Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭RoTelly

@Gen.Zhukov I probably should have used better examples … Doireann Garrihy, Jenny z and the westlife singer. But regardless of my pedantry I am agreeing with you.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanrambo87

I've read this thread from start to finish and I have to say; I've received far more valuable content and entertainment on here than I have in 37 years of being subjected to rte's offerings. I really have no more to add except to thank the few people on here who are more deserving of a pulitzer than any journalist I can think of. Oh and to thank rte for providing the content gratis........if only they had of ran with this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I'm not in any way defending the cooking of the books, but I do think Claire Byrne is more valuable than Joe Duffy and his 350k.

Pat Kenny said on his radio programme last week that when he started at RTE he was a low level radio announcer and the DG told him, if he wanted to be a "top star", he had to leave RTE emplyment, and be a contractor. He said, he imagined there were a lot of long time RTE workers who would appreciate their salary being pensionable.

I work as a contractor in IT, and Ive had a few companies screw me around. One place fired me in December and tried to rehire me in Feburary, because there end of year figures looked better without my invoices. With RTE having so many contractors, theres all kinds of ways to cook the books. Employment Payment can get masked as Business Expenses or Broadcasting Consulting.

I wonder are the published figures in any way accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

No worries - We're on the same team after all. BTW, that aforementioned 'circular argument guy', that just wanted to know the best way to pay for PSB - this would be a great time for him to rejoin the conversation again I'd suggest - He might explain why the fraud section of AGS shouldn't be brought in to Montrosia and why the perfectly healthy Dee Forbes is not sitting in a cell in the Dóchas Centre.

Circular argument guy, wherefore art thou?

Hard to argue with that in fairness. Nice of Forbesy to sign off on a contract extension for him a couple of months before the s**t hit the fan - Perhaps Dee and Noel had an inkling of what was coming down the tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I used to be a Garda. I had "fights" with my Sergeant/Chief who pushed me to investigate a few incidents without complainants "in the public interest". So I've asked the Press Office why they're not investigating RTE in the public interest. Will update with their reply, if they bother... I may have suggested Harris is in on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Let us know how you get on...

But what would need to be done to actually make a complaint? Surely some member of the public has done so, are they dismissed , without evidence?

And if so do they not watch TV in the Garda stations🤔. Evidence is already in the public domain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Ive heard it said a general complaint to the gardai isnt worth much. However if you demand a "criminal complaint" is made the gardai are obliged to follow up. Maybe @Potential-Monke can give an insight.

Honestly not sure how it works. You'd think I would but when I quit I stopped remembering stuff and it's gone now, if I had that knowledge in the first place! But I'll let ye know what they say, if anything. I will be the complainant if required, but I shouldn't be. Its just sickening to hear how much these wannabe celebs get paid for less than part time work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

“We haven’t received any complaints.” The Commissioner said the force would only examine the possibility of an investigation if a complaint was made to it by executives in RTE.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/gardai-launch-criminal-probe-rte-27228019

Govt don't want anybody looking under that particular rock - Bad, nasty things live under it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ForestFire

But why by the Executives at RTE?

Surely they could be part of the complaint itself, or complicate in the cover up?

Not saying they are, but why can only they make the complaint?

Why only the Execs? Because except in exceptional circumstances, this does not happen:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pjmn

You'd almost have to admire their brass neck - they don't give a flying f*** for the public or the Government, the two cohorts that continue to fund these shysters…..

Jenny Z & Doireann would both have been contractors of RTÉ back in Feb & March surely their DWTS earns would need to be released even if anonymously. Right?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Director Of Operations and Technology is somehow on €282k, has he ever used the RTÉ Player? 🤔

Jesus H Christ... are there any other organisations outside of RTE who pays well above and beyond for such incompetence? You think the Director of Operations and Technology for Virgin would earn as much if the Virgin app was just as terrible? (It may be, I dunno, but I doubt it)

They'd be removed from their position TBH. Not sure how VM would do it, also its unlikely that VM would pay any executive at VMTV that amount of money.

Steve Carson (who will join RTÉ as Head of Video) was earning €204k to €216k as Director of BBC Scotland (really the DG of BBC Scotland, covering Scottish content, TV and Radio).

RTÉ payscale should be more in line with the Civil Service. Their pay seriously got out of hand, how could they ever be in a position to negotiate with presenters, when they believe themselves to be working at the BBC.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,614 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Yum

Not a lot for €132 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Karppi

The very logo itself would take the edge off eating one.

….

• Advertisement

He's in good company then, because I dont think Ive ever used it successfully either.

What makes it more frustrating, aside from watching the same ad for the 6th time, is that, by playing ads, it demonstrates that it can actually stream video, just not the content you want to watch.

I find this only to be the case with the online player from a browser, I have found their apps to be generally all right, but I have stop watching RTÉ in general so it hard to know as I am not a regular user. And for this I would definitely award him a pay rise!

______

Yesterday

I watch all my TV now via my fire stick because my TV is not capable of picking up RTE the "normal" way. The RTE app refused to install on the firestick. There is very little on RTE at the best of times to attract me. Prime time and the 6pm news generally. During the summer months it is a desolate place. Kin was popular outside of Ireland so I was able to download it(my preferred way to watch things). I will try the app on my Fire tablet, if it works, I will screen mirror it to my TV, but it'd be easier if I could just use the app on the TV itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭flyer_query

RTE / TG4 whinge / value for money post.

RTE have a really expensive broadcasting box at croke park all set up to broadcast the pundits and imo it works very well as we can all see from Sunday Game coverage. I am sure they pay a huge amount of money for this box each year and spent a huge amount designing and kitting it out (location of desk, editing room etc).

Watching the ladies finals last week I couldn't help but notice that its its left hand (TG4) was broadcasting from a different part of the stadium and it turns out that they erected a very large temporary podium at the corner of the Hogan and the Hill, its feckin massive and looks like you could host 100 people on it. Must have cost tens of thousands between hire, health and safety even insurance etc and it doesn't look like a straightforward erection due to its size, angle and being raised and all for two days of match coverage.

Here is the best picture I could get, from what I saw and looking at pictures of that end of the ground this is definitely a temporary structure and not part of the fixed building that is located at the edge of Hill 16.

A few logical questions:

1.Why didn't they use RTE's box, a specially designed box to host TV pundits, even if they paid them rent for it as they are both state broadcasters

- Devils advocate could say maybe Croke Park would object then surely all TG4 would have to do is raise raise a little noise and Croke Park would roll over as it wouldn't be a good look to force two state broadcasters to each piss money away seeing as how much money GAA are getting both direct from tax payer and funneled through TG4 and RTE.

2. Why did they not use another broadcasters box (GAA Go have a box beside RTE).

3. Why did they not just rent a normal corporate box (cork park hold back lots of boxes), stick a table and some lighting in it, nobody would have noticed.

4. Who signed off on what is clearly a massive waste of public money.

5. What was the value proposition of this stupid decision. It didnt enhance viewers enjoyment, it didnt advance ladies football.

6. Why are TG4 management not tightening their belts or at the very least at least try to show some prudence even if just for show.

TG4 gets a lot of credit and seems to have avoided the bad press but stuff like this (pure waste) makes me wonder what skeletons concerning wasted spend is simmering away under the surface at TG4.

TG4 commission their coverage, it is produced by Nemeton an independent producer. Cost would be built into the commission that was awarded to them.

Not that this is an excuse. You are right TG4 do have a few questions to answer, there was a time when TG4 was punching above its weight, now I think it just wants more money to spend on the same kind of programming.

As for TG4 talking to RTÉ and visaversa, it seems to me that they don't.

RTÉ decision to blank RTÉ NEWS broadcasts in NI to me is an example of this. I think a decision in RTÉ was made to blank the coverage, rather then talking to BBC, Discovery and the IOC about the coverage. In the end RTÉ found out that none of their partners had any issue in terms of cost etc etc.

______

Yesterday

@flyer_query

Why are TG4 management not tightening their belts or at the very least at least try to show some prudence even if just for show.

To me this relates to RTÉ also.

no effort by either to pull back on cost but at the same time do some cost neutral changes that the audience would see and appreciate. e.g. just a simple change to the News channels on screen graphics, were the picture would take up the whole screen, logo and time in the top left hand corner, 1 ticker along the bottom of the screen, instead of a gaudy design.

Though such a simple change would cost RTÉ a fortune to implement for some bizarre reason.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just watching rte news, and the anchor handed over to a sports reporter based in Paris....who then started to ask another reporter, in another part of Paris, about the boxing tonight.

Sure why send 1 when 2 can get the trip of a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Tow

They have John Creedon out there playing records. He could just as easily be back in Ireland.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

No real problem with them being there, especially when in previous years RTÉ were sending friends, family and clients to such games. People often talk about the good coverage that RTÉ do, I'd say it could be massively better if RTÉ hadn't being giving people not in the sports department holidays.

Leave John out of this :) but if all he is doing is playing records it seems a bit strange, does he interview any of the athletes?

______

Yesterday

Advertisement