Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit debate over use of the money

• 04-08-2024 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi,  just looking for the opinion of others on this page. Myself and my partner have one child and are both working and earning roughly the same money. He is coming 3 in October. Anyway we have never really spoken about it before but today the topic of the child benefit money came up, the €140 monthly payment. The money is paid into my partner's account. What do others do with this money as a couple? The way things are at the minute with us we pay 50/50 for clothing, food etc. I suggested the money from the child benefit was put into a savings account for him and let it build up for later in life for college etc. but was shot down with that idea. Am I wrong in questioning what's happening with this money? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

No. A mature couple, raising a child, should be able to plan all household finances in a transparent manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭huggy15

So am I wrong in questioning her about the money? She gets on the defensive as soon as I starting asking about what was happening with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭herbalplants

It is hardly a lot of money to dissappear in her bank account 140 FFS! She gave birth to your child so you didn't go through any pain. It just shows you are very mean!

Living the life

140 a month over 10 years is nearly 17 grand that could help our child later in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

no you are not wrong to question what happens with that money.
    if everything is split 50-50 then that’s 50-50 too right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'm wondering what is her excuse for not wanting to put it into a savings account for the child? That sounds like a nice idea to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

It is called child benefit not mothers benefit for going through pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you get married will you also have separate accounts? If so don't ever get married as it's not for you.

I am only asking this question as I want to see what others do? I just think sure it's hardly fair if she gets the €140 every month and theres nothing more said about it. It's not like I want half. I am just saying set up a savings account for the child and it can help pay for things when he is older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

If you can afford to get by without it then put into an account for the child when they're older. Even before they get to college there will be big outlays like school trips, potential transition year costs, probably an ipad when the kid starts Secondary. All things that the €140 won't cover but could put you under financial pressure when they come around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭This is it

We're due twins in a few weeks and have already discussed children's benefit. For the first year, give it take, it'll go into our joint account to be used for everything, be it bills, groceries, nappies, etc.

Once we have a handle on everything the plan is to divert it into a savings account.

As above, your finances should be transparent with your partner. There shouldn't be any hidden money. After so long your partner probably counts this as part of their monthly wage, it'll be hard to row back on it.

What did she say she does with it and what does she want to do going forward?

Just from your few posts I get the feeling there are more issues financially between you. Other than the children's benefit are you both happy with your finances and how things are done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Technically it's the mother's money to do what she wishes with. This whole splitting 50/50 is a messy way to go through a relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

I know of 2 other married couples with seperate account. We don't, we have a joint account but it seems to work fine for them.

How do you come to that conclusion? So am I wrong to question it.

How do you come to that conclusion? So am I wrong to question it

She never said what she does with it and she's said going forward she'll not be putting it into a savings account. She's been shutting me down when I've mentioned it. I would say your probably right after 2.5 year she probably sees it as part of her income.

From gov.ie "Child Benefit is a monthly payment of €140 to support parents and guardians."

Selective quoting. Add…

The Department of Social Protection pays Child Benefit to the child’s mother or stepmother. However, if you are the child’s father or stepfather, you can get the payment if the child does not live with their mother or step-mother.

Even a stepmother gets it before the father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

it being paid into the mother’s account in no way means it is her money.

It does, in law, actually. It's paid to the mother, not into her account per se. It's into accounts for convenience but was once paid in cash to the mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This is such a Boards bank holiday thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭greyday

You won't be with her much longer so no need to stress about it.

So let's say the mother and father both earned 600 a week each. The mother gets the 140 a month child benefit and saves it for herself and all other expenses related to the child are split 50 50 between the mother and father. Would you say this is perfectly fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Raichų

yes because it’s her bloody money and leave her have it Christ man.
    You’re actually giving your Mrs tremendous shite over less than €32.50 a week.

myself and my partner split child costs as well but the child benefit is hers to do as she sees fit and necessary. I don’t look for half and don’t tell her to save it I leave it for herself to handle.

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, if it's "fine" or not. If you and your partner don't agree then you need to sort it out with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Other people are either a relationship further down enough that they share finances, or further apart that one has custody and gets the child benefit regardless of how they use it.

You could just stop paying for the child, say take it out of the child benefit, until she can be transparent with it. If she's actually short for money and uses this to get by every month - that's OK too. But you're not paying 50-50. You are paying more.

It's not a massive amount but significant enough, it's the cost of a holiday, a school trip, a bike, a computer. Treats and necessities your child will ask for or require.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭herbalplants

You appear to be a penny pincher who has to analyse any bill and how is split half and half. You would be a turn off for most women.

You should be glad this lady agreed to have a child with you.

You might not encounter another idiot to attempt to have a child with you in the future.

Living the life

Advertisement