Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Teenagers Can't vote. Given there's an election every 5 years, the average age a voter is first eligible to vote in an election is 20 and 6 months.

Given the people who already own houses are disproportionately represented, there's less incentive to actually build houses. Encouraging young people without houses to vote would be one way to actually promote housing as a serous issue politicians need to deal with to get votes. Banning younger people from voting is likely to have the opposite effect, don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I.honestly don't think it'll have any effect pn teenage involvement in politics one way or the other.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Banning them from voting doesn't have an effect?

Explain that to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Effect on what,exactly?

What do you think my point was? Because I'm not against the idea - I just don't think it'll have the desired effect.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

The Brits did a lot of good for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Effect on exactly what you said. Effect on teenage involvement in politics.

Are you saying you don't think teenage involvement in politics would increase with allowing them to actually vote?

Exactly what I said - they still won't bother to get involved. They might vote, but that's about it - amd even so, the demoegraphic won't realistically change anything.

Ins't increasing their voting turnout the main goal?

They won't be all running around with leaflets and going to party meetings, but most people over 18 aren't doing that regularly either. I always vote and have never joined a party. Wouldn't it be enough of more of them voted regularly?

• Advertisement

One Eye Jack said "the worst it would do is get more young people interested in politics if they have an investment in the outcome" and it's this I was responding to. Voting is not necessarily getting someone interested in politics.

It won't necessarily increase voter tunrout unless the actually vote - in terms of percetage, they'd at least need to attain the national average.

Voter Turnout wouldn't increase unless they voted at the same rate as the rest of the population. But increased votes in total by young people would force politicians to prioritise their issues more than they do now. At the momen, old people with homes outvoted young people without homes by 2:1. And I think it's not a coincidence that the government doesn't really bother to solve the housing shortage.

Housing Is just one issue, but I think it would have an impact on plenty of issues if more young people weren't barred from voting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Kelly Harrginton isn't a great boxer, was watching her fight yesterday, I was shocked at the amount of missed shots, each boxer was maybe landing one out of 6 or 7 swings, it was like they had their eyes closed.

I'd like to know what the people protesting and even the people rioting across the UK and Ireland, actually want. Not a silly strawman "they're just thugs and racists" by middle class people. Also not self interested people like Farage and Tommy Robinson.

People who are getting a fair shake in life don't turn to violence. We know from our own history that violence comes after long-term inequality. We revere our violent rebels. We don't necessarily love the violence but we know about the inequalities thst caused it. Similar to the hammas boys. Don't love the violence but we understand the inequalities that caused it.

If, for example, they're cross because they live in areas with crap schools, crap job prospects, no chance of owning a house or having a family without state help, and they resent seeing immigrants come in and add to the population, then that's something I can understand. The solution is better schools, and better job prospects, home ownership and family prospects.

If they're just mindless thugs without a legitimate grievance, then how are they organised and coordinated?

The protestors (as distinct from the rioters) need a representative to calmly put across their point and then we can judge if they have a point or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I know, I know. That's the line, no need to find out more information. God forbid we find out they have a legitimate grievance underlying the protests and the anger.

It's as clever as when the British told each other the Irish were just acting out because they're an inherently uncivilised, violent people sono need to ask any more questions.

They don't.

Some people just like chaos, enjoy causing damage and disturbing the Peace

Right youre saying exactlythe things im on about. I'm not sure if you're doing it as satire or a genuine example of what I'm talking about.

I want to hear from them to judge for myself whether they have a genuine grievance or not. Not the self-interested Farage and Robinson, also not the clueless yob (remember the lad I the football jersey who said "they're coming here, taking our jobs and they're not even working"?). Someone who can sum up the underlying concerns, without reductive strawman stuff like you've done above.

Apologies if you're doing satire. It's hard to tell in text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

They want less immigration, especially less non white European immigration. They don't want government sanctioned immigrants being forced into their towns and estates. They don't want to see what I saw in one estate in Galway, where the only English speakers I came across were black. Maybe they are xenophobic and racist for wanting these, but they should not be ignored, ignoring them will turn them to violence and extremists.

'they are xenophobic and racist' yep, they are.

Yep, they should not be ignored, they should be stopped, forcibly if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're racists and if the best counterargument you have is to trot out the trope that everyone who disagrees is middle class then it sounds as if you aren't asking a question. They've attempted to destroy communities. They've even attacked community libraries designed to help local people. They're racists, they're Nazis and all they want is an excuse to wreak havoc. It is that simple.

The poor darlings with legitimate concerns shtick has been thoroughly debunked here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Well in the North they want to protect Christianity, given that it's not too long ago they would have wanted to protect Protestantism we can probably call that progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

The Farages and Lepens will not ignore them and we will get violence, looting and arson. Oh, wait...

I'm not sure I've seen them seriously asked what they actually want and why they're so angry, through a grassroots representative, let alone the answers been debunked.

There are protests in my city, but they're not in the part I live in because it's grand part and me and my neighbours are doing fine, relatively speaking (stable jobs etc). We have nothing to fear from immigration. What's the difference between me and the people protesting?

I don't believe the immigrants are mass raping or committing a wave of violent crimes because it would show up in the stats. So the protestors are either completely wrong or they have experiences that I don't have. Asking questions will show which one it is.

Yeah, and when the Israelis say the similar stuff about the people in Gaza, I don't find it convincing either. I

@Cordell

OK, I get they want less immigration. I'm asking why immigration is a problem in their area.

If it doesn't go any deeper than not liking people who are different, then fine, they're just racist. If it does go further than that, what are the reasons they don't want immigrants?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're trying to kill BAME people, destroying libraries and wrecking communities. I don't think we need the cream of the crop to figure this one out.

I've noticed your snuck premise. They're not protesting, they're committing acts of violence. If you sympathise, you're entitled to do so but it would be nice to drop the pretence.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I thought Brexit was going to solve all their problems.

I don't sympathise. I made a distinction earlier between the protestors and the rioters. I didn't do it in every post but it's implied. I'm presuming the majority of people at the "event" "protest" "rallies"(not sure what you want me to call it) are not rioting.

• Advertisement

Yes, like I said, they should not be ignored, they should be stopped, now, forcibly if necessary

Advertisement