Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile on the Roads...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

The amount of people in newer cars with bluetooth that drive talking into the end of the phone is unreal, the end must be supersensitive when you're driving. Can't understand why Bluetooth can't be turned on before they start a journey.

Windscreen mounts should probably be banned at this stage. Should not be used when behind the wheel. Not that there would be any enforcement if they were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

While I don't get the not using bluetooth - it's a very short process to pair, so I don't even buy the shared car "issue" - the problem with banning phone mounts is that a lot of people use them for sat nav. Well by a lot, I know I do and I wouldn't text or facetime and drive. And also, screen on the phone tiny compared to some of the consoles that mirror the phone anyway!

My view is enforce the handheld device that has been law for years at this stage, before making it even stricter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭cletus

I used one for the same reason. My car is not new enough to have an iPad instead of a radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Paddigol

There can't be many new cars sold over the last 6 years that don't have the ability to plug your phone into the car's USB port and get SatNav display on the car 'console' that way? My very basic 2018 Skoda even has that function - I didn't go for the fancier (at the time) bluetooth option. My current hire car is a very basic 222 VW - it doesn't seem to have a USB port I can plug into, but it took me about 90 seconds to get the bluetooth feature working.

It's such an easy tech fix if the will was there. I refuse to believe, going off the amount of 'physical phone interaction' I see on my commutes, that a significant proportion of people who use phone mounts don't also use them regularly for things they shouldn't.

Until that issue is sorted I don't want to hear another driver complain about 'dangerous roads' or 'bloody cyclists'.

There's already a tech solution to speeding, but there's clearly no appetite to implement and enforce it.

Trying to enforce the handheld device ban would be as effective as sticking your finger in a leaking dam.

No particular logic to this, but when I see someone in an 'old' car using a phone mount, I assume they're just using it for SatNav. But the amount of new cars - as in the last 4/ 5 years using them…

It's easy for me to say, as someone who has the functionality to hook google maps on my phone up to my car, but if we want to take phone use in car's seriously is banning phone mounts, and pointing people towards dedicated car-specific SatNav devices, not a reasonable first step? Could have a time frame set, as in by Jan 2026 everyone must have found a way to drive without a phone being accessible to the driver. We managed for decades without them.

EDIT: and don't get me started on the iPad sized 'console' screens as you mentioned! The stuff that you can distract yourself with on a Tesla is ridiculous. They're basically toys on 4 wheels.

My 2018 vehicle has bluetooth, no console screen. I also use it for spotify - but would queue up before I leave.

I wouldn't necessarily mind them coming for the mounts, but only after they get serious about the people still holding to their ear (which I still see a lot, disprotionally HGV's), and the nobheads who think they're in the apprentice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from 2026 a new vehicle will not be awarded a 5 star euro NCAP rating unless a minimum list of basic car features are accessible with physical controls.

i.e. they're trying to push the car manufacturers away from over-reliance on touch screens.

Well go figure!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/aug/01/casualties-on-welsh-roads-fall-after-20mph-speed-limit-figures-show

Can only imagine the uproar and hand-wringing if they tried something progressive like that over here. Poor old Ringer would have a coronary…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭zell12

On Cartalk now, RPU's Supt Jane Humphries says "you will be caught" if you drink/drug drive between now and Wednesday morning - "it's like driving with a blindfold on". Every tenth driver is not watching the road (mobile phone use), she says. Poor showing from her, could not answer a proper question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Not a day goes by that I don't see a few people smoking joints on their way to work in their cars.

And a few weeks ago, I saw a woman smoking a joint while driving, with her young daughter in the back of the car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

With the usual caveat that many could be just smoking rollies, the bang of weed on the N11 at rush hour as work vans use the bus lane is decent to say the least. Smoking with your kids in the car though, even just a regular cigarette is shameful.

• Advertisement

It's the smell that gives it away obviously. Work vans are often the worst culprits. I can't understand it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny, i was just thinking the other day that i'd seen more people smoking while driving recently - but i hadn't considered it might not be cigarettes.

i noticed the other day that on a junction near me - not a major one - they'd started the process of widening the 'mouth' of the junction, which i thought was running counter to the current way of thinking - i.e. it'll now be easier for people turning off the main road to do it at higher speed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3899153,-6.2707961,3a,75y,174.78h,83.84t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sdacxjUHfLgOygPzXYpiOqw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DdacxjUHfLgOygPzXYpiOqw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D31.562384%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

it's the kerb on the left in that street view shot - on the passenger side of the red car. they've pulled the kerb in by probably a metre. i'd be curious as to why they felt they needed to reconfigure the junction.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@magicbastarder according to this, it is for "Kerb Realignment for Road Widening" - would that make any sense to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gmacww

Over in the curragh this morning doing some CX. Packed up and ready to leave and just having a drink and snack. See a black Audi a4 driver looking at the phone in hand. I thought a**ehole. Turned away for a second and heard the screeching of tyres. Turned back. Elderly man in a ford focus sitting at the junction indicating right, he’d been there a while as it was busy now. Audi ends up in the field with the sign post under the car. I was thinking about 10 mins ago I was cycling there!

ah - cheers - i'm still curious as to why they need to widen the road?

possibly it's due to changes in bus routes - which are planned for the area, must go dig those out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Riding through red lights is de rigueur for cyclists in my area. And I'm talking about those well togged out on good bikes.

I am starting to suspect it's for the new 19 route which will be partially replacing the 11; it's going to serve the airport. That corner might have been a bit tight for a bus. Though glasnevin drive can be a bit stop starty in a car as it is with all the cars parked on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Happens a lot for sure. A bug bear of mine 90% of the time. I know that a lot of those cyclists will argue that they're basically just acting like pedestrians and crossing through when safe to do so. I'd agree with that approach in principle, as there's a big difference between bikes and cars, in terms of velocity, weight, space and manoeuvrability. I just wish the powers that be would take a progressive approach and legislate for cyclists to be allowed filter through in specific circumstances. Anecdotally I believe that some countries already allow for cyclists to turn left on reds. Its simply a matter of common sense really. There's nothing more frustrating* on a bus in rush hour than when a load of cyclists filter through at a red light and stop in front of a bus (as they're perfectly entitled to do)… everyone then pulls off at the same time and the bus has to wait until enough space to overtake… until the next set of lights. Whereas when the cyclists filter through either on the pedestrian lights or when it would be safe for a pedestrian to cross, everything runs much smoother.

*Actually there is - when a car decides it's too important to slum it in the car lanes and should be entitled to skip ahead in the bus lane. Speaking of which, I came across a new Range Rover absolutely wedged under a large construction truck on the N11 last week. There's a lot of groundworks being done on a site near the Leopardstown crossroads and the truck was clearly in the inside lane swinging left to turn into the construction site. The Range Rover had clearly been barrelling down the bus lane and ended up driving straight into and under the truck. You'd have to assume, given the nature of the collision that the driver was either speeding and couldn't brake in time or was looking at the phone and didn't brake at all. No sign of ambulance, just Gardai, so looks like injuries were avoided. If it had been anything smaller than a Range Rover I'd say it would have been a different story. Just another day on the roads where people are too busy to bother caring for their own or anyone else's safety.

On the M11 on Sunday, Ambulance behind but a good bit away. I am under the speed limit but come up on a car quickly. I could have gotten around before the Ambulance but why bother. I let my foot off the gas. Driver was doing just under 80kmph when I was behind them but was faster only moments before. Anyway, the Ambulance passes and I overtake. Driver is playing thumb wars with her phone, looking down and too the left, self correcting when they hit rumble strips is my best guess and just holding a steady rev so the speed difference was from the up and down (over 120 down hill, under 80 on the uphill). I doubt they even noticed the ambulance. Muppets.

Wow… quite the take, even for a paper that seems more and more interested in generating content for the sake of clicks these days,

Enjoy your days out, but avoid exiting cars on narrow roads | Irish Independent

We've probably all either been doored or nearly doored at some stage, but the most dangerous users of the roads are stationary vehicles? Jesus wept.

It is 7 sentences long. All in fresh paragraphs. If I didn't know better, that is just word vomit that can be filled in later to bulk out the word count. A quick google of some of his other articles makes this almost a certainty. Money down he published by accident and there was loads of other mini rants he didn't get time to add, probably a few anecdotes of how he experienced this himself. A paragraph on how he understands how tough it is for parents before saying, but. He would have finished it off with a question that didn't need to be asked, certainly doesn't need an answer, but he feels make it sound intelligent as he has dreams of workers at coffee discussing his deep questions. In reality most wonder why they read it in the forst place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

On the plus side, it's a change for the Indo to be blaming "ordinary" motorists for this rather than cyclists, e-scooter riders and pedestrians for motorists woes.

Happens a lot for sure. A bug bear of mine 90% of the time. I know that a lot of those cyclists will argue that they're basically just acting like pedestrians and crossing through when safe to do so. I'd agree with that approach in principle, as there's a big difference between bikes and cars, in terms of velocity, weight, space and manoeuvrability. I just wish the powers that be would take a progressive approach and legislate for cyclists to be allowed filter through in specific circumstances. Anecdotally I believe that some countries already allow for cyclists to turn left on reds. Its simply a matter of common sense really. There's nothing more frustrating* on a bus in rush hour than when a load of cyclists filter through at a red light and stop in front of a bus (as they're perfectly entitled to do)… everyone then pulls off at the same time and the bus has to wait until enough space to overtake… until the next set of lights. Whereas when the cyclists filter through either on the pedestrian lights or when it would be safe for a pedestrian to cross, everything runs much smoother.

That's it really - cyclists should effectively have a flashing amber during the pedestrian cycle - proceed with caution, if safe to do so. People driving get their nickers in a twist with cyclists going through red, but it's rarely because of danger to the cyclist, pedestrian or any motorists. It's just pure jealousy at the cyclist making progress. Same dicks that purposely try to block cyclists filtering.

In other news, nearly hit yesterday in the cycle lane between Loughlinstown Roundabout and Stonebridge Road, by someone drifting while looking at their phone. Caught them at the lights and they were completely clueless why I was calling them out for it. But "hi viz and red lights"….

• Advertisement

they really should just run these as ads on the TV in the UK - from durham police bodycams, they've uploaded compilations of people being arrested for drink driving.

and this one is harder hitting, the comic effect from some of the clips above is totally absent.

Advertisement