Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

watched the match, she clearly went in with a plan and it paid off throughout the fight. The hungarian boxer was quite good but ultimately couldnt break the pace she set throughout the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So if it's all a spite match between the IBA and the WBO, what is the significance of the Vice President of the WBO saying they have had concerns about Khelif (and FOUR others) being male for 2 years now?

(I realise he is also Hungarian, but if he reported this to the IOC in 2022, as he claims, then while his reasons for making it public now may well be nationalistic, that does not discredit it. Especially as he says there were five boxers who failed the sex tests at that time.)

Different organization

he's vice president of this:

https://www.wboboxing.com

I'm talking about this:

https://worldboxing.org

I will add its not universal support for Khalif at World Boxing, the captain CAITLIN PARKER of the australian team has also been reported (at least by the telegraph) to be against Khalif participating and she is on the world boxing committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

was part of that plan not to hit the opponent too hard in the face?

• Advertisement

not from what I've seen, she got a few clean jabs in, but so did the other boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Khelif easily won the fight. Won every round on every judges card. Punches were just more powerful than the Hungarian.

That's where that bit about being a man helps.

Something the IOC have accidentally confirmed by the way, when they said this:

Because he's now admitted it IS a DSD case (and not transgender) then that means that the athletes concerned have a DSD that is male-specific. Because if their DSD had been a female specific one, they would not have failed the chromosome test.

It wasn't just pace. It was about the force behind the punches just not being comparable.

And also: in case anyone harbours any notions of the IOC caring about women's safety, or somehow being even slightly "good guys" in all this:

That was the generation of swimmers that Sharron Davies was competing against - the East Germans and the Russians. She, like Martina Navratilova and a number of other female athletes know what they're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Olympics Womens pole vault competition is hotting up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

interesting seeing mixed relays in the running and swimming today….

Thanks. I see there are, IMUIC, four major organisations which sanction professional boxing. The WBA, (World Boxing Association) which has a history of corruption, wants to run future Olympic boxing & supports the IOC position, while it is the WBO which confirms that Imane is male.

Is that correct?

I'm beginning to feel you are being silly now

I gave you a direct link to World Boxing website

https://worldboxing.org/about/

You've gone now and grabbed yet another organization which you could literally put into google and see it takes you to completely different website

https://www.wbaboxing.com

And maybe think 'hmm maybe these are not the same organisation'

I mean it's silly how many groups have taken on variant of World and Boxing.

But I gave you a direct link. A simple google would have cleared this up for you.

I've no idea what the relevance of that is to the discussion though. I mean, yes, obviously, I've already acknowledged that there is more than one "World Boxing" organisation - indeed I said there were four at least. But it's not clear to me what point you're making apart from that. You linked to another of them - what is its importance in the context of this discussion?

And is what I said previously (quoted below) wrong?

The WBA, (World Boxing Association) which has a history of corruption, wants to run future Olympic boxing & supports the IOC position, while it is the WBO which confirms that Imane is male.

Is that correct?

If so, can you correct it please?

Because as far as I am aware World Boxing Association doesnt want to run olympic boxing and is not in the running. World Boxing is (the one I linked) they're the ones who have it as part of their goals and were the ones setting up events last year and are currently at the olympics as observers.

As far as I can find World Boxing Association has made no statement saying they want to run the olympics boxing events going forward. I cant even find any statement from them about 2024 olympics.

I've found articles pre 2020 olympics where they said they wanted to be involved

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1079682/wba-throws-hat-into-ring-to-help-organise-olympic-boxing-competition-at-tokyo-2020

and one in 2018 where they tried to position themselves as the centre of boxing

https://fightnews.com/the-wba-opens-its-doors-to-olympic-boxing/25330

But post 2020 they appear to have said nothing on the matter.

I'll happily take a read of an article that says they are still actively trying to pursue the matter, but they're not the World Boxing group the IBA is picking a fight. So I dont understand the relevence of pointing this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭whatever.

It means they are not really women and are oppressing actual women

Just trying to sort out in my mind who's who. I don't follow boxing as a rule (though I am interested in women's sport in general, and certain sports in particular, just not combat sports).

The point that I'm now unclear on is whether another group than the IBA has also said that Imane Khelif is male or whether the IBA is somehow part of the WBO, in which case this might be just a repetition of the previous info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So many questions still swirling around re Khalif & Ting, are they this and are they that, are they even eligible at all for the women's catagory?

I came to the conclusion early on that they are not Trans, but probably have DSDs, so I cut them some slack & have been waiting to see what comes out in the wash, so to speak. Still waiting …..

However, after watching one news report I now have one New question (which may change my perception completely)!

So "are they what you might call intersex"? Is that a term you might attribute to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

whatever will stop the sht show of this olympics , women's events should only be for XX , and as there is no super male genetics that I am aware of no need to test for male genetics just whatever drug rules there are, seems a simple enough issue that can be cleared up.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Intersex is just an outdated term for certain DSD conditions.

Intersex is the older term for DSD, disorders of sexual development, so I suppose the answer to that is yes.

However the reason that "intersex" is no longer the medical term of choice is because it is misleading. Those affected are not "between" the two sexes. Instead, there's a set of different DSDs, some of which affect males, others only females.

Caster Semenya's DSD (which it's suggested Khelif may also have) is called 5-ARD: little boys suffering from it may appear to be baby girls upon inspection at birth (one of the rare instances where sex can genuinely be mistakenly assigned, though oddly this seems to no longer be a thing for the TRAs, who insist that Khelif was "born a woman" rather than AFAB!).

However as boys with 5-ARD have functioning internal testes, at puberty they undergo all the changes of male puberty, and the diagnosis is generally made by then if not before.

IOW Semenya is male. We know this because his appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) publishes its judgments. (He has also fathered children.) Since Khelif's appeal was withdrawn before the CAS gave its judgment, the 5-ARD diagnosis has not been confirmed, but one may guess why the appeal was withdrawn, and why no new test was carried out if IBA corruption was suspected.

One simple solution to this and to the trans controversies would be to have the female category as a protected one, like "minor" etc, and to make the "male" category an open one. That way any XX athletes (whether DSD or not) who wished to could compete in the "male" category.

If they have a DSD that means they have experienced male puberty though, then IMO safety concerns mean they should probably not compete against women in combat sports.

Though TBF it's so rare that a case by case examination would be both feasible and advisable:

It is estimated that 1 of every 20,000 to 30,000 males has a 46,XX karyotype, making it much less common than other related syndromes 

How many of them end up as Olympic level athletes??

So they are of the i …….

Wasn't planning on this, but surprisingly my attention has been pushed towards the LGBTQi, as it seems that the i comes under their umbrella for "inclusion" and/or intersex. This (for me) now puts a completely different light on them and as to who & what they really are, with XY chromosomes 🤔.

This Sky News clip caught my eye.

I don't think that's the doing of people with DSDs though - many of them object strongly to being considered part of an identity, and complain that their medical issues are being hijacked for ideological reasons, ie to push the claim that sex is not a binary. In reality of course they no more illustrate such a thing than babies born with a hand missing "prove" that the number of limbs that humans have is random.

Agreed, its not the doing of the two boxers with DSDs, for I feel sorry for them being caught in the middle of this firestorm. The blame clearly lies with the organisers, the IOC (Mark Adams) and his/their policy of "inclusion" - at any cost. That is, if the Sky report is to believed.

Indeed.

It also illustrates why so-called "compromises" such as having self declaration for non elite sports are a terrible idea: these issues need to be sorted out well before an individual is in the public eye or has a chance of a major medal.

It's unfair to Khelif that this is happening now - it should have been made clear to him at 13 or 14 that he was going to have to compete against boys, not girls. Not wait until he has spent years trying to get to an elite level, even apart from the public humiliation.

But as you say, that's the fault of the sports authorities, not Angela Carini. She's not the one who should have to apologise to Khelif.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

And it wasn't just the drugs: they used to impregnate young teens and abort their pregnancies to get the benefit of the pregnancy hormones.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭greyday

I would be very worried what happens at the LA games when you see what has been allowed happen in America the last number of years,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No handshake and X sign

Advertisement