Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh I know I don't rely on them but as the national weather forecaster are they not mortified when it's lashing rain outside and their own reports show this yet they don't bother changing the local graphic🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

A nothing morning. Rain has cleared, it’s grey, little to no wind, 16c N Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - Rain warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy and persistent rain with strong and gusty southerly winds, especially in exposed areas.

Impacts

• Flooding expected
    • Very difficult travelling conditions
    • Poor visibility

Valid: 00:00 Monday 05/08/2024 to 10:00 Monday

05/08/2024

Issued: 09:11 Sunday 04/08/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

hello from glorious Malaga. Beautiful blue skies glorious sunshine actual proper hot weather. No pretending no making the best of it no dress appropriately just pure unadulterated bliss for anyone who loves sunshine heat outdoor living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

You timed that very well if you've just arrived there.😀 You got the good weather here as a taster before going to real heat. I love when that happens to me. I was delighted not to miss that rare few days we got here, but today it feels like a distant memory as it's just miserable, nothing much you could do today without the raingear. Might brighten up later but temps back down to teens.😒 I'm off myself next weekend for my last blast of real summer, can't wait!

Enjoy! 😁

o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭champchamp

Has there been a fine weekend this Summer yet, any of the nice weather seems to have landed midweek?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭highdef

I don't recall any full weekends that were very nice throughout.

Does anyone know what the pink hue is to the South West of Ireland, currently viewable on the visible satellite imagery?

Post edited by highdef on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I think it's more the principle of them being there. We may be well-informed ourselves on the forum but not everybody reads it and the average Joe will look at them as their forecast unknowingly that they're computer generated. You see it all the time with the UK audience on places like Twitter when some try to disprove live temperature recordings from stations and using their weather app, which is a forecast and not live temperatures, as "evidence". Also get a lot of "but your app said this X which is completely different to what you said on Y".

The Met Office even modify some of the computer generated forecasts themselves for specific locations manually to make some more accurate which it wouldn't surprise me if somebody out there used this as a conspiracy that they manipulate the data for an agenda. Obviously Met Éireann don't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Jizique

What part?

Not a bad day at all, light shower around 10 but been out on bike since then and it is a bit overcast but no rain

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Thunder87

Similar here in Barcelona, 30C with clear cloudless skies. 15C with mist and drizzle when I left Dublin early this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Light rain from around 4am in Lucan. Starting to dry now, but still some drizzle. Grey and, of course, windy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭squarecircles

YEP and all the native folk going about enjoying it without having to pay 350 euro a night to stay inside 4 brick walls.

the hotels in Barcelona are really starting to take the piss with their prices. Imagine 7 nights in a standard hotel now costing 4000 euro for a single room.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orchidkey

Obviously Met Éireann don't do that.

Why don't they? Is that not their job to forecast the weather? If the computer models are not accurate, then they should be adjusting the graphics and forecast maps manually to be more accurate.

I'd be shamed working there, looking at the ME website saying one thing and look out the window at the lashing rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A miserable day here in Meath, cool, wet and windy. I'll be opening the Autumn short range and FI threads earlier this year than usual on the 27th of August as I'll be in southern Spain from the 28th of August. I'm counting down the days, hours, minutes and seconds till that plane takes off from Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I think this is the first orange warning since the May orange warning for thunderstorms. Not much has happened this summer.

Currently raining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Next weekend will be similar, with the remnants of Hurricane Debbie dumping its rain and wind on us. Christ on a bike, will it just end, for the love of Jereselum, make it stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

ON the sligo train back to carrick and half the passengers are Leitrim fans , they won over Tyrone by a single point , at least the weather stayed dry for the match, I'll be heading back into rain once I get home , fairly mild here in Dublin lovely and pleasant at least

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No rain this afternoon in Greystones but it is gloomy/dark and breezy. Perfect day for watching Olympics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭appledrop

North County Dublin. Rained here from 3am till 12pm and then again from 2pm-4pm.

It wasn't heavy rain but you wouldn't be out and about in iteverything outdoors all saturated.

The 8 year old was happy though he got a cinema day and plenty of screen time at home.

The best bit of all for him was not having to put suncream on😁

There was days last week when it had to be applied 3 times!

Every cloud has a silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Its roasting out here in carrick 18c house is actually colder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Escaped the rain here in Kerry apart from some short lived patchy drizzle a few times, blasts of sunshine also making it feel quite warm. Was out on the coast and rummaging in rivers, it is a while since I felt such a warm humid breeze ,getting up to 21C and still very mild at 19.3C but quite dull now. I was glad I had a back pack to put my light jacket in and to carry a bottle of water which I needed, warm in the waders today 😁 but worth it finding a few nice old bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭pauldry

Escaped rain in Shannon today and Limerick. Just windy n warm. Around June 21st to July 31st is peak Summer if you ask me. Whatever happens now 2024 will go down as a cool and poor Summer as only 3 weeks of August till kids start going back to school and no signs of anything settled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Escaped all the rain in GAA HQ today. Lashed all the way in from Meath. Must have got passed the precip line when we parked.

Dark, breezy and dry in Meath this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭alentejo

Loving the wall to wall sunshine in Portugal. Dreading returning to Ireland.

Love Ireland, but the weather can really wear you down!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭glightning

Probably tropical storm Debby setting its sights on Ireland for next weekend! 🤣

Joke of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭doyle55

I didn't know it would be so warm tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Thorny Queen

I know it might be too early to tell but what is weather looking like for South Donegal on Saturday? Having a children's party and not sure whether to replan for an indoor event or not. Still traumatised by the lashing rain today. Would have got saturated with hypothermia!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very warm night here in Meath, close to 20C. It's warmer now than it was during daylight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wet evening in Galway but my god is it exceptionally mild. Shannon airport reporting 20°c at 00:30, very rare sight, especially given it was not a particularly hot day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Raining non stop all day

Advertisement