Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭rrs

That was the semi final against Meath. They play Kildare in the final. Terry Hyland done a good job and the next appointment after was important but there wasn't much interest at the time which looked strange. James Horan, Anthony Cunnigham, Pat Gilroy some of the names that were approached and turned it down. It came down to Mattie McGleenan and Banty.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭mogue77

I agree fully with this, one thing I would have liked to see is keeping Terry back to the county underage teams which he was very good at but keep Mickey Graham back to underage teams also because he was very good with the minors and was very unlucky to lose out to all Ireland winning minor teams on a few occasions and then let them have another chance at senior if they wanted after a few years.

I see Packie Leddy was man of the match in Division 2 League final in Mayo today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

That looks a tough enough job to be taking on. Leitrim will do well to stay up in Division 3. They were well off the pace in the Division 4 final against Laois, and faded badly against Wicklow in Tailtean Cup. He was part of the management in 24 so obviously see's some potential. The best forward Keith Beirne didn't play this year.

• Advertisement

Cavstream €250 for season pass this year. Was it not €150 last year? Hardly worth buying when a weekend pass is €20 and the championship is only 7 or 8 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭celt262

No value in that they would be better off without the season pass than trying to fool people.

Denn v Drumgoon must have been a thriller. 7pts to 6 to Denn. A shocking score in good conditions.

As I’ve said in the past, being competitive doesn’t stop the intermediate championship being of a poor standard. There is light years between it and even the lower levels of senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Intermediate Championship is of a lower standard than Senior Championship. Incredible analysis.

• Advertisement

I didn’t say it was of a “lower standard”. I said there is “light years” between the upper teams in intermediate and even the lower levels in senior. A far bigger gap than you would expect.

That is why we see teams consistently get relegated and come back up or come up and go straight back down.

Watch the last couple of finals and semi finals. Terrible quality. Basic errors by all sides.

What are the thoughts on our county senior manager returning to club football?

He must be the only intercounty manager in the country doing it.

You could see it as admirable that he’s answered the call of his club in a time of need but then I remember Finbarr O’Reilly famously telling how Terry Hyland said to him when he was trying to play county senior and manage Lacken minors - “you can’t serve two masters Finbarr”.

Not a big issue really. With the stream service he would see plenty of games ,and they have games from Thursday to Sunday so lots of games to get around when he is not playing.

If it was a knockout championship it might be a issue with a smaller number of games to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Yeah Laverty still playing with Kilcoo. Vinny Corey was playing with Clontibret while managing Monaghan. Galligan is 37 so still capable of playing.

No issue with it.

Watching a stream is a long way from watching a live game. Sure you only follow the ball on a stream, you can’t see alot of the off the ball movement and runs. Why else do you think you see GAA managers going to live games when they could just watch coverage on RTÉ?

I will accept though that he has a big enough management team that they should be able to cover games.

A big backroom team. They are capable of viewing games. Each team plays 4 games before the quarter final, he would see most teams in action at least once or watch on a stream.

When teams can lose 2 or 3 games and make a quarter final it's not high intensity before the quarter finals.

Also the fact that there are games from Thursday to Sunday usually so he will have three days free himself to go so every chance to see every team in action.

Who is over u15/16 development squads?

• Advertisement

I asked a player that one week and was told “whoever is available” that weekend.

Just seen Denn with a post up on facebook they have 6 of there u16 squad in there seems alot of lads from one club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Must be a fella from Denn over them if its anything like the games going to crosskeys also 😋

Quigley would be one of the players. He looked decent for the Minors this year

Isn't it six between the u16 and u15 squad. Dermot McCabe over u16 squad I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Looks like 9 between the 2 squads which is not that uncommon if the teams is competitive at both levels

Six on the U15 and three on the U16 they have. Nine in total between the two development teams. Dermot McCabe is not directly over any squad.

That means nine of Denn’s starting 15 in U16 are involved in development squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭etuzyuk

Doubt McCabe too happy today. Silly decisions cost them, should have had the win wrapped up. Great battling from Kingscourt, very competitive performance from them but looked to be hanging in just about for a good period, especially after the red. But they stuck at it and got their draw with the last kick of the game rattling the onion bag. Good game overall I thought.

• Advertisement

Just Nathan Quigley I think. He was one of a few of the U16 panel moved up to play with the minors.

The Denn U18 team is amalgamated with Ballinagh (St Thomas). They won Division 3 League against Blackwater earlier this year. It went to penalties.

Post edited by Cavan_King on

Advertisement