Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Balagan1

Let us count the ways.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/israeli-hostages-confirmed-dead-after-army-finds-six-bodies-in-gaza-13207541

Post edited by Balagan1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,612 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Absolute sickening to see Hamas killed 6 hostages before they could be rescued

What scum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Economics101

It would seem that Hamas did this to sabotage any chance of a ceasefire. They have always treated the lives of Gazans as expendable. Unfortunately Israelis have let themselves get dragged down to a similar level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is it confirmed how they died? The IDF "precision strikes" haven't been too precise………Given the abandon with which they blew hostages being abducted to smithereens back in October, and the time they killed the three lads stripped and waving white flags,

They do come across as seeming to be more interested in recovering bodies then actually getting them back alive through negotiation

And before anyone loses their sh1t, I don't doubt that Hamas could have summarily executed them either. In many ways it would be a logical strategic response to try to deter future operations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I'm assuming you've some sort of source for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The lives of hostages are expendable to both sides. Nethanyu clearly doesn't give a damn about the hostages. Even his own negotiators are frustrated with him.

It's hard to know what happened in this incident. Hamas could well have murdered the hostages to try and deter further operations. On the other hand I wouldn't put it past the IDF to lie either if it was their fire that led to their deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Ultimately Netanyahu's reticence to negotiate for the hostages lives has killed them. He could have negotiated the release of the final hostages like he did in November last year and then set about trying to destroy Hamas. But Hamas having the hostages still is the only thing that Israel supporters can point to as justification when they keep supporting the killing of civilians in Gaza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Economics101

None of the other posts reacting to these killings cite sources; they are just a reaction to what's generally publicly reported..

From to-day's BBC: A senior Hamas official, Izzat al-Rishq, insisted Israel was responsible for their deaths, as it has refused to sign a ceasefire deal.

Is this some sort of Hamas "justification" for these killings?

Is requiring a source justification?

Here's one for you, from Israeli negotiator Gershon Baskin:

https://x.com/gershonbaskin/status/1829808934560973232?t=KSGlCbcGx3u1yXnC9692eg&s=19

Who's said that negotiations have been constantly hampered by Israel. So I'm gonna assume you've some sort of proof that Hamas killed their only source of leverage to avoid continuing negotiations. Anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Netanyahu doesn't care for these hostages, they don't negotiate ,they just storm in guns blazing, and to hell with the consequences . These people are kept safe and alive for months on end, until the IDF get involved that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Just how will he deliver on his promise to track down those who killed this batch of hostages. His forces have already killed and maimed many thousands of civilians, caused massive structural damage in a densely populated area. No real way to escalate this further other than to engage in further population reduction measures.

To be clear, are you claiming that Israel murdered these 6 hostages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Caused their demise through their absolute reluctance to thread carefully. These 6 people were alive and well until the IDF showed up.

I don't know if they were Baglan1. What I do know is the IDF has killed hostages before. With this in mind-

To be clear, do you believe the three hostages, who were shot while holding white flags , were murdered by Israel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,135 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Both sides are scum. Clearly and obviously. I notice you made no mention of the innocent women, men and children, now well over 40,000 murdered by Israel. Again both sides are murderers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,692 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Netanyahu hasn’t really given much indication he cares for the hostages lives that much, and frankly given his criminal entanglements he has every reason to drag out their situation. The minute the hostages are not a factor, the support for destroying Gaza will erode, and when the war ends, Israel will push hard for snap elections, getting Bibi out of power, and resumption of his criminal prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭batman75

In trying to save his own neck Netanyahu may well destroy Israel. Harris and Biden are just as culpable as Netanyahu in the genocide in Gaza. Trump's own son in law was talking about the real estate possibilities offered by Gaza. That's the level of people you have in and around the US administrations. You had Seldowitz a former middle east adviser to Obama giving an Arab street vendor disgusting abuse in NY.

Israel will either bleed out as a country or be destroyed ala Gaza by a combination of Hezbollah and Iran. A sense a hesitation on those parties to do it but Netanyahu may push them to a point where they have to. As others have pointed out Netanyahu doesn't give a toss about the hostages.

Israel isn't going anywhere, not while America continues to back them.

I do agree with the Israel can do no wrong brigade that it has a right to self defense and it is important they are militarily superior to their enemies for the purpose of deterrence, but this does not give them the right to act like total scumbags and violate international law. I really see little difference between Sinwar and Bibi now;two psychopaths who don't give a toss for their own people only for their own survival at all costs

Let's just say I won't shed a tear for Bibi or Sinwar when father time catches up with the two of them. The world will be a better place without these scumbags in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭engineerws

Eh? Are you saying 6 hostages killed by Hamas? Is it more likely they were executed by the IDF?

Last report of sde teiman Israeli torture camp was 35 Palestinians killed although who knows whether the number is not higher.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/06/world/middleeast/israel-gaza-detention-base.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ignacius

Netanyahu and his government are interested in the greater expansion of Israel. They have been doing this for over 50 years. They have used this period to accelerate that. They are going to wipe all of the Palestinians off the map supported by the US.
    They will see the deaths of these hostages in the same way as a few IDF soldiers being killed expanding the land or defending settlers. They don’t care how many Palestinians they kill.

Engaging with anybody who supports the Israeli government is futile. Their position is morally bankrupt. They will only engage to try to muddy waters or engage in whataboutism.

In the short term, nothing can stop their expansion. Only the long term can be their downfall and we all need to call them out in every possible way we can. I think most people feel so helpless. I’m always interested in anything we can do even for future generations to understand this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Nice to see pressure being put on Netanyahu by the decent Israelis out there, however will this spur on the terrorists to kill off more hostages? Assuming that there are still some alive of course

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0902/1467846-israel-gaza/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Yvonne007

So… the overton window has shifted to such a degree where now the "progressive" left leaning people openly state their dislike for Jews, and simultaniously think it's ok to call people that don't agree with them Nazis.

Fascistnating… I mean fascinating

negotiatiating with terrorists is a bad thing isn't it?

They've been at the auld ethnic cleansing/expulsion/genocide for years but doing it on a farm by farm basis is a slow process. Of course you do it in as brutal a way as they are but you expose yourself to the world as the facist, racist, apartheid, ethno-state that you always were. I mean would the Middle East's most liberal democracy really try to sterilize it's own Jewish citizens? Probably the wrong type of Jew though eh?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/feb/28/ethiopian-women-given-contraceptives-israel

The only thing they are accelerating is the speed at which that monstrosity collapses at. Many Israeli scholars as well as former IDF/Shin Bet operatives have said as much. They didn't think Apartheid SA was going anywhere until it did effectively overnight.

In a fucked up way, the discovery of these 6 hostages is kinda good for both OP and the US. It detracts away from all the other war crimes they are perpetrating (something like 60+ Palastinians were killed in the past 24 hours, I've seen varying reports from different places) whilst allowing them to pay lip service and justify why they are the cretins they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Randycove

ultimately, it was bullet fired at close range by a Hamas fighter that killed them.

No excuses or whataboutery can change that.

They did it before and release 105 hostages. How is that a bad thing? Is it not Israel's objective to get the hostages back alive?

Peace in the North was achieved by negotiating with terrorists.

I think the standard thinking that if you do negotiate with terrorists, it will increase the likelihood of similar instances occurring in the future.

They could have been released by Hamas if Israel had negotiated similar to what they did in November last year. 105 hostages were released at that time so the capacity was there to get the remaining hostages back in the same way.

Bibi is just not willing to negotiate and the chance of the hostages being killed now has been greatly increasing by pounding Gaza for the intervening 9 months. His tactics are not working and the hostages' families can see that.

• Advertisement

Advertisement