Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Could have played it safe for silver/bronze,but he was on a serious roll and looking at gold,no choke, just 12/18 ins out with his approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

He said himself he thought he'd go aggressive and had hit a perfect shot. It got held up slightly in the wind and was a yard or two short.

He didn't choke, he didn't bottle it, he didn't try and play safe. He was on it and was grabbing the round by the neck. Tiny, tiny margins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭techdiver

Yeah, I can't understand how people don't get that. The word choker is just thrown around any time he doesn't win (and even sometimes when he does win).

Plays aggressive and doesn't pay off - Choker.

Play conservative and try to hang on and not win - Choker

Finish down the leaderboard - Choker

Win by 1 after leading by 4 - "OK, he won but still choked".

It's boring at this stage to be honest.

We might never have a golfer who had given us such consistent excitement in our lifetimes again and many will look back in years to come and finally realise what we had and will probably never have again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The title of this thread will never change.

Mcillroy doesnt have the nerve when it matters.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

• Advertisement

We are here for you, we will get through it together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yes LA 2028 Golf is going to held at Riviera which is a fantastic course though that Olympics is held a week earlier in July which could potentially get too close to that years Open Championship, I expect Men's Golf may be shifted to the final weekend of that Olympics to ensure a strong field. I thought it would take 2 or 3 tournaments for Golf to catch on at the Olympics which unquestionably it did this year with the highest calibre field with the best on the final day it was like a major shootout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Leaving aside the Olympics where I agree he didn’t choke, he went for it and it didn’t pay off which is admirable if anything, you’re suggesting he’s unfairly labelled as a choker in general. It really is hard to deny that he has choked badly on more than one occasion at pivotal times over the last 12 years. It’s. A cruel label but it really is one he has earned at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd consider the Olympics the biggest Major every four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,696 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That shot that went into the water. It looked like he liked the shot. He was flying at that stage.

Compared to the other chokes I think this was a bit different.

Speaking of choking. Jon Rahm had a mare. That was a proper choke. Fell apart.

• Advertisement

I have to say the label fits for this year's US open but that's the only time.

As far as the future is concerned I really fancy the man from his own club is going to be a superstar. 21 years of age, winner on the European tour already and super consistent.

If my own young lad keeps improving I think I'm going to have to sell up and move up there so I can have him playing there. 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’d love to know the amount of posters who’ve competed at a high level in any sport and who calls a golfer a choker for going for a shot and not pulling it off.

Miles apart but minor comparison: I've competed at a high level in a sport before a near fatal accident ended it for me and have coached football at senior level for the past few years, there is no settling for second or third place. You play to win. You try everything to get better. In rallying, you were looking to cut a corner by inches to make up a fraction of a second, not take the safe line around it and hope everyone does the same, you push the boundaries. Same for McIlroy taking in that shot, he could have laid up and settled for silver but why? He plays to win and he went for it.
    I’m as disappointed as everyone else and would have liked to see him and Lowry do well but also understand the pressure they put themselves under to try win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭bren2001

All 4 actual majors are bigger than the Olympics. You'd be in a tiny minority thinking the Olympics is bigger than the Masters (for example). The Olympics isn't a major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭Russman

Totally agree. I think people forget just how hard golf is. The label choker is thrown around in such a derogatory manner these days, and that's not even including the saddos who take pleasure in certain players failing, and not just in golf either. Just because someone doesn't win or a shot doesn't come off doesn't mean a choke. That's not to say pressure doesn't get to players, and they hit bad shots by being distracted, but ffs, there's a whole field of players who don't win each weak, are they all chokers ?

I mean, jeez, look at Jon Rahm and his finish. I'd say the bookies were nearly paying out when he had a 4 shot lead with a few holes to go. Or even Fleetwood, if ever there was a player who'll find a way not to win its usually him, even though he's one of the best in the world and would never be labelled a choker - remember how he closed out the Ryder Cup with that tee shot. Bad shots and bad breaks happen to good players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ledwithhedwith

you can consider it whatever you want, it doesn’t make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭boardise

What do you mean 'meltdown' ? He was burning up the leaderboard with 5 consecutive birdies and boldly went for the low percentage shot to try to get another -the shot was only narrowly off target ..that doesn't constitute a meltdown. He could have played safe but he was going for the gold rather than par in and contend for a bronze.

If you want to talk meltdown -consider John Rahm -four shots clear to the final 6 holes and doesn't win squat.

You don't get money in the Olympics and all the best who qualified were there, just to win a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

He didn’t choke, anyone that says he did doesn’t understand what the definition of choking in sport is, however, comparing rallying with golf and “going for it” is ridiculous. Golf is largely about game management and knowing when to and when not to go for it, something McIlroy struggles with but that’s another discussion.

That doesn't elevate it to a major.

Around 25 of the worlds top 50 were not there. It's a weak field. I'd imagine Scottie would trade his medal in the for PGA if he could.

As I said, youre heavily in the minority with this view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I don’t think the Olympics is equal to or greater than a major. But I’d love to ask each of the current OWGR top 10 would they rather a Players Championship or Olympic Gold medal.

I do agree that the field could be stronger but there has to be scope for that to change. They could also bring in a cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭techdiver

I love the Olympics and golf is growing as a sport in it, but let's call a spade a spade. Any pro will take any of the majors over the Olympics every day. It might change in the future but as of now it's not even close.

I think the format should change to a team event which wpuld make it more interesting from an Olympics point if view in my opinion.

Agree totally. In my opinion for what it's worth ( i.e. nothing) I don't think Golf should be in the Olympics at all -nor tennis for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Legitimate question but I'm sorry it woud take too long to explain my thinking about it. As I said -my opinion is worth nothing…my explanation likewise and would convince no one. I have to be content with being a member of small maverick minorities -if not a downright lone wolf-on many matters sporting.

Golf in the Olympics ? -shur why not and maybe throw in Pitch and Putt while you're at it ? 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think it depends. If you're a pro and had won a number of majors, and maybe also very into country, then Olympic gold has a strong draw I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You and I would think so but there are many millions who never heard of the PGA or the US Open or any of the majors even, but they've all heard of the olympics

I'd consider the Olympics the biggest Major every four years.

This was eagle_eyes comment who I think regularly watches golf.

I think anyone who knows anything about professional golf would not consider the Olympics above any of the majors. That includes fans and players. I didn't think the above caveat was needed as eagle_eye is a regular poster here and I assumed we were talked about players/fans of golf.

For the people who don't watch golf or have not heard about the majors, I'm not sure if the Olympics opens the sport for them but I also dont know. I think that's a different conversation too

Post edited by bren2001 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I don't know about that, did he see him crying his eyes out up there when he got the gold and the anthem was playing.

I think for Scottie he gets the whole represent your country side of it

• Advertisement

He represents his country every 2 years at a RC. Id expect the American golfers to want a RC win in Europe over an Olympics win tbh.

Winning an Olympics is cool. That's about it.

Do you put the Olympics up there with the majors?

Advertisement