up my battery case. Strapped it to the roof rack. Charged to 100% at local SuC and drove to a local hotel. Have enough to get to Holyhead from here. Will do a quick topup maybe near Chester just to get out and stretch the legs. Fully charge on the Ferry and zip home with pretty much a full battery. If I had spare time, I'd detour to Wrexham, but need to catch the ferry home and don't want my battery case nicked 😋

Zero stress driving. Zero range anxiety. The car calculated everything with minor interference when I wanted to stop somewhere different, or stay for a longer charge if I was grabbing food. Autopilot was used almost the entire journey 95% minimum. Small stretch of Autobahn where I cruised at 190 😁. Now I have a big battery case strapped to the roof rack and I'm so glad the total height is only 188cm...so OK for the ferry. Also all charging was on Tesla network with credits used from referrals.

Journey not done yet, but would do it again in a heart beat, especially with SuC credits.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Just boarded at Holyhead. Plugged in and chilling in Club with a glass of wine. Epic journey. I even managed to stop off at Wrexham for a quick look. The owner of the Turf was there (for anyone familiar with the documentary). Too early for a drink though.

Battery case was well secure the whole trip from Birmingham. Here she is at the port just before boarding. Early Christmas!

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ha, great trip.

Must have killed you though in having extra unusable battery capacity, and contributing to worse economy on the EV. 😁 What questions did you get at customs?

I was also considering a similar trip to Fogstar, good to know it's it not too tricky to arrange.

It killed me fitting everything in!

Just make sure you strap it down well and wrap it. I had no issue using the Aldi ratchet straps, but I had to cut a meter from each one. I wrapped bungee cords around it to keep the wrap from coming loose. Was solid at full motor way speeds. I could have fit 2 on the roof rack side by side.

No issue at customs. Asked about alcohol, tobacco or cash in Dublin. Told him I don't drink or smoke and I spent my last 20 on KFC in Wales 😂.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

just on way back from France after returning the mini countryman ev. All went fine in the end. Haven’t been charged for any charging yet via card. The mini could do 22kw AC charging which was very handy. Lots of 22 kw chargers around where we were and not much else. Sixt were excellent too. Will use them again.

Did you offer to collect your son purely to devour for the battery cells? 😉

Sounds like a great trip, really hard to beat supercharger pricing even for non Teslas

Having the auto steering really does make a lot of difference on longer journeys, makes it a lot less head wrecking

• Advertisement

Yeah France went a bit mad for 22kW AC early on and there seems to be loads of chargers around. I guess with Renault pushing it with the Zoe it makes sense

Glad to see more cars using 22kW, it's handy when it's there

It's good to see the rental companies getting the idea when someone asks for an EV they won't be happy getting swapped for a diesel car. That's probably one of the main things that puts me off rentals (other being the prices, can be pretty steep)

Advertisement