Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

just reminder to not park your car on a tidal slipway…

https://x.com/only9built/status/1783437237541126535?s=46

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A big thanks to IWAI and Kieran Walsh for putting me forward for this the "endeavor cup" and to those of you that nominated me my head nearly exploded listening to all the kind words being read out, it's an honour to receive this award and to be among the other names on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Incredibly well deserved @fergal.b. Congratulations on the award!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

He's the man, that's without doubt.

Congratulations @fergal.b an inspiration to all of us.

• Advertisement

I didn't know of this award, but if I had I'd have added my voice to the chorus... I couldn't think of a more deserving recipient!

Congrats! 👏👏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

It's a bit of a health & safety gone mad report from that article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

I can see the need to a safety line if single handed to two handed in a storm etc. But a tether on a bowman racing around the cans could be more dangerous than no tether.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I know nobody involved. I fully agree MOB exercises should be a regular event.The MCIB report makes very sad reading, peppered with trite platitudes and cliches. Sadly its overall tone, instead of helping, drives another wedge between the MCIB and the sailing community. It shows the ignorance of an investigator not just of what happens on the bow of a racing yacht, but on yacht racing in general. Tethers are deadly, you are much more likely to trip and fall overboard wearing one. (See comments on them & recoveries in the 1979 Fastnet report.) The yacht JB was close to a lee shore when a crew slips and is partly in the water. The skipper makes a call that the priority is to recover the bowman. Forty seconds laterthe boat went on the rocks. The investigator makes a song an dance about not dropping the main - how the f was the yacht to get off the lee shore with a sail on its prop? Pitiable reading, annoying to think that its writer is a senior civil servant drawing >100k a year and will get a pension to match. Well done to the skipper & crew in recovering the bowman.

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/zHxPranLPvZGAert/

😱

A beautiful peaceful anchorage that I've been lucky enough to have spent lots of time at……

Was that Conor McGregor by any chance? as they are now a family of international yachtsmen..

I assume the engines shutdown before they overheated from trying to dig themselves out with them.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Made a schoolboy error when I launched a few weeks back and I left the power on.. (weekday so was in a hurry to get back to my desk), then went away for 3 weeks so never had the chance to correct my mistake…. Went down on Saturday to give her decks/cockpit a power wash and realised the batteries were flat…. So brought down a trickle charger yesterday to see if I could get a pulse from them again but it wasn't looking good, so I dispatched my better half to Halfords to pick up one of those booster engine starters…. hooked it up and she came to life, and the engine fired on the button…. those boosters are great bits of kit…

Now for some good weather this bank holiday weekend to hopefully catch one of the 2 airshows that are happening.. Saturday and a spin down to Bray looks the better option.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Hoping for a spin to Bray myself on Saturday if the weather plays ball.

If I make it will be first outing of the season due to engine problems (now fixed).

Yeah I'm ashamed to say that yesterday was my first spin of the season too, and I literally just left Malahide and went out around the safe water mark and came back in, as I just wanted to run the engine under load for an hour or so to get a bit of charge back into the batteries…

You're out of Greystones aren't you? so it's a handy enough spin for you…. I'd be looking at at least 3 hours each way to get there but thankfully would have the tides with me both ways…

Do you know roughly what the depth is where they keep the spectator boats? Looking on the charts I see around 20m? as I only have a combined 30m of chain/rode… so not sure anchoring will be an option for me unless it's fairly calm…

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I don't know the depth exactly but I suspect only around 10 metres to 15 metres max. I have similar chain/rope to you and had no problem anchoring last year. Actually anchored twice as even though outside the spectator marks, the Navy decided a few of us were too close and asked us to move out and re-anchor.

Yes, I'm in Greystones, so a very short hop! My boat is on the hard at the moment for antifoul and anodes. Just hope they get done by Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

If you have lead batteries, they are likely damaged from being discharged fully and left. Keep an eye on them for the winter.

A multi meter is a worthwhile investment, a reasonably one is only €40 or so online and Lidl stock them periodically. You can use it for fault-finding, checking circuits, voltages, etc, e.g. to see if your battery is holding a charge, or if the sacrificial anode connection is good. Yes the full discharge did not help battery life but one single full discharge would not be too bad.

When I put the Lidl trickle charger on the circuit it was showing around 5.2V

After jumping the engine, I ran it for a good hour and when I came back in the batteries were reading about 12V (after I stopped the engine), so I think I may have caught it ontime…

They wouldn't have depleted immediately, so I'm hoping they lasted a week or 2 before going flat, and then hopefully they weren't sitting in that state for too long… maybe 1-2 weeks

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's a culture of violence fostered and encouraged in club racing! When acts of violence on the course routinely go unpunished and when successful county sailors regularly avoid jail for violent assaults, what do people expect?

😂😂😂

Although, all jokes aside, it was a very violent and vicious assault. I hope the victim can recover.

Remember folks, violent psychopaths come from all walks of life!

Got down there today and dropped the hook in about 19m of water aft of the Navy ship, and given how blustery it was I was surprised she held (given I only have 30m total chain/rode), but she held fairly well…

I am however going to consider installing an electric windlass…

Got out of there when the going was good about an hour before the display ended…

Funnily enough, thoughts of an electric windlass went through my head also yesterday afternoon! 😄

Spectator boats defineitly a bit further out than last year. When I got there I was worried too about anchoring, but turned out fine/anchor held well. Took me a while to recover from hauling the anchor back in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Hoping this is the right place to ask this question.

In the table below -

..when direction of flow is indicated, is that the direction the flow is coming from or the direction its going to?

Saw the practice a few years ago, still remember the sound of the Spitfire.

A winch is a nice idea but can you justify the expense by frequent use? How often do you anchor in deep water? Winches pull huge ampage from a battery, and often will discharge it below 50%. They need a separate battery and wiring, sized according to the distance between battery and winch, and on the latter’s power requirement. Because the draw is so strong it will take quite a time for your alternator to top the battery up again. For that reason most new boats use a separate lithium battery as they handle the deep discharge, they recharge better and are a fraction of the weight. (But they cost a lot more!) Lead acid batteries will need frequent replacement if used regularly. Personally, if I was to spend money, I’d find a bow thruster more useful.

Think I've only anchored 3-4 times over the last 6 years, so definitely not worth the hassle/cost of installing a windlass in my use case… and on those previous occasions, I was in no more than 3-4m of water, on relatively calm days so I'd already have probably half my 10m of chain on board before the anchor came off the bottom… whereas on Saturday, I was hauling all 10m of chain and the anchor itself up, and I think the anchor (CQR) was fairly well dug in as it took a fair bit of effort to 'pop' it free.. I was certainly feeling it in my hamstrings on Sunday!!!

A tripping line (separate line and float) can be handy in such cases so you can pull anchor out from the back/backwards.

Windlass idea was a flash in the pan one. Only in my head during the process of hauling the anchor. Agreed, very limited use would not be worth the cost/hassle of installing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Major Dad

Anyone know someone who’s good with carbon? I broke my carbon spinnaker pole and before I spend a silly amount of money buying a new one, I’d like to investigate whether my old one can be repaired. Thanks in advance. Cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

These guys are good and shouldn't cost the earth. https://www.customcomposites.ie/

160 foot sail boat sank of sicily with dead and missing people on board. Bad times in the med after last week in menorca.

Independent.ie saying one of the people on board is irish but articles behind a pay wall

Post edited by neris on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Bigger again, almost 184ft or 56m in new money. The Irish person is reported to be safe, but the recovery of others aboard has yet to take place.

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-22774/bayesian.htm

https://www.superyachtnews.com/fleet/tornado-sinks-yacht-leaving-six-missing-and-one-dead

Still can't figure out how something that big could go down so quickly…

I was thinking maybe a tender garage/platform type deal that was left open as they were moored, and maybe the tornado heeled her enough to submerge it and allow her to fill up (garage watertight doors not being secured!?)..

• Advertisement

This was on sailing anarchy, security camera from around that area at

the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭nokiatom

If she lost her mast wouldnt that improve her stability? That huge mast and rigging would catch a lot of wind and only god knows what would happen in a tornado

Probably. Once your out at sea and don't hit anything you should be fine. Unless she was knocked over and lost her keel. Maybe under sail and lost her keel. Or the rudder stock snapped and ripped a hole in the hull.

I wonder if she is more of a gin palace than a proper yacht.

Apparently she was at anchor. No bad weather forecasted. Mike Lynch, Brit tech multimillionaire (Autonomy) is owner, was on board with wife and guests. He’s missing, she was rescued. No swim platform, don’t know if there was a side entryport. Ron Holland design, has ‘tallest aluminium mast in the world’. Italian media stating ‘tornados’ and ‘waterspouts’ occurred before capsize and sinking.

Anyone wanna take a guess at which point my engines seawater pump stopped pumping water yesterday on our little spin out of Malahide…?

The exhaust suddenly sounded funny and I noticed the amount of water coming out rapidly decreasing, so made an about turn to get back to the marina as gently as I could… Luckily for me the engine has an isolated cooling system like a car, but instead of a radiator, the coolant flushes through a heat exchanger where it's cooled by the seawater, so I knew I could probably run it gently for maybe 20-30 minutes… the tide had started to ebb and if I didn't get back in asap I'd be pushing into 3-4 knots of it trying to get in 2 hours later!

I'm guessing the impeller has shredded itself, as I was fully expecting it to do so given I've not changed it in 6 years, so it's entirely my own fault… The cap on one of the 4 screws holding the cover plate had long since corroded away so I reluctantly didn't want to try and change the impeller for fear of not being able to put it back on properly and seal it…. but my hand has now been forced.

I ended up ordering a complete new water pump this morning as I've always wanted to have a spare, so will fit the new one, and re-condition the old one and perhaps drill out the broken bolt and replace them all with something a bit meatier… (and something I can get a spanner on as I hate using flat head screws for things like this…

• Advertisement

I've never quite understood how, apparently, a keeled yacht is less stable without a mast! But that's what is said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭nokiatom

The keel compensates for the mast, If a sailing boat loses its keel then the boat is top heavy and she would flip over. A yacht sails better on her side as there is less surface on the water. Imagine that mast at a 45 degree angle or more, in theory the boat should capsize but due to the weight of the keel it stops it from doing that. Compare it to a see saw

I do understand how a keel works, thanks . That's not what I'm confused about.

Agreed, but what most people mean by 'less stable' is the rapid pendulum effect produced by a keel swinging through 90degs without the dampening effect of the mast as a counterbalance.

@AndyBoBandy Six years?😯 ☺️Usually they're made of rubber and perish. I'd also check the intake filter. Does your heat exchanger have a built-in sacrificial anode? Lots do, it's an add-on if you are ordering stuff.

I'm not sure if the heat exchanger has an anode, but will have a look.

I always figured with such relatively low usage I might have gotten away with it for a bit longer than normal, but yeah, 6 years was pushing it, and especially with a rubber impeller, time is time regardless how low the usage is… (if anything lower usage would be worse for the rubber)

I do have a few other spares like fan belt, 2 (unused) impeller kits, engine anode and fuel & oil filters.. but yeah, I can't escape it anymore so I'll replace the water pump, and do the oil & filters and whatever anodes I can find. I was always thinking to just get someone to service it, and observe/learn how to do it myself, but essentially it's just oil, filters, anode & impeller right? All jobs I'd easily have a go at myself (being a mechanical fitter in a past life)..

The Balesian had a large entryport in her port quarter. She also had a sliding keel, no comments yet as to whether or not the former was closed or the latter fully extended. Bayesian fell over, had her mast in the water and went down almost immediately. Those in the liferaft climbed into it from the sea, the couple with the baby already were on deck.

This is the ship that was anchored ahead of her, skipper had to motor to maintain station at anchor. Plenty of windage there, even if they had struck their topmasts down on deck.

Homepage - Segelschiff Sir Robert Baden Powell (sir-robert.com)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So I have a house on an offshore island, and the vague idea of "getting a boat" for day tripping etc during the summers, visit the other islands or go look at seals or whatever. Would not use it for travel on/off the island except maybe over to Burtonport in exceptionally calm and clear daytimes; there's plenty of ferries for that.

I have zero experience though - well, my Dad had a ~8 seater wooden punt with the ability to mount an outboard when I was a lot younger which I would have been on one oar of a bit; and I'm fairly sure my Grandad let me steer his half-decker occasionally (he was a commercial half-decker builder) when I was a kid. I can also swim, or I could when I was last made get in to a swimming pool - should probably make sure that I still can!

How does someone with zero experience start? I presume it'd be recommended to start with basic safety and navigation knowledge so I don't tip myself in the Atlantic or go in front of a ferry, but how to get that? I believe there's no licencing requirements as such for either the craft or the person controlling it at this scale?

Are radios and nav kit recommended for this size of boat, and how do you handle that without an actual wheelhouse?

You can take powerboat lessons anywhere pretty much… theres a sailing school in Dun Laoghaire (INSS), and even a place Ringsend that do it now… for what you want to do, it might even be overkill, but you will learn and understand the basics, especially when it comes to safety…

Radio - handheld marine VHF is your man (VHF operators cert is required, but not having it wouldn't mean they won't rescue you if you need rescuing). Cheap ones start off around £62 on Amazon.. better ones are north of £150

Retevis RM01 VHF Marine Radio, IP67 Waterproof Walkie Talkie, Vibration Floating 88 Channels Handheld Radio for Kayaking Fishing Boating (Black, 1 Piece): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Icom-Waterproof-Handheld-Marine-Radio-Blue/dp/B015VWB4OC/ref%3Dsr_1_4?crid=1PPCCEVDVYURB&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.kcpV9xam0AjupUoP3PJrxAfgf32pshsdZwJ-mbF0HC9WtITJTTJVC0GZU6dchsZxGk3YfXnFVdNhqLoQjR_tkmFjgxk2MdniuiNyrtwZzuINodzcfrN2Y8s7kYUIqcbIEOTdUI06K-de62bjif1vBRdd_QRk3DN_uh2cUDdTZJIQQEho1g53Fb_cNF8pig2oeLsHoWiyAczhgOm364ZiI4QVLg43nqXaPvyqwBl-StQ.PkJ8R0FgOX8DHC_DYyrVaAqt2kgGlY6C50W5k8t_JWw&dib_tag=se&keywords=handheld%2Bmarine%2Bvhf&qid=1724166802&sprefix=handheld%2Bmarine%2Bvhf%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-4&th=1

Then the even more expensive ones have DSC & even AIS on them, but for you, mostly overkill (however DSC is an excellent feature whereby when activated, it sends out your details & position to all DSC VHF radios in range before you even transmit your MayDay call).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IC-M94-RADIO-MARINE-TRANSCEIVER-RECEIVER-Black/dp/B095L6VKJM/ref%3Dsr_1_5?crid=3QDNDQ2BYRN2D&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.39Yf9OLsoFnI92ZgmCu8XoF14qrIzsCGOseumqsfrXov87gejOp45b3zYwTKf5DhG3acDU34atYOtXqHcnNaz4vH1MHGVRvJ2b2YFTJ52oVeHF0Z3Ihe2-pCW_PqeL44JpdbSaMiAnADrzVRevAQstDAFN7cDrUr1saJVhHVPA0FqBnTSh_pzBQDYKhoIBxjiVm0u7C0q0EBUDt1R3ubyNGQPZpKUfPCyQovRPampgU.eVxFFyxJT9BTCUt7KBaWCKoEIdzYCUS-Om5Qj5NvqBY&dib_tag=se&keywords=handheld+marine+vhf+dsc&qid=1724166858&sprefix=handheld+marine+vhf+dsc%2Caps%2C56&sr=8-5

Nav - Smartphone with Navionics boating app (and a subscription to Irish waters) and that'll more than cover for what your doing (would even be overkill)

‎Navionics® Boating

Another really handy and really cheap bit of safety kit you'd want is a PLB.. much cheaper (& smaller) than having an EPIRB.. and for your use case, the 24hours of signal they put out would more than suffice. I'd say you wouldn't be long losing phone signal out on the west coast…

https://marineparts.ie/ocean-signal-plb1-the-worlds-smallest-plb/

• Advertisement
Advertisement