Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Sinn Fein fix the housing crisis or is it beyond them or anybody else?

1242526272830»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭standardg60

You don't have to worry because it will never happen. Essentially SF's plan amounts to individual citizens financing the building of social housing. Anyone, or couple, earning 90k which is what this whole fallacy is based on is going to save and buy a house on it's own land. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

@Clo-Clo These are the links you are looking for after you conveniently ignored them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

SF plan to create a separate market for affordable houses.

If there is a drop in demand for "regular" houses, then yes, "regular" house prices may fall.

However, there is so much latent demand that I don't think this will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭thereiver

We,d have to go into recession for house prices to fall there's a lot of people out there who would buy a house if the supply was there instead of paying high rent .I don't think anyone believes that Sinn Fein has a viable plan to fix the housing crisis .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It is beyond everyone because of the current government.

My friend works for a big builder and in his mid thirties he is the oldest person on the site.

My uncle works on a site and said nobody in their twenties is on it.

I would wager their are more irish builders in their twenties working on sites in Australia than here.

I can imagine busting your balls for a few hundred a week, then going back to mammy's house or a kip that costs a fortune to rent.

Unfortunately being irish and hardworking makes it impossible to get a house, so we keep training them up and sending them off for Australia to benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The idea that anyone working in construction is earning "a few hundred a week" is obviously laughable. On top of that no one is moving to Australia for its cheap and available housing because it's worse than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

WHo said Australia is cheap and available.

My friends son is renting a place in Melbourne when he couldn't get anywhere here.

We accept mediocrity here that's why the country is fcuked.

Post edited by Backstreet Moyes on

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭thereiver

If you move to Australia for cheap housing you are stupid I think an ordinary house in Australia is over 300k the problem is why would builders move here to pay 2k per month rent I think people move to oz cos it's a nice place to live and get work experience

The economy is booming out population just increased in the last 5 years with no major increase in the no of houses available to rent or buy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The vast majority that travel are doungbit for the experience. My nephew went he had a place here and it was very reasonable. He finished his training as a plumber and went he was working for an uncle of his. As he said to his parents if he did not like it he be home in 1-2 years if he did it would be 5+. He be staying 5 years I would say

Another lad locally that has gone had his own business in the food sector. He is gone for 12 months his parents along with a manager are running the business while he is away.

This is a great county. Australia has it advantages while you are young. But education costs a fortune as well as housing. Yes the money is good but if you do not learn discipline fast you could be in trouble. I know of two that were deported. If you have any sort of criminal record for assault or drugs you will struggle to enter and if you do enter and come to the attention of the police you will be deported

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Regardless of what policy Sinn Fein has on housing and whether it will work in practice, I don't see them fixing the housing crisis in Ireland because they lost a third of their base over the immigration issue, and so are unlikely to get into power and be in any position to be fix crises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Sinn Fein claim they will build 300000 homes by the end of 2029, so let’s say they magically gained every seat in the Dail tomorrow and didn’t have any opposition until then.. That’s 152 homes a day, every day until December 31st 2029.

How anyone could vote for these absolute spoof artists astounds me. They’ll be no different than FFG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,560 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I find it funny that they say that wealthier parts of Dublin should have more centres etc. an absolutely silly idea that I doubt they believe themselves, I doubt their base believes them

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement