Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Olympic Games, Paris - Athletics thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Don't think Ireland would have got a medal in mixed relay tonight even with Rhasidat. Think we would have been with Belgium competing for 4th. GB had a much better team here than in Rome, likewise Belgium added Doom, and now he has an extra race in his legs without a medal.

Happy to see Alfred win and did so easily. Hopefully coach Flo has timed it right for Rhasidat as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭CPTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Why would she run an event that she's not remotely competitive in? Does she even have a qualifying time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was surprised she didn't enter the breakdancing. 😛

Sports-person of the year is going to be a difficult one this year. If Kellie Harrington manages to double gold, you'd think she'd be a shoe-in, but a swimming gold medal(maybe more), first gymnastics medal (gold), and maybe a track and field medal - gonna be a tough choice.

Post edited by Krusty_Clown on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Femke was absolutely phenemonal last night, what can we say about her that hasn't been said already? No better sight in this sport than watching her sprinting down a home straight 😎 Not liking Michael Johnson on Twitter harping on about how the US 'lost' the medal though, seems a bit ungracious.

Glad Richardson didn't win the gold tbh, just always comes across like an unpleasant person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,538 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I can kind of understand Johnson’s point, albeit it comes across ungracious. American was 10-12 metres ahead with 200 to go. Femke did great, but maybe poor pacing also a real factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well she actually did run the 800 qualifying time a few months ago at BMC event in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭blackcard

What was the story behind the American in the 110m hurdles? Just trotted between hurdles, not injured. Some type of protest?

Grant Holloway!!! Love see him get gold. Missed out Tokyo only silver. I think 110 high hurdlers most technically skilled track runners.. savage speed and technique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭drury..

Switched to Eurosport . BBC coverage of athletics is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dolldot2

Heats lists for up for the women 400m tomorrow morning session. Rhasidat has probably the easiest heat in the last heat but Sharlene has a tough heat with Paulino and the American. Be great to see Sharlene make the semi but I think will be a step too far for Becker to make the semi but the real test will be the semi’s as going be red hot 🔥… but for Rhasidat a nice way to ease into the track racing in her heat …

https://olympics.com/en/paris-2024/results/athletics/women-s-400m/rnd1--------

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think I'd give it to Daniel Wiffen if he wins another gold.

If Adeleke gets Gold, I'd give it to her.

You're right though it's difficult to choose.

Rhys, Kellie and the Rowers are all worthy winners.

My impression though is that swimming is the more competitive of all those sports except Adeleke's event.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dolldot2

I can Wiffen doing the Double he looks so good so confident …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭aero2k

I know nothing about track running, but what a big event performer she is. RQ on here is a John Wooden fan - he would tell his players "be quick, but don't hurry", and Bol did that to perfection. I thought when she got the baton she'd be doing well to medal, but she took it carefully, picked her way through the chaos of the changeover zone, eased up to max cruising speed, and by the end of the back straight looked so much more comfortable than those ahead of her.

There are so many world class sportspeople, but every so often one comes along that seems to be able to bend the rules of physics, slowing down time, or making a tiny bit of extra space, all seemingly with no effort. Wondrous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭aero2k

The yanks were arrogant and didn't take account of what a difference Bol would make in the final. They only won the world's last year because Femke dropped the baton.

Bol always seems to pace it right, no doubt due to her hurdles expertise.

SML.. never heard her interviewed, but going by her look, she has a scowl about her. Not a friendly looking face..am I off?

Shooting on bbc1 and red button

Tennis final not being shown

There must be some numpty in charge there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

At the risk of taking the bait, who cares how scowly or friendly she is, or how she looks?

Just a question on her is all. You can’t answer, so probably best you don’t waste your time, and mine, by taking the bait..🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’ve seen her interviewed recently in Atlanta. She’s perfectly nice.

She’s a 24 year old girl under huge pressure. Everybody is hanging the gold medal around her neck with the added expectation of a probable WR.

People react differently to pressure. Cut the girl some slack. Would you be your best self under that level of scrutiny?

grand. You’ve answered it. “I’m off” with my thought..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭deisedude

I can't warm to SML and hope Bol beats her. She is obviously a generational talent but barely competes even skipping World Championships. It's not good for the sport of one if your marquee names isn't visible 90% of the time

Its a bit like is peak Messi decided to play just a handful of matches per year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Thud

could say the same about Julien Alfred yesterday, didn't crack a smile until after the race when she got to her family in the crowd.Lot of pressure on these athletes and a lot of mind games being played too

It seems unlikely that Bol will beat SML

SML is simply faster

Dont see the relvance of not liking the look of someone or how often they compete

What’s thoughts on Adeleke not running the mixed relay? I’m of the opinion that she is part of a team, albeit an individual, but could have put the team as a joint priority, or close second priority. It’s 400 metres, not 4000 metres. And a day + rest until 400 flat. Of course she has to think about injury. I get this.

She should have done a Femke!!

Ah you're back with another bit of troll bait

She prioritized the individual 400m as is her option

• Advertisement

it’s a legitimate question. Isn’t that what these topics are about..? It’s not like folks haven’t considered or talked about it. Bit of a lazy-ignorant reply from you.

Advertisement