Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I'm not sure if it is based on their charitable status but they are still expected to lose their corporation tax exemption. Only other exemption I am aware of is business rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

…,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Surprisingly little chatter here given the riots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I would imagine this Labour MP might be having a few phone calls from party HQ since the hotel she's so worried about is now on fire, making her comments look even more of a dog whistle.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Enzokk

While she will probably be sick that this happened, if the hotel was used for years for such purposes it would not have been a secret for those looking to intimidate, hurt or even kill those inside. Still it should be a warning for MP's that those rioters are looking for a fight and you do not need to add kindling and a spark to their fire.

You do not want to be in a position to always just blame the previous government for the current problems, but when you read stories like this,

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/aug/04/conservatives-left-uk-wide-open-to-far-right-violence-says-former-adviser

'The Conservative government left the UK wide open to the far-right violence erupting across parts of the country by ignoring red flags and stoking fires with a culture war agenda, a senior adviser on extremism to Tory prime ministers has said.

Dame Sara Khan, who was Rishi Sunak’s independent adviser for social cohesion and resilience until May this year and acted as counter-extremism commissioner under Theresa May and Boris Johnson, said the recent administrations had failed the British people.

Repeated and urgent counsel that far-right extremists were exploiting gaps in the law to foment violence on social media had been ignored while top-rank politicians in a series of administrations sought to gain advantage by waging culture wars, Khan said, in a damning intervention.

“The writing was clearly on the wall for some time,” Khan said. “All my reports have shown, in a nutshell that, firstly, these extremist and cohesion threats are worsening; secondly, that our country is woefully unprepared. We’ve got a gap in our legislation which is allowing these extremists to operate with impunity.

“Previous governments have astonishingly failed to address these trends, and they’ve taken instead, in my view, approaches that have actually been counterproductive and actually just defy any logical rationale.

“They scrapped the counter-extremism strategy [in 2021], including all the resources and funding for local areas across the country who are struggling with extremist activity and extremist actors. And the government, at that time, did not replace it with anything. They left local authorities struggling to deal with consistent extremist challenges in their area.

“Political leadership is really important and how our politicians behave is really, really critical, because I’ve seen, and I’m sure other people have seen, politicians who have actually, indirectly or directly undermined social cohesion because they’ve used inflammatory language.”'

I also wonder how much these thugs have been itching for a fight, seeing as they could not go to Germany to battle others at the Euro's and those guys also fight back, and the absence of football means you just have angry people with time on their hands and they are now just looting and causing trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not really sure what to add, honestly.

It's depressing seeing Badenoch continuing with the same culture war nonsense that helped make this possible, not to mention her party's destruction of the UK's judicial system.

Hopefully, the police clamp down hard on the rioters and they get lengthy sentences but I'm not hopeful.

It's insane that X is allowed to foment this conflict consequence-free. It's not neutral as it pretends to be and that's before we discuss this guy:

Their algorithm actively promotes radicalising content and they should be treated as a publisher.

More of this, please:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think, that as an interim measure, the UK Gov should insist that social media removes 'likes' and 'follow' numbers. That would eliminate 'going viral' and would cut out much of this piling on of particular issues.

The UK Gov needs to get access from social media platforms to the principal generators of this fermenting of hatred and promoting violence.

If the social media companies, particular Twitter and Tick Tock, were held liable for the financial consequences of these riots then it might soften their cough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Unfortunately removing those would basically be like removing wheels from a car: it is entirely the point of social media and what drives its algorithms in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I follow a few channels on Youtube like TLDR News and Politics JOE but I've had to tell it to stop recommending far right, white supremacist outlets several times. The algorithm actively pushes content to radicalise people and it's barely talked about in the public sphere.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Maybe removing the wheels from a car that belongs to a habitual speeder might be a good idea.

Then do Mainstream Media who are just as guilty, get Leveson to carry on his inquiry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I listened to the Leading two part podcast interview with Nick Clegg of Meta. He denied there's a link between social media and polarisation…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't disagree with the sentiment, only that the ecosystem depends on it so much it'd never gain traction. Especially as news outlets also depend on manipulating the same overall emotional mechanics.

But it doesn't help that the surge in bullshít bigotry can be traced right back to one of the worlds major social media platforms being taken over by a right wing troll / 4chan poster

Well, he would in fairness. He's hardly going to admit it.

That said, The Economist ran a piece not so long ago about Mark Zuckerberg moving Meta and Facebook away from Politics. I see a lot less Politics in my feed now. Musk has done the opposite and at some point, it will come to a head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,390 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Won't someone please think of the social media shareholders and investors?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,613 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I never understood the saying "we want our hotels back" it's not as if local residents are having a romantic weekend away in a Holiday inn in Tamworth.

If he didn't say that he'd be out of the cushy job that he sold his soul for.

It's easy to be facetious but the UK is a country that is heavily dependent on FDI. That said, I fully support action on these awful tech companies, particularly X. We regulated print, radio, and television. They are no different.

Out of curiosity where instead would you recommend going to to source one's news?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't recommend any one television or radio channel, and certainly no newspaper, Channel 4 news is what I watch for a news bulletin.

They will not be long sorting out their platforms and the algorithms they use if they are held criminally or financially liable for the damage caused by the riots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭flatty

Nice idea in theory, but I'd imagine it's fairly unworkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,578 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The fella on the bike got a great pic of your man's arse as he flew onto the van floor.

Just on the question of the poison of social media, I gotta share this video as a bit of illumination: truly the moment that made me go "… and there it is" was the exact moment the man on the line said "I read it on the internet" (that "95% of Blacks were problematic"); coupled with a quiet determination that no, he doesn't think he's wrong because all his friends think the same.

I gotta tip my hat towards Swarbrick's almost saintly patience to lead the guy along without ever once biting into him; O'Brien's box-office but can come across hostile in his own way; equally though Swarbrick got nowhere in showing the caller just how patently insane the prejudice was. Perhaps "Gary" hung up and had a good hard think 'cos there were more than enough pauses in that exchange - but it sounds like it'd only last up until the first Reddit / Twitter post that peddled more xenophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Social media is undoubtedly part of the problem but UK politicians (and not just a small number on the fringes, many high profile MPs) have been stockpiling fuel for this particular problem for years. They should bear a huge amount of responsibility too. The Southport situation is just the spark to this fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,613 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Oh the Tories are not.going to like this, be interesting to see the angle of attack (giving into the unions) for the new conservative leaders race.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,638 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That law was never gonna last. I'de say if the new government didn't take it down a court eventually would.

It was only a Tory virtue signal law anyway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,534 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement