Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost - The Greatest TV Show Ever!

• 04-08-2024 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

This could of gone into the TV section, but I think it carries a greater general appeal and interest. I remember when this came out, after a couple of seasons, it was well on it's way to being labelled the greatest TV show ever. Blew everything out of the water. Then with TV strikes and people losing track of it, it's legacy has subsequently become less favourable. Which I think is unfair. I'd still regard it as arguably the greatest show ever.

No show has ever generated the sheer mass hysteria of Lost, and this was pre-mainstream internet and forums. People wondering "what is down the hole" had people unable to sleep ha. No show has ever had cliffhangers, or people "needing to know" what happens next, to the level of Lost. It completely broke new ground in the fantasy genre, and ramping up from Sopranos, really took cinema to TV.

See I went back and rewatched it all, and the problem was back then, if you missed an episode you were gone. Now you can watch episodes back to back, and when you do with Lost, you aren't forgetting and missing the plot by season 4. People said the quality dipped, it actually didn't on rewatch, it's just everyone was "lost" by that point. People said loose ends wern't tied up etc, these were just popular soundbites to reel off by people who never actually finished it. On rewatch, the drop in quality and loose end stuff doesn't hold up.

The other thing was it became convoluted with sideways flashes of parallel lives, but again, week to week, people lost track of it. If you watch it all back to back, it all makes far more sense.

I think in certain quaters, this shows legacy isn't what it should be. If people rewatch it, you'll remember just how good it was. At it's best, it's probably some of the best TV ever, if not a level above anything else we've seen before or since. There's been nothing like it before or since imo, no show has ever been so addictive once you get going. Before I rewatched it, I was even doubting myself, "maybe it wasn't as good as I remember it". But I'm glad I did rewatch it, it's blockbuster TV. I'd strongly advise people to go back to it and finish it the whole way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanrambo87

Will do dropped out after season 4 for aforementioned problems.....tech etc. I really enjoyed this but then after missing out on a period was completely lost upon my return. 1st season was amazing as far as I remember. I'm always looking for something to watch with the missus when kids are asleep. Thanks for putting it on my radar again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Started great then just became a meandering mess with each season getting worse where the writers just made stuff up to add more seasons to it and everyone hoping for an explanation and getting none - was still addicted to it til the end then thinking is that it?

Lot of parallels to From with producers from the same barn - hoping they don't go down the same road with this show even tho they say there is a conclusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It could have had its storyline from start to finish wrapped up in a 2 hour movie to be honest.

Started out well, turned worse, ended up nonsense.

Then you look back and think, wtf was that all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭con747

^^^^^^

Yep, and then the ending……

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ah - no ,

Great first season,really enjoyed the second too, started to fade a bit in series 3, gave up on series 4 and 5 , because of the hype I went back for the final season , regretted that

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,907 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The show had messy moments and clearly wasn't fully thought out at the beginning and they started making it up as they went.

But when it was in its stride it was fantastic. Walkabout and The Constant are two amazing episodes of any TV show.

Linus, Locke, Desmond, Charlie, Sawyer, Sun, Juliet and Jack were brilliant characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Agree with this. I watched the whole series back during Covid and, despite it being one of my favorite shows ever, it was certainly frustrating at times. However, at it's best, it was the best. But it just couldn't sustain that peak imo.

In addition to the episodes you mentioned, Through the Looking Glass (i.e. "not Penny's boat") is one of the greatest hours of television you will find.

I also forgot Eko and Hurley from the great character section.

And we've both criminally forgot Dr. Linus where Michael Emmerson gave arguably the greatest TV performance ever filmed with two utterly contrasting versions of Linus.

Post edited by pjohnson on

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Charlo30

Thought they made a bit of a mistake in Season 2 when in a scene they clearly showed the book The Third Policemen by Flann O'Brien. Anyone familiar with the novel would have put 2 & 2 together and released what was going on

Didn't see the end! I missed maybe last season and a half..got very bored of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Lost is the reason I cannot watch anything unless it is all there, ready to binge. The end of the show made me feel like I had wasted soooo much time, and I loved it the whole way through. Very disappointing😞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The issue with Lost was they hyped up the secrets and mysteries so much and promised everything would be answered, but then the hype of the show kept building and they kept having to up the ante so much yet still try give answers in the end even though the answers were never going to satisfy people. Especially since the mysteries got so huge and complex that the only explanation possible was just "magic".

When the show focused on the characters, it was a damn good show, and when you rewatch it through that lens and stop looking for the answers to everything and just enjoy the ride, it's a great show. Not one of the greatest ever in my opinion (heavily padded in Season 3 and too much trying to give explanations for everything in Season 6 to the detriment of the characters), but a great show nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

I think everyone guessed the ending after the pilot episode only to be told by the makers of the show that wasn’t the ending so everyone stuck with for years only to find out they were right about the ending and wasted 5/6 years watching it.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not really.

People guessed the island was purgatory and that they all died in the crash. I think that was the original plan but since everyone figured it out they changed it and came up with a bunch of mumbojumbo as to why the island was special, why they survived etc. So everything that happened on the island did actually happen and they were all alive. It was only the Flash-sideways in Season 6 that was purgatory.

But also like I said in my post, if you watch it for the mystery and explanations, bad show. If you watch it for the characters and focus on that, while just enjoying the crazy reveals and twists along the way without over-analysing them, it's a good to great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I fully agree it’s a wonderful show and gets a hard time nowadays. The amount of people I’ve spoken to who have misunderstood what the ending was is incredible. Even with Jacks dad spending 5 minutes spoon feeding it to the audience

Some of the best tv characters in history were in that show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's definitely one of the most influential pieces of television ever. I think it completely changed how people watch TV. Coming alongside the rise of social media,it brought the now constant theory culture to the fore. No show before it carried such consistent levels of intrigue every week.

It started out as a great TV, then the plot went wonky, but it stayed afloat because it has great characters that like-it-or-not, you became invested in.

Later seasons were fairly messy, but still had compelling moments. The Constant being an obvious one. We have to go back, etc

I've revisited it, and the criticisms, while overstated, are still somewhat valid.

I think it set a high, but achievable bar for what TV shows could be, and paved the way for the era that followed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I really enjoyed it at the start, a survival adventure with some mysterious elements and great characters. As it became increasingly complex and bizarre, I enjoyed it less but still watched to the end.

I think it was one of the last big shows before streaming/on demand took over. People would be talking about it in work etc. the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I was just about to post that exact thing!

First 2 seasons were fantastic. It dropped out in quality after season 2 IMO.

I suspect the original plan had been for 3 seasons, but ABC then said "No way can you end the most popular TV show in history after only 3 seasons, so write some more stuff". So they made up a load of irrelevant stuff and filler episodes, Remember Exposé?

The ending, biggest disappointment in TV history in my opinion.

As SUVgirl says, I now don't start something until I know it has finished, and hasn't been cancelled. Or the main characters actor hasn't been indicted for sexual assault.

I dont think any TV show has ever (or will ever going by the programmes since) replicate the amount of brilliant characters LOST had. Thats what kept the show going while some plot points imploded or went nowhere but the characters just carried it through.

Yeah the ending was really clear cut and I think the confusion is just from people who didn't actually watch season 6. As well as Jacks dad Linus final moments outside the church were screaming in the audience face that this (sideways) was purgatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Loved the show, everyone was watching and talking about Lost, and we had great hopes that the ending was going to somehow justify how long they drew out the whole storyline for . . . but it didn't.

Those final scenes in the (Catholic?) church with the statues looking on . . so disappointing.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's no where near the level of The Prisoner 40 years before Lost or Twin Peaks 20 years before Lost which it stole ideas liberally from.

I'd also disagree….

No show has ever generated the sheer mass hysteria of Lost, and this was pre-mainstream internet and forums.

Twin Peaks 20 years before and The X-Files 10 years before it did the same when they caught the zeitgeist of their times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

True, and The X-Files was consistently good for 11 seasons. Lost was good for 2 maybe 3 seasons at the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I remember this coming out alright and my Irish Civil Instructor going on about it. Would not have heard of it except for him. I watched maybe to season 3 and got bored of it.

I don't think it was the greatest TV Show ever.

Maybe you have never seen Star Trek DS9 but I would class that as way better or ever Battlestar Galactica the remastered version. I guess it's what your into.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,611 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

came to it late. Couldn’t get into it. A lot of more recent commentary has it as somewhat overrated / overhyped compared to its critically elevated status at the time…I’m inclined to believe….or agree with anyway having tried to get into it and failed…

Then again I’m inclined to compare anything in the realm of TV series to my favourite…The Sopranos, which I believe is stunning.

The mystery/theories about what the island was and why they were there was about the only thing that kept it going.

There's not a hope that anybody would give this a rewatch because it was good tv, or even well written.

Generated a bit of interest but that's it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Binging Sopranos right now.

I was hooked on Lost from episode one, but I really don't know if they did have a plan for how to end it, or if they were just making it up as they went along. Part of me suspects the latter.

Back in 2005, J.J. Abrams promised that one of the most popular theories about Lost was not true. In 2006, Damon Lindelof did the same. They were so convincing in their denials.

Then in the end.

Turns out, they'd been in purgatory or a kind of purgatory all that time.

After vehemently denying it for so long. Makes me think, they didnt know how to end it, and then went with that option.

Except there was no purgatory until the "sideways" timeline which was purgatory. That was pretty clear so they knew that part.

They undoubtedly started making it up as they went to fill episodes out, the 2 fùcking disaster characters (Nikki and Phillipe?) that were introduced, despised and immediately killed off and never mentioned again being hilarious proof of that.

They did know their ending though and that was never a lie. Its one of those weird mandela effects when people claim that quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,758 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One of tvs biggest disappointments ever.

They got everyone hooked, and we all kept watching because the writers said all the guesses were wrong, despite them being right all along.

My final disappointment over how it ended changed how I approached a lot of later longer series. I quit many early if I wasn't enjoying, having less patience for ones which could potentially do another Lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭PressRun

I think people are generally quite revisionist about this show nowadays. It was certainly a 'moment' when it first came out and lots of people were talking about it, but I also remember the consensus being that the show had great potential that it failed to fulfil and I would tend to agree with that. It certainly lost its way after a certain point. In contrast to something like The Sopranos, which during Covid seemed to go through a period of being "discovered" by viewers who were too young for it first time around - that has aged wonderfully and is as resonant as it ever was, even with a whole new audience. I don't think Lost is anywhere near that standard.

Also, the X-Files was a huge TV moment too. Watching it back now, it's certainly a 90s time capsule, but it's quirky and unique and you can easily still see why people were obsessed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭L Grey

Dallas - The Greatest TV Show Ever!

Advertisement