Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Your bang on there alps ….I’m reasonably confident the 3 I have will kill out clear …bloods will be negative I’ll get compensated well for value of my cows as I have good ebi ,milk records pedigree regrestiration etc…..what I won’t be compensated for is the loss of milk for these animals …fact 2/3 are in calf to sexed semen to calve next January and the hassle and inconvienence of been locked up till at least December ….it’s just one more kick in the hole for 2024 to throw at anyone restricted

There is an active badger set in a fort in a neighbours farm just over ditch from me …we’re reasonably confident these are healthy badgers but we don’t know ….dept laid traps to try catch and vaccinate or put down badgers few years ago….they gave 2 weeks at it …caught nothing and last we saw of them ….they even left one trap behind and no monitoring done beteeeen Thursday and following Wednesday of Easter weekend 🙄🙄🙄

My neighbour who is down and beside a wood had set guys out last week to go look for sets ….they didn’t go too far into wood because it was tough going and overgrown …they don’t care

I last tested in march all clear and think only 2 with lumps were measured ….both of them had nothing this time other neighbours around us all tested in last 2/4 months all clear ….beteeeen end of march and Christmas this year I will now have 4 tests (in 9 months)…..that’s too many tests in such short time frame in my view and could affect results ….I’d love to have double sided or second crush so they ain’t getting jabbed so many times on one side….tb testing is big business now for Dvo and vets ….they are so far out of there depth as regards trying to eradicate or control it we really need a change in approach and personnel ….only ones to carry the can is the farmer and there is nothing we can do ….anyway rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,664 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

OOur cow was skipped she was that bad. A big red cow

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Does that not tell u the whole programe is a joke what difference wud it make ig there was no testing only on sale animals what harm is it selling calves from restricted herds theyll be dead in 2yrs anyway the current dairy cows average not even 3 lactations

This Was 30 years ago. I do wonder have we advanced much since then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭straight

A fella pointed out to me once that everyone is paid the day of a TB test apart from the farmer bringing all the cattle in and putting them through the crush.

I've been lucky with TB so far here but there is a good bit around lately. Alot of lads opting for blood test and losing alot of stock in the process. One of my neighbours calves tested positive.

I thought alot of cows have past exposure to TB and they have an immunity to some degree. Alot of my cows have lumps on their skin especially the autumn on their neck and legs. Vet said it looks like skin TB. Passing away the herd test anyway.

As they say..... There is no accurate test for TB - just vaccinate the cows and forget it.

• Advertisement

We havent advanced ive never had tb thank god but can someone please tell me how bordbia can only send a inspector 2 times and never if u know them.while ur local vet who u drink pints with can test u 4ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭cjpm

When the cows go through the factory there’s no bullshitting about TB. The dept trace the positives straight away. So they wouldn’t be long knocking on the vets door to ask him/her a few questions.

Also the vet has to notify the Dept prior to the test anyway so they can arrive in unannounced to check what’s being done.

One of our vets was suspended from testing so they are monitored

Look at bvd carry on and no one saying anything

Bvd was prolonged as lads didn't have to get rid of positives earlier on

• Advertisement

Wouldnt u think our highly intelligent boys wud havev taught of that when they first designed the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭raindodger

its a big issue bringing them into parlour and milking themn to keep them right and correct for valuation .Consider spraying stalls or mangers with disinfectant.Soon as they are valued into a bare field and dry them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Yes, false negatives are the problem.

Not false positives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭older by the day

I don't think you have lost many young cows to TB, when you come out with a statement like that. The department should be finding the source of the problem ie. Vaccination of cows, or badgers or culling of wildlife

You have no idea how many.

Painful experience tells me that false negatives are 100% more of a problem than false positives. They lie in the herd and spread the problem. Killing out without lesions is not proof of anything. Have seen plenty over the years with no visible lesions but had culture positive in the nodes . So they had the disease.

The reason you rarely see lesions is the annual test system, the bactreium is slow to develop so early detection stops clinical disease showing.

Lads, if you are down with TB insist on a blood test and clear anything with any hint of lumps on the next test, especially older cows.

Short term pain hopefully.

Deal with wildlife as a separate issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭cjpm

A test that’s not fit for purpose is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

heard of a local lad today after going down with a heap of cows and cattle.the national herd reduction is going on very well without it being government policy as they say.

At this stage everyone is going to be hit by tb.went tru it for a couple of yrs a few years back.

Its a great money scheme for everyone except the idiot doing the actual farming

Agreed that in and of itself the tuberculin skin test leaves too many infected cattle behind due to its low sensitivity. As farmers we are annoyed about the idea of false positives (extremely rare) when the real issue is infected animals left behind.

Sloppy testing, pressure applied to vets to pass dodgy animals, lax trading rules for high risk animals, and of course under staffed wildlife units are huge contributors too.

Those things however don't change the fact that if your cows has lumps she is 99% certain to have TB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

as much as I want to disagree with 2/3 of your posts today …..your are fairly close to the truth I think …..I’d like to blood everything now if I could but due to fact it will throw false positives I’d doubt I would willingly go that route

Look dept and dvos etc are so far out of there depth now in controlling and trying to eradicate this they all need to be hauled in ,replaced if need be and international experts brought in to help us solve this problem which is getting worse …..there is only one group o people suffering in this and that’s farmers as our hands are totally tied and we basically have to do as we are told when locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭visatorro

thats a interesting point about the double sided crush. just thinking its a multi vet practice i use for testing and always tested on one side. a couple of new vets tested the other side. i remember because they were in eye shot of the cows and they wouldnt have been used to seeing someone stand there and they were abit spooked. there was no lumps there at all. last vet commented that i have alot of skin tb he called it. basically just random lumps on the cows necks. but clean as a whistle where he clipped and jabbed

• Advertisement

They did think of it, but our less intelligent farm orgs blocked it. Plus ça change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭older by the day

You say get rid of any animals with lumps, sher every one would be locked up every year if that's the case. And if they don't find the source, then it will be the same every year. It's a case of trapping and testing every badger, wild deer, or anything else that carries bovine TB

Often found where they're injected with rotavec shows up a lump

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

This comment may not be well received but farmers have the wrong I dea of what the situation is .this is not an eradication program its a control program so it will never end unless incidents of infection go below a negligible level which given the high mobility of animals and the huge amount of criss infection from wildlife in ireland us highly unlikely.the whole situation then comes down to financial cost to the exchequer versus effectiveness which takes away alot of options.the thing is we should learn from our mistakes and never make the mistake of signing up to another control program again.p

Vaccination would result in a shut down of exports under current international regulations

100% get rid of any animals with lumps, because they have TB.

Wildlife a reservoir of infection too obviously, but cut out the cow to cow transmission too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

The test measures the animals immune reaction to infection whish is why other virus could potentially trigger the test and or if a system is overwhelmed with some issue will not react.the big question is how would the regime of testing as a whole change if veterinary pratices were not involved.i would caution responses to this by saying many would struggle to offer services to large animal if tb testing went from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Trying to "eradicate" TB is an absolute nonsense! Its the equivalent of trying to stop the tide with a saucepan. Or eliminate Ash Dieback. Or covid, remember when they wanted to "zero" that too? 🤔

It's in pretty much every mammal in the environment.

You talk about wildlife. Ever hear of sheep? They spread it too.

But I better not say too much about that, or some of the geniuses on here will be looking for the Department to set a TB scheme up for them too... 🤫

Nope. It measures the immune response to a tuberculin challenge, its a bacterium not a virus and the reaction is very specific.

Though agree not as sensitive one would like.

• Advertisement

Let farmers control it themselves if a farmer wants tb let him have it. if he doesnt test and cull and have closed herd simple same with bvd and other diseases they can divide all the money they spend out among all farmers

Advertisement