Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit debate over use of the money

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

IF you can afford to invest it, that is a great decision to make. But if you go down this route, don't just pop it into a bank account / credit union or state savings, it needs to be properly invested to grow in value over time.

You'll be glad of the investment decision in 17 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Raichų

yeah I mean it’s only paid to her for her to use as she sees fit but it’s not her money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

Just withhold 70 a month on her if you feel that strongly about it, if everything is 50/50 she shouldn't have a problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

I get his point. The fact that she is refusing to even discuss where it goes or that they save/invest it, for the child, would annoy me too.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

She can't leave him. She would have to be real to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We've 3 kids here - it started as going into a savings account for college but of late has been used to pay towards various activities etc (all in primary and life is expensive).We went through everything s couple of months though and have committed again to putting it away and not touching it for college, so that is what is happening now here.

It is being paid into my account and any correspondence on it from the Dept of Social Protection has always been addressed solely to me (yes we are married).Take from that what you will.

Savings account with no interest? You're shooting yourself in the foot there. Get some financial advice and invest it properly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes thanks, we have.For several varying reasons, which I am not going into here, it is in a regular savings account.For now, to be revisited in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭afatbollix

We have our own accounts but have a joint house account where bills are sorted from.

That's where our child benefit goes.

Reading this thread I should just hand it to my wife, Whereas she would rather put it towards childcare thats done through the joint account.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭claregal1

My ex was the same used to demand half the child benefit money saying half was his. What he didn't know was I used to spend it on treats every Tuesday myself and his kids would go out for dinner and the cinema. Sometimes I used it for a school trip, other times maybe new runners for one of the kids. Maybe once or twice I used it to get my own hair done. The point of the matter is, it's a benefit paid to Mothers and you can be damn sure your partner is spending it on you and your child.

Cop on. If ye were split up and had 50 50 each the child benefit would still be paid to the mother and wouldn't be taken into consideration in any custody payment agreement. You've little to bother you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭greyday

I see it as a payment that herself gets for the extra she does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,679 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

We have the child benefit paid into the joint account and it helps with the bills. All bills and shared expenses are split 50-50

We set money aside in savings for the kids seperate to this

The child benefit has historically been paid to the mother because they weren't working after having children. Irish husbands were often too brain dead to share their earnings with their family in an equitable way, so the child benefit was for the mother to pay for the kids food and clothing

While I'm sure many will argue times are different, I'll chuck in a counter argument that for many women in Ireland the past is very much the present

To the OP I would strongly suggest you consider the following; even if your partner earns a similar amount to you she is poorer overall. Women have to pay for things like menstural products, makeup and often work attire that men do not, it's called the pink tax

On top of that, in the long run women tend to earn less than their male counterparts so her ability to save long term will be limited

I would suggest you be somewhat more understanding in your attitude towards her, and frame your approach in terms of joint goals for both of you and your children and see how best to achieve those goals

Alternatively you can stay on your high horse and end up seeing your child at weekends if that's your preference

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Our fella has a credit union account in his name that the child benefit money is paid into. His mother is named on the account. I am not. It doesn't bother me. The idea is not to touch the money until college.

This guy is looking to invest for the child's future. It's not like he wants half the money to go off to the pub with his mates.

If the family finances can forgo the €140 a month then he is the sensible one here and his missus needs to listen to what he is saying.

And a pink tax 😂 nobody forces women to spend the crazy money on make up, hair, clothes (and botox, fillers and the rest of that crap). It's been proven that Gillette charges more for a pink razor than other standard razors, but they all shave legs. If you fall for that it's on you, it's not a tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Shoog

The money is there to support maximum stability in the family which is essential for the child's life outcomes. Whatever best achieves that is what the money is for.

It's generally paid to the mother simply because they are more likely to spend it on essentials for the children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Most people I've spoken to about this, just treat it as part of the overall family pot. It's not specifically earmarked for anything, just added into the mix. There is no splitting of bills, 50:50.

It helps in months where there is a bigger outlay on the kids, e.g. back-to-school or a birthday party, or christmas. I used to use my June, July and August CB for back to school, then September, October and November were put by for Christmas

I wouldn't push too hard on this, if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭SteM

By the way, if your a man and there is an issue with payment for your child for whatever reason don't even bother trying to speak to the relevant department about it. They will just shut you down and tell you to get the mother to contact them. It's a frustrating experience, they won't deal with the father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Ted222

Plus 1.

It’s part of your joint income, same as your salaries. Assuming you have some agreement on how to split this pot, the child benefit should be regarded as a benefit to you both.

It’s intended as a resource to fund the child’s upbringing so assuming you have some role in this regard, I don’t see why you shouldn’t have some input into how it’s spent.

If you can jointly afford to put away 140 a month towards the child’s future expenses, good for you. But it doesn’t necessarily have to be funded from child benefit. I don’t get the distinction.

It means nothing of the sort. It’s an income to the family unit that is being decided upon unilaterally.

And by the way, I assume the mother had some say as to whether she wanted a child. She didn’t just have it for the father’s sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I would have thought, based on conversations with friends and family that the norm for most working couples was to save the child benefit towards college costs etc. That was what we decided to do with it before our first was born.

What is wrong with separate accounts? We are married a good few years and have kids and never even considered getting our salaries paid into a single joint account - both of us wouldn’t like the idea of that. We split bills 50/50 and transfer back/over the amounts as we go (big ticket items like the mortgage we have auto transfers setup) - with Revolut this is effortless really.

I remember posting on another thread on this topic a while back and it was a strangely divisive topic for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

The distinction seems to be that he would have to fund the shortfall and it's annoying that a partner is being secretive about (shared) finances

Also he's looking to invest it in the child's future, that's something that should be a topic up for discussion

Post edited by Norrie Rugger Head on

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Exactly! It’s about more than child benefit.

If a partner isn’t upfront about income and willing to share, the problem is not about CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can't really see the sense of it, once married every asset is 50/50 between partners, in Ireland we don't have prenuptial agreements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Not sure what prenups or 50/50 asset splits have to do with it. It’s simply our preferred way to manage finances, we both work hard and would much prefer our salaries going into our own accounts where we have full control over them to save/spend as we want (after contributing to all shared expenses).

The idea of pooling salaries and both people spending from the joint account was never something I liked the idea of even hearing about it long before I was in a long term relationship.

We had a shared bank account from before we were married. I would associate separate bank accounts with serious trust issues and wouldn't have confidence in the durability of the relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭combat14

140 pm invested at 8% is worth €63,000 over 18 years so its well worth discussing what is happening with this benefit for the child when the costs are otherwise being split 50/50 - if it was a man taking the 32.5 per week there would be war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Dan Steely

We saved our sons children's allowance in a separate account. He is starting third level next month. He is not getting a grant. At £3000 fees per year that saved money saved him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I’m really surprised at the amount of people saying that this money is the mother’s money. Its child benefit to be spent on the raising the child - so either it should be saved so costs like school trips and college aren’t a big outlay, or it goes into food and bills etc. so if people are splitting costs 50/50 - this is part of that mix. It’s not a special mother’s payment for hair cuts and what not. If it’s going towards clothing and summer camps etc. for the child that’s fine - but why isn’t it discussed between both parents???

Unless a mother is a feckless druggy, a mother will mostly prioritize her children far more than the father. This is well establish reality so it is reflected in how CB is paid. It is also the case that CB is focused on child poverty in below average income families where it can make the difference to child welfare.

There are far to many alcoholic fathers who would simply pocket the CB and piss it up a wall. This is why it is paid to mothers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭YellowLead

This is not relevant for the OP and his situation? Nor am I arguing against it getting paid to a mother’s account for the reasons you mentioned. However most people save it or it’s part of a joint account - I personally don’t know any mothers hoarding it for themselves which seems to be the case with OP’s baby mother. It was paid into my account in my case but it was never part of my private spending - food and clothing and piano lessons etc. for my my son. I would have loved to have been in a position to be able to save it, but I wasn’t earning enough.

Advertisement