Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth Cert Requested for Job Interview?

• 03-08-2024 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I was asked to attend an assessment for a new job. It would be carried out prior to the job interview (which would be held at a later date) and would take about 30 minutes.

When on the phone to the hiring manager, I was asked to bring three criteria to this assessment to proof that I'm qualified for the job. But in the follow up email (in addition to this) I was also asked for documentation to prove my right to work in Ireland (passport / EU ID card / birth cert / valid visa). It also said "Please note that if you're unable to provide these documents upon arrival this may result in the cancellation of your interview".

I would've thought that you wouldn't be obliged to show something like a birth cert until you'd actually be hired. Just wondering is there any way a candidate could hide their date of birth during an interview? as they're entitled to do.

Thanks

Post edited by Suit of Wolves on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Eh, it's just 'one' of the options.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

You're not obliged to show a birth cert. That's just one of the options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭OU812

they don’t want to waste their time/money interviewing someone who they can’t employ. Also proves identity.

Seems quite sensible to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

what a ridiculous thread title.

But in response to the actual question the OP asked, if they hire you, you start the job and only then they discover you’re not who you say you are, they’ve wasted a lot of time and effort on you. Of course you need to provide the docs before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Suit of Wolves

Well as a matter of fact, the other criteria that are unique to my profession, also in fact proof my identity. They'll know by my accent that I'm Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭This is it

They've asked for proof that you're eligible to work in Ireland. They've given you multiple options as to how you do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OP you’ve given the explanation for the requirement in your opening post:

I was also asked for documentation to prove my right to work in Ireland

A birth certificate would be a good indication, or a passport, EU ID card or a valid visa. It doesn’t appear as though you’re being asked to provide all of them, though I have seen examples where an employers background checks are far more thorough, because they want to avoid situations where they are found to be not in compliance with Irish, UK or EU labour laws:

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/research/spotlight-research/does-ireland-have-modern-slavery-problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭SVI40

An accent does not prove you nationality. Looks at all the American accents in our young folk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It must be one super dooper company to work for.

Why don't they just check for the details they need with the information you already supplied?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

This is pretty standard, Visa sponsorship costs thousands per applicant and that's often billed to the company

Many job applications nowadays will ask applicants if they have the right to work in Ireland and whether they'll require visa sponsorship later

Presumably the OP is an Irish citizen and the company is asking for proof. They can't just ring up the passport office and ask if Joe Bloggs is an Irish citizen on account of the massive privacy breach that would entail

The company will also likely do a background check using a third party. Again this is costly so they're probably trying to filter applicants as early as they can

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

All they have to do is contact his referees or previous employers.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Pretty much no company gives a reference anymore, at least in the sense of "Joe's a good guy" type of character reference

An employer can't really say anything bad about an employee in a reference because it leaves them open to being sued for defamation.

Also someone might not want their current employer knowing they're looking for a new job. Some managers take that stuff personally

The best you'll often get is a signed letter confirming you are/were an employee. It'll give the dates of your employment and your job title but nothing more

In any case, having a previous employer in Ireland doesn't prove your right to work here, it's possible they didn't do a background check

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Kurooi

There are people, and they're rare, who never made a passport. Their only official document confirming they're a real person is the birth cert. So that's why it's an option there. They want your passport, and that's normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭StormForce13

If Doofus wants the job, one would assume that Doofus would either provide the requested proofs or tell the prospective employer to take a hike. Instead, Doofus decides to ask the rest of the world what it thinks; and, in passing, suggests that they're a bit wary about revealing what age they are! Not really the type of employee that I'd want working as chief filing clerk in my organisation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The new employer is not going to take the word of a referee or previous employer on whether the OP has a legal right to take up this new position. The new employer has a legal duty to prove that every employee they have is legally entitled to work for them, and there are substantial penalties for employers who fail to do this.

This is an incredibly basic check, and failure to comply will likely to result in the OP losing their opportunity

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭Allinall

With that attitude, you’re probably wasting your own, and the potential employers time.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Anyone born in Ireland before 01.01.2005 is automatically an Irish citizen and has the right to work here. There's plenty of people born in Ireland after that date who have Irish accents but are not Irish citizens and their right to work is not so clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭OU812

Are any of the criteria unique to your profession legal documents?

Accents mean diddly squat and prove nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If you’re making this much of an issue of a minor administrative check, they’re probably making a bad hire tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Toys out of the pram about a Birth Cert 😂😂.

• Advertisement

For all you know it might be a simple aptitude test to eliminate people that just do everything thing they're told without question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭This is it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are not even allowed to apply for a job from within the EEA unless you are a citizen, have residence status or another permit that entitles you to seek employment. And there is absolutely no point in wasting time talking to people who don't even have the basic requirements to be considered for the job.

In my experience here in Switzerland, about 15% of the applicants will be a no show once they know we will be checking for valid work documents. Many people chance their arm, hope they'll impress so much and are so far on in the process that you'll try and sponsor them for a work permit, but that does not work.

So if you are still interested, follow the requirement otherwise withdraw.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

My daughter-in-law speaks English with a Mayo accent despite the fact she has never been to Ireland, my wife who is Swiss has a more south Dublin accent, but she lived there for over five years. I speak two Swiss German dialects to a level where most Swiss just assume I come for those regions.

You need to get out more, accents mean nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

OP sounds like a very awkward person.

Why not offer them a baptismal certificate if you're wary of revealing your date of birth?

Or else a photograph from your first birthday party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

“I would've thought that you wouldn't be obliged to show something like a birth cert until you'd actually be hired. Just wondering is there any way a candidate could hide their date of birth during an interview? as they're entitled to do.”

My advice to employers on this issue is to formally request the required information at the point at which a job offer is being made. It can be flagged at interview stage that any subsequent offer of employment will be conditional on the applicant providing the required information within say, two weeks.

It’s convenient for employers to do so in advance as you’ve described because it potentially saves time subsequently. It means a person can start immediately and that there will be no associated delay in providing the required documentation.

However, employers/agencies insisting on ID in advance are at potential risk of GDPR because they’re seeking records that they may not necessarily need. In more serious cases, it may be a form of identity theft from organisations that front as recruitment agencies.

As an individual job seeker, you have the right to insist that any such information will be withheld until a job offer is made. Whether this reduces your chances of a job offer is something you need to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭JVince

If the OP has an issue with such a minor inconsequential request, what issues will the OP have if requested to do a task they don't like?

The fact that the OP seems not to understand that they can provide any one of the several options given would suggest to me that employing the op will be a grave error by the company

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My partner is involved in hiring for her organisation (an organisation of less than 5 employees, based outside of Dublin) and they receive many speculative applications from outside the EU when they advertise a role. I'm not even sure how they stumble across the job advert in the first place. I'm sure you can multiply this type of speculative application many times for large organisations operating out of Ireland. Ensuring someone's right to work in Ireland at the start of the process just makes sense.

I'm not sure an employer can directly ask your date of birth but they can probably roughly guess your age based on other things on your cv like what year you finished college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

“I'm not sure an employer can directly ask your date of birth but they can probably roughly guess your age based on other things on your cv like what year you finished college.”

If they ask for your date of birth and don’t then offer you a job, they’re potentially exposed to a claim of discrimination. I don’t know why they would expose themselves to this risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,528 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not about confirming your identity. It's above work rights. You accent is hardly something they can go by.

What are the "other criteria" that prove your identity?

Advertisement