Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost - The Greatest TV Show Ever!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Given the "suits" cancelling series at the drop of a hat, I avoided getting engrossed in it from the start, and only ever watched the last few episodes. 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I never finished House of Cards so started a rewatch of it recently, but I could see the quality going down hill, so I read some reviews and apparently the ending was unsatisfactory, so I gave up and switched to Sopranos.

There are a load of series I never finished and other series Ive watched repeatedly.

I started a rewatch of Lost a while back. I was enjoying it and then I remembered, there is a lot of sh1t to come with flash sideways bollox, a whole load of stuff left unresolved, so why bother. No need to be disappointed twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭GHendrix

One of my favourite shows ever and I loved the ending.

Hard for me to understand why so many don’t get the ending…

Except there was no purgatory until the "sideways" timeline which was purgatory. That was pretty clear

It was not clear to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I remembering loving this when it came out first. I know I got to season 4 and then gave up. Maybe the criticism was overblown but I’m not against shows that make you have to think while watching it, it’s when it doesn’t make any sense in the issue.

prison break is another show that started out really good. The first season is really good and I watched it all the way to the end, but it really was a chore to get through by the end. I watched the new season and wish I hadn’t now. It requires you to forget a HUGE part of the end of season 4. We did get another episode in Ireland which makes the new season even dumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's in the discussion between Jack and his father in the very last scene. Emphasis mine

JACK: You...are you real?

CHRISTIAN: I should hope so. Yeah, I'm real. You're real, everything that's ever happened to you is real. All those people in the church...they're real too.

JACK: They're all...they're all dead?

CHRISTIAN: Everyone dies sometime, kiddo. Some of them before you, some...long after you.

JACK: But why are they all here now?

CHRISTIAN: Well there is no "now" here.

JACK: Where are we, dad?

CHRISTIAN: This is the place that you...that you all made together, so that you could find one another. The most...important part of your life, was the time that you spent with these people. That's why all of you are here. Nobody does it alone Jack. You needed all of them, and they needed you.

JACK: For what?

CHRISTIAN: To remember...and to...let go.

JACK: Kate...she said we were leaving.

CHRISTIAN: Not leaving, no. Moving on.

The point being, they didn't know each other before the plane crash, so it wasn't purgatory from the start. The time they spent on the island together and the relationships they formed was the most important part of their lives. The flash-sideways in Season 6 was purgatory, where they dealt with their outstanding issues (Jack's issues with his father meant he now had a son in the flash sideways, Sawyer was a cop, Locke felt guilt because of what he did to his father etc), and then learned to move on together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Did you ever see the scene in one of the recent terminator movies where you're meant to believe Arnies character the T800 accomplished his mission of killing John Connors but stayed around in this timeline, became a curtain salesman named Karl, drove a van with Karls drapes on it and was living as a family man with a woman and her kid for years? Far cry from the original film.

You just say to that would ya ever f**K off with your nonsense.

That's what the storylines in Lost were like. Flash sideways, alternate purgatorys mean to look like real life and then someone says no, that's real purgatory and the island was real.........and all the other storylines that never made sense, I remember a polar bear at one stage in early seasons and all that dharma initiative rubbish, can't remember where any of those stories went. Not to forget the others, who were they again? Why did the plane crash again? Why were the people chosen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,907 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And why Linus didnt move on at all or at least not yet. He wasn't ready to leave Alex. He was never part of the plane group so that wasn't his journey. But Locke and Hurley were huge parts of his life (and he theirs). He got to apologise to Locke and say farewell to Hurley finishing his story with the plane survivors.

It was spelled out ridiculously clearly. I think some had just gave up watching long beforehand having decided they were dead all along and then just kept repeating it for years until others started believing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,907 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A lot dont get the ending though which is hilarious it was the clearest part of the whole show.

I do however agree and think it was a 3 season story originally and when it became such a hit the studio demanded more and the writers just scrambled desperately to strech out the material for 6 seasons. And thats why you'd have a sudden classic episode in the middle of a severe lull and so much irrelevant meandering nothingness scattered throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

FIrst series was good but at some point it lost it bigtime and I never finished it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ahh feck, you got there before me 😁

I read the OP and wondered what age they are that they don’t remember phenomena like The X -Files, Twin Peaks (if you know, you know 😂), Dynasty wasn’t as good as Dallas, Joan Collins though was a piece of work, but nothing like the question that was on everyone’s minds for months:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_shot_J.R.%3F

There was V too, ‘twas like a scare before bedtime 😖

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭L Grey

Well that was inevitable. The "But its so obvious, you just weren't paying attention / smart enough to understand / had given up on it" comments. I watched it in entirety, and watched it all again before watching the final episode and I still felt disappointed, and didn't really get it.

As another poster said, so many storylines that went nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭newport2

Trump destroyed House of Cards (before Spacey did for many). I remember watching it and thinking it was really good, but so far-fetched. Surely nobody like this could get into the Whitehouse? Then along came Trump, everything in hindsight seemed so tame after he arrived

Spacey was acquitted of the charges. Instead of rewriting the ending, NetFlix should have held out.

But before Trump and before the Spacey thing, it had already lost its way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I suggest you have to go back even further.

M*A*S*H would surely still be the gold standard. To this day, the most-watched broadcast episode in history was its finale, a record set in 1983, back in the day when you had to actively make an effort to watch a show. No video on demand, most folks didn't have VCRs, you had to make a hole in your schedule and keep it. Game of Thrones? "Sure, I'll watch the finale when I get around to it."

To get to that level it becomes a matter of being a cultural cornerstone. The only other single broadcast to beat it was a Superbowl, itself a national cultural fixture in the US. You can almost guarantee that M*A*S*H is in broadcast syndication somewhere in the world right now, I'm not sure I could say the same for Lost or Twin Peaks. You could for Star Trek, but that has its own flaws.

That's not to say there aren't enduring shows which may not make the grade due to smaller audiences. Monty Python is also a global phenomenon. Blackadder or Father Ted similarly have had proportionally huge impact within their own cultural reference points (i.e. UK and Ireland respectively). Even cultural popularity may not be as good an indicator with that reference: Was Blackadder actually a better show, in terms of writing, acting and production, than the contemporary Yes, Minister/Prime Minister? I submit probably not. But it did have broader appeal and quotability.

Yet M*A*S*H managed to do it all. You could post a screenshot from almost any moment in almost any episode, and people would identify the show correctly. See a civilian Bell 47, and you think "Mash helicopter". The show was in production for twice as long as the war it portrayed. It was well written, well acted, well produced. Its appeal crossed international and cultural boundaries (a particularly difficult issue for a comedy). It's in very rare company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

M*A*S*H would definitely on the list for sure.

Not a good series however one that took over the world in the 90's was Baywatch it was cultural phenomenon all around the world like no other series.

"Run Yasmine, run like the wind" which is a quote from another series about Baywatch that generated real sheer mass hysteria like no other for it's time.. Friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's the clearest part as long as you accept the fact that the show creators knew the show jumped the shark long ago and they had written themselves into a hole that was hard to get out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I was actually going to mention the X-Files as something that was so revolutionary in terms of popular culture. Someone made the point that Lost suffered with revisionism, which is probably my biggest gripe, and whatever criticism many have, it simply isn't as bad as many make out.

Another poster made the point, that when it was at its best, it was without doubt the best show, possibly ever. Nothing has come close to capturing the imagination of the western world in terms of TV, the way lost did. It was an event, something people around the world discussed the next day. No show has ever reached those heights.

It's become the popular thing to put it down, and for that reason people do forget how good the first 3 seasons were. Whatever about criticism later on in the show, it's unfair to suggest the first 3 seasons weren't some of the best and most riveting TV ever.

Sopranos is my favourite show ever, but Lost at it's peak had a higher peak imo.

As an aside, a few other shows came out just after Lost and were largely overshadowed, the likes of Prison Break. But do people remember the show "Invasion" that TG4 were showing at the same time from America? Got cancelled before it finished its first season, but was brilliant aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,210 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

To me it just felt like the writers were making it up as they went along or that they were all on acid.

Or both.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Season 1 of lost was brilliant but its best episodes weren't as good as the best episodes of Breaking bad or Game of Thrones.

I'd argue BB is a tad overrated (BCS was better even imo), but as good as it was, doesn't come close to some of the early Lost episodes. They nearly had you on the edge of your seat. Claire's baby getting abducted by the others etc, you'd nearly be sweating watching it for example.

Huge Game of Thrones fan and read the books, but again, early Lost took it to another level imo

Another poster made the point, that when it was at its best, it was without doubt the best show, possibly ever. Nothing has come close to capturing the imagination of the western world in terms of TV, the way lost did. It was an event, something people around the world discussed the next day. No show has ever reached those heights.

The X-Files was the very same 😳

I don’t comment on Lost because I’ve never watched it, but I do remember there were many who were disappointed with the ending. Almost as disappointed as Bobby Ewing’s “It was all a dream” retcon! There were many tv shows are up there with Lost in terms of their influence and their ability to have captured the Western world with events that were discussed around the world the next day. But none of that should take from the view that Lost in its own right was a cultural phenomenon. I feel the same way about GOT btw - if a show is hyped up, it’s overwhelming to the point where I’d only be watching it for the sake of it, and not because I should enjoy it.

Never saw Invasion either, and there were plenty of people who never watched shows like Fringe or Earth: Final Conflict (it was awful now I actually remember it 😂), or Heroes, another JJ Abrams cracker, or the criminally underrated and not a show you want to watch during a pandemic:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leftovers_%28TV_series%29

They’re shows that have quite literally a cult following, a dedicated audience that will still be discussing the shows years after they’ve ended and are either in syndication (that reminds me, I ordered China Beach on DVD months ago, still waiting 😡), or are bootlegged copies.

And has there even been a bigger or greater cliffhanger than "what's down the hole"?

I can't have been the only one awake at night pondering it ha

I do remeber the X-Files and the following it had. Even did a poem in school based on it. And GOT, it was something that would be discussed the next day.

But the hysteria for Lost was simply next level, something I've never seen before or since with a TV show. It's to TV in many ways, to what Star Wars is to film. There's been many huge film's for example, but nothing will ever come close to the absolute mania around Star Wars

For our generation there’s no doubt Star Wars is everything, but in two generations time people will be saying the same thing about the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That’s just the way these things go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Fringe was a great show that ended as it started - don't remember any season of it actually being rubbish, was another kinda reboot of the show a few years ago but cancelled after one season (can't remember the name now) that actually got better as it went on.

The likes of shows like Lost would never survive in today's TV culture

I meant more the hysteria when it came out, the comparison with Star Wars. Your right though, in a generation or two Lost hasn't stayed the test of time.

Not a big Star Wars fan, and the MCU is big but already waning. Like Harry Potter or whatever. All still huge frachises, but Star Wars is simply a cultural phenomenon. I'm not its biggest fan, it seems completely immune to bad reviews, but from generation to generation seems to plough on unhindered, even getting bigger all the time. There's actually nothing comparable to Star Wars in popular culture. In two generations the MCU and whatever else will seem dated, but Star Wars will still be steaming ahead, still smashing box office records. I've never seen anything like it actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Who shot JR was the greatest and biggest cliffhanger of all time.

Regards,

P.

Advertisement