Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Last December I got the Flu and Covid booster. It was my first winter in about 20 years where I did not get a head cold. This summer a lot of people around me got Covid or Flu's/headcolds(none of this cohort tested for COVID), I came through the whole period where I got a slight temo once or twice but no other symptoms. I do the same next September

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not dozens as you say ...your link says .13 frail elderly people .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And the incident made headlines and health authorities responded with updated advice to not vaccinate in such circumstances.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ah sure look at least they made an effort to provide a link I suppose :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The last claim I made supporting another poster was a 100% factual truth you said was a lie. I'm not suggesting you're referring to any posters in this thread with your "grand claims" but you're in no position to take the high ground about any group making false claims.

• Advertisement

This is what the poster claimed. They couldnt back it up. You couldnt back it up. Evidence has been asked for and what little has been provided does not prove the grand claims made, claims which are based on anti vax misrepresentations.

Isolated 'facts' cherry picked out of context do no the truth make.

This is a false claim.

"I was under the impression from the narrative when they were forcing out the vax that all the unvaxxed would be dead by now."

Thats a red herring. Outcomes have been assessed for people being treated for covid in ICU.

Here are articles from a respiratory consultant in NHS and data set from Australia. Worse outcomes for unvaccinated with similar clinical profiles.. average age much younger.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/ng-interactive/2022/jan/28/the-simple-numbers-every-government-should-use-to-fight-anti-vaccine-misinformation

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/21/icu-is-full-of-the-unvaccinated-my-patience-with-them-is-wearing-thin

There's nothing false about it, that's the narrative that was being pushed. They were told to expect a winter of severe illness and death. It didn't happen. The poster was well within their rights to make that assumption.

If that was the narrative that was being pushed should be trivial for you to find evidence from the time to support it.

But neither of you have provided a shred of evidence to support the notion "they would all be dead". Whatever a winter of death means it is a million miles away from that. And the death rates demonstrate vaccines saved millions of lives - so it would have been seasons of death without them.

Multiple posters have asked you for evidence - you have none.

They have pointed out the other narratives eg that most cases would be mild. Go back to Leos speech announcing lockdown - most cases would be mild.

So when you pick it apart it is just more anti vax nonsense then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Shoog

A specific outrageous claim was made without evidence. It was called out for the obvious bullshit it was.

• Advertisement

Hundreds of thousands of people needlessly died in the US alone, lives which could have been saved with vaccination. And that includes during Omicron wave.

In Chicago in early 2022... does this count as a winter of death? Well it was for those who died.

"Public health officials have also stressed death rates barely budged among the vaccinated and boosted while surging for older unvaccinated adults. The city reported an age-adjusted death rate peaking at 14 per 100,000 for the unvaccinated around Jan. 22 compared to about 1 per 100,000 for the boosted."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/02/08/omicron-deaths-covid/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I am “Novid.” The street term for someone who has not contracted Covid-19. Counting original vaccination and 6th months boosters, I have been vaccinated 6 times, and will booster again shortly to update my immunity and account for evolving virus variants. Because I work in a university lab with groups of scientists and students, I am allowed more frequent boosters than the norm.

I am also provided with N-95 masks for lab, teaching in classrooms filled with students, and also wear it for whenever I find myself in groups of people in meetings, shopping, banking, etc. So masking may be an additional factor when avoiding exposure to Covid.

My housemate contracted Covid before being vaccinated, was hospitalized, and now exhibits long Covid symptoms of what has been called brain fog, another street term for when she forgets little things, like did she forget to lock our door? Then coming back to check. One example of several short term memory losses now evident that did not occur before contracting Covid.

Of course, my personal experiences (above) were subjective and anecdotal, but was consistent with the suggestions found in the scientific literature. Furthermore, Covid patients should always consult their medical doctor regarding treatment, rather than depend on a discussion board, or other forms of news and social media.

Your feelings of shame regarding vaccinations, and your claim that Covid vaccines do not reduce the transmission of the virus, or if contracted after vaccination, reduce potential hospitalization and deaths, were not supported by the short term and midterm results of scholarly peer reviewed empirical research studies.

Although there has not been enough time to conduct longitudinal studies (beyond 5 years), the statistically large size samples of populations with millions of subjects researched in the short and midterm studies suggests a preponderance of empirical evidence to support the merit of Covid vaccination.

Post edited by Black Swan on

Again we're seeing a news article from somewhere else. I asked specifically about Ireland. No evidence has been provided as there is none.

On one hand your using what Leo said to claim most cases will be mild and then you go on to use US data to say it killed hundreds of thousands. We know for a fact the CDC lied, I'd wait a bit longer before putting any belief in that data.

Australia is struggling to come to terms with the amount of injuries caused by the vaccine. That's a fact, 10,000 injured by November 2021 alone and it now looks like employers are on the hook for their no jab no job policy.

I understood completely what op meant with his statement.

To quote Herr Spahn

"By the end of this winter pretty much everyone in Germany will have been vaccinated, recovered or died,"

To quote President Biden

"We are looking at a winter of severe illness and death for the unvaccinated -- for themselves, their families and the hospitals they'll soon overwhelm"

Which doesn't remotely support your original statement.

You asked about Ireland, information from Ireland has been provided on the thread. Also, information from other jurisdictions showing similar data as Ireland, but to a lower level. That is valid scientific data. You're unable to engage with the data which discredits your argument. So you try to pick and choose oh I only want data from Ireland.. then when it suits you pick quotes from elsewhere!. Nope, that's not how it works. An entirely self serving standards which has no valid basis.

We have abundant data from multiple jurisdictions establishing the same pattern seen in the headline data from Ireland - vaccinated at significantly lower risk of severe covid, lower risk of needing ICU treatment. Average age of covid admissions significantly lower for unvaccinated.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't come from Ireland. It's a nonsense argument you've retreated to, and not the line of argument anyone actually trying to arrive at the truth would use.

And then to top it off, in the space of a single post, you've already contradicted yourself, and destroyed your own utterly disingenuous line of argument - by trotting out quotes from Biden and elsewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's not a "clause", it's a fact.

In the later stages of the pandemic when over 90% of the adult population were vaccinated, the vaccine deniers discovered they could trick people who didn't understand proportions. If a report came out stating that e.g. 60% of the deaths in ICU were vaccinated. The vaccine deniers would project that the majority of deaths "were vaccinated".

Which of course is false, but unfortunately these types of underhand tricks and techniques work with some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Ah now. Anyone on their 6th vaccine who is in a not a risk group and still masking up needs help. (I assume the poster was young and reasonably healthy as they are in a houseshare). Also good chance they had Covid and were asymptiomatic. Unless they are testing every week to check which is possible considering they seem to be a classic case of OCD. Regarding the Norway study it is fairly clear to me that there were 23 deaths of which 13 were investigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think before suggesting others should get counselling, you should look at what makes you so susceptible to misinformation and get some help for that.

He's a professional in a medical field, so I respect his knowledge over your insults. Grow up.

My daughter's long term boyfriend is a doctor and has followed a similar regime of vaccination testing and mask wearing - and its the norm in his field.

You must visit different hospitals to me. i have not seen a mask in a hospital in a long time. I would guess most doctors have lapsed their jabs too. Common sense kicking in.

• Advertisement

In your opinion, which is worth **** to me.

This is personal account of a real actual doctor working in a real actual hospital in Cork.

Well your opinion is worth **** to me too. I have been in and out of hospitals for the last 2 years on non Covid related issues. And even in respiratory clinic you will not find mask wearing. Make of that as you wish. And that is from real experience in real hospitals by me not anectodal evidence from someone i know that is a doctor. My own GP does not wear a mask and asked me to remove mine if i felt more comfortable approx 2 years ago. Never been mentioned since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Hermitage had a mask wearing reinstated at least one occasion I was there in the summer.

Id wager the vaxx zealots are all in favour of a good ould mask mandate for all. Its worked in the past after all..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

No, you certainly got the virus but it was just extremely mild in your case, as with the majority, vaxxed or unvaxxed.

They've been using masks in medicine for over a 100 yrs. If someone doesn't believe in medicine it's quite ironic they'd be in a hospital in the first place.

Anyway just pointing out that I've seen it.

That "article" doesn't contract me in the slightest. Did you even read it..

"...The facemask has been used in surgical settings for over a hundred years..."

"...Despite clear evidence that facemasks act to protect the theatre staff from macroscopic facial contamination,..."

"...A randomised control trial investigating the uncertainty surrounding prophylactic antibiotic use in clean coronary artery surgery turned out to be catastrophic – the study had to be terminated early for ethical reasons due to an unacceptable increase in postoperative infection in the placebo cohort..."

In itself it's just a an opinion piece Its not based on a study, just says there's no recent studies, and suggests if there was perhaps opinions would change. That the absence of recent studies is not proof. That either could be true. While ironically giving an example where they do work, and another of catastrophic infection. Thus disproving the entire premise. Ultimately the article talks a lot but says very little.

If you thought this proves some point you're trying (and failing) to make, it doesn't.

Right then. You know what macroscopic means? Anyway no point reasoning with you. I think the final words of the study should be taken onboard by all.

"Instead, in the medical field where common practice can so easily become dogma, it is necessary to recognise the constant need to maintain a healthy scepticism towards established beliefs and to periodically re-evaluate and critically assess their scientific merit."

One of the largest field studies (already linked to in this thread), covering thousands of people, it was shown that mask use reduced COVID infections by just over 10%. This was after minimal training in use of masks.

Current HSE advice on mask wearing in hospitals;

Face masks

You may be asked to wear a face mask when visiting some health and care settings. The healthcare team will let you know if you need to.

Anyone who wants to wear a face mask to protect themselves and others should do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

While it is good to re-verify scientific results, mask and filtration experiments are covered daily during science classes, similar to the fundamental forces equations.

They are literally part of the curriculum as an experiment anyone can run and prove.

The question then is whether there is any reasoning with you on these topics.

Advertisement