Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

Haven't been following this thread for a while but in case it hasn't already been mentioned, JD Vance is clearly projecting his internalised homophobia with the children line. Hey look at me I'm not gay, I've got kids.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,169 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

And he only f*cks counches who identify as female.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭McFly85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I never watch the full things live but should make for s popcorn reading of X the next day. ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And therein lies the problem.

Most people will only see carefully selected, out of context snippets via social media posts creating a completely false narrative of the actual facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

trying to spot the false narratives is fun too, most of US politics are fake narratives you see it posted here too but its part of the fun.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭JVince

The only things that matters are those things considered important in the six swing states.

What people in California or Boston or Washington states think, is of no consequence as there is no chance of losing those states.

The election will be about what matters to voters in Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Wisconsin and Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

“They’re the weird ones. Nobody’s ever called me weird. I’m a lot of things, but weird I’m not. And I’m upfront. And he’s not either, I will tell you. J.D. is not at all. They are,” Trump said, defending both himself and his running mate J.D. Vance. 

“If you’ve ever seen her with the laugh and everything else, that’s a weird deal going on there,” Trump said.

It really is a check mate insult. Trump is defenceless against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Kamala's laugh really bothers Trump. The magician, Penn Gillette from Penn and Teller, who appeared on a season of Celebrity Apprentice, noted that he never saw Trump laugh sincerely.

It's another one of those things which hurts him a bit because while Kamala might laugh a bit too much, it keeps a lighter image in contrast to Trump who comes across as kind of deadpan and serious in addition to old and weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭Shoog

Accepting a debate on fox sort of corners Harris, an unsympathetic network. To refuse it would reverse the taunts but Trump will probably not accept a network switch even if Harris suggests one (even though his offer is effectively a network switch).

This is probably why the Harris team have yet to accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It seems all Harris has to do is sue Fox for something (per trumps reasoning…).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,702 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On fox…with fox hosts mediating…with an audience…no mention of off-buttons on mics. She is not going to accept all that, even if she accepts any of it. Still plenty to work on, random audience for example, change date by a couple of days - till after his sentencing (though if he gets any sort of sentence that puts things off till after the election he will be smug), insist on mic mute , after all if he is not going to interrupt why would he care? Or accept it all on condition of another debate shortly after under original rules.

Come to think of it, if she just got him started on court cases he would be so hyped up by the sentencing he would rant for an hour and she wouldn't have to say anything.

Of course if she just accepted it all and between the crowd shouting and him ranting and the mediators taking his side its going to be obviously the s show that he wants - which will only entertain his base, who are irrelevant. She is strong enough to cope and could easily come out with the high moral ground to everyone else watching.

Trump wanting to move the debate to Fox News would indicate to me that he or his campaign feel that the advantage is slipping at an uncomfortable rate, and want a very partisan environment for a showdown.

However, the last time Trump did a debate at Fox, it didn't go so well as the moderator, Chris Wallace, called it down the middle, leaving Trump furious.

The debate is not mandatory. Harris could say she has accepted ABC's offer, and if Trump doesnt want to attend, he doesnt have to. She could have a debate of 1 on ABC and Trump could go to Fox on the same night. The viewing figures, could be more accurate than any poll.

While ABC's anchor will be asking Harris about her plans for immiration, Fox's anchor will be asking Trump about his golf handicap.

I think that they should go head to head at least once, but with Fox News and their current roster of anchors, I'm struggling to find one who could still be considered neutral and would ask tough questions of both candidates.

This piece, written shortly after Wallace's departure, ranks Geraldo Rivera as the most neutral (or 'least despicable', rather) host on the network at the time of the article's writing. Though some of that seems to stem from his penchant for contrary argument with other Fox News hosts as opposed to being an even-handed newsman of the old Walter Cronkite mould.

With Fox moderators what is the point in them debating? Trump going on a rant for 5 minutes about whatever comes into his head? While Harris tries to say something useful. It'd be a waste of time.

I'd be more interested in a VP debate.

So is this is how it's going to go down?

Of course it will be Fox News, Trump can only win by cheating.

If Trump agrees to terms on mic mutes and so on, he won't be able to rant for five minutes. Trump didn't seem unhappy with the mic mute rule on CNN, so there is no credible reason why he should reject it now.

Besides, the last thing Trump's team want is him ranting off-script, especially in the scenario where Kamala winds him up. Far too much chance of blurting something out that costs him another percentage point in crucial swing states.

• Advertisement

I suspect there will be another assassination attempt in Pennsylvania but I don't think it will be Donald who will be getting shot at.

Another thing from that NABJ interview that went kind of unnoticed - Trump says 'Kamala' correctly. I like how there was the awareness to do that, but not the awareness not to lay into her about her mixed race background. The former was probably campaign team advice, knowing he'd be pulled up on saying, 'Ka-*mah*-la' like usual, but the latter was just a Trump original that left staffers watching through barely separated fingers.

I’m pretty sure I heard him say it incorrectly also

All thats been said is rules will be similar, no mention of mutes on mics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

If Harris accepts this, without changing any of the conditions, it would paint her as incredibly weak.

It's beyond the beyond that the Republicans did this. I hope to God that Kamal keeps the ABC Slot open and empty chairs Trump.

And also, her campaign should sue Fox and the Trump campaign if they actually agreed to a debate with no input from the Harris team and then publicised it like she was in agreement.

Trump's plan for 'tax free social security and tips' turns out to be a massive gift for the wealthy.

Unless you earn so much per year to start with, these earnings already don't contribute to your tax burden (eg. waiters and waitresses). But now eg. a hedge fund manager could reclassify most of their earnings as 'tips' and get a tax break worth hundreds of thousands of dollars:

Feels like the cultural ground has shifted a bit since Trump first came to political prominence in 2016. As Harris has herself said, 'the same old story' with Trump, who has no new angle or new rhetoric to push. He'd be the most beatable of any Republican candidate if the Democrats hadn't been so set in getting in their own way by first getting behind the never-very-popular Hillary Clinton, who acted as if the presidency was her birthright and now to Joe Biden, who was clearly too frail for the campaign trail.

Even with Harris, they're probably doing about the bare minimum they can get away with in order to possibly beat Trump. If they had candidates in the wings who really got the youth vote excited, it would barely even be a contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Good old Trump fleeing with his tail between his legs for the ABC debate

Do we know what the format of the Fox News Debate is? For example will the mics be muted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

There won't be one, especially before the 10th September. It'll be an interview with Trump. Guarantee it.

Advertisement