Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit debate over use of the money

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

OP...The money is meant for your kids welfare, not your partners makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If you read back you'll see I'm heavily in favour of investing the child benefit.

And it's a 41% exit tax when these investments are set up properly, not Capital Gains Tax at 33%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I honestly don't know how you can be living together, have a 3-year old child and pay for everything 50/50 - without having a joint account? How on earth do you keep track of it all?

Maybe it's just what I'm used to but it sort of sounds like the OP and partner don't really trust each other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Every relationship is different. I know couples who split the petrol cost in the shop, I know ones with one joint account and nothing else, ones with a joint and two separate, and others with just seperate accounts. Everyone is different, none represent trust issues, just the way it works for them. While only one of these options works for me, the other options which I would be uncomfortable with work for others.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Get a joint account, each of you put in an agreed amount then get the child support sent there and have all your utility bills, rent, mortgage etc paid from there.

If you are both sole Revolut customers that's probably the easiest place to open one as they will reuse the AML documents they have on you both.

We opened one as soon.as we moved in together (before marriage) with another bank to begin with, can't imagine doing it any other way.

I know Weirdos who split the bills when they come in or one person covers zx and the other Y when a joint account is so much easier. Means each person also has some money to spend/waste on whatever after the bills are paid and there should be no resentment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Always regarded as my wife's money here. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

We're married with 1 child and all the usual bills, together 15 years and still don't have a joint account, never needed it so far so we'll probably never bother with it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Oh you've changed your tune. Now "most" fathers are responsible

And yes, many many couples have separate accounts and still share expenses equitably, and (shock/horror) have mature conversations about finances and planning for a child's future needs.

OP is well within their rights to be thinking of the future and, also, well within his rights to ask about household income

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Shoog

I never said anything other than most fathers are responsible - you simply read it as if I was accusing all men of been the same. It's your projection which is the issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Your wife of 35 years agrees with your opinion that the way you both have been living is the correct way. That's a surprise.

Case closed then.

• Advertisement

There are obvious trust issues in the opening posters remarks - so I think my comments are entirely applicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,589 ✭✭✭✭ted1

how is it technically here’s ?

OP, I’ve 3 kids. Wife gets it, buys clothes, food , etc for the kids.

You sound very miserable.

The reason you think they have trust issues is because he has come on here and basically admitted it. It's not because of what bank accounts they have or don't have.

Your points about shared accounts adds nothing. You may as well say they don't have matching star signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

all well and good when both of ye are on the same income.
    doesn’t really work if one is on a lower income putting all their money into the joint account, while the higher earner is living it up.

As for the OP if you listen to some posters on here you have no right to know where the child benefit for “your” child is going , the key word being yours, both parents child.

It’s a payment for the mother, to make her feel special and how dare you ask where it’s going or request an input in to how it’s spent.

It’s the mothers special payment, god forbid you wanted to spend some of it on taking your child to cinema, buying some treats or to get your hair done “ sometimes”, I’m sure you would be told where to go.

for all the wokeism these days in this country, gay rights , feminism , men/women wanting to be women/men rights , equal rights , gender pay gaps, when it comes to child benefit , that’s all irrelevant.

So by that logic What happens with same sex couples in regards to child benefit,

2 women? So they split it 50-50 is it? Because they are both mothers.

2 men, ?? Any ideas?

Or 25% male , 75% female couple? Any ideas?

Or to adoptive parents? Seeing as neither of them went through the pain of giving birth?

OP in a relationship being fair and open , you 100% have a right to know or have an input into how that money is used if you so desire.
    your partner is wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭head82

Anyone else remember when CB used to be referred to as 'mickey money'?

Or am I just showing my age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't know how it can be any clearer. It is a payment to the mother with no preconditions on how she uses it. We all know how it should be used but that's another matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If this is the same girlfriend who was driving you to distraction with her behaviour five years ago, then I think that a) you have far bigger issues than 140 scabby quid a month at play here, and b) you have some serious questions you should probably be asking yourself, tbh.

It obviously makes sense to pay it to the mother. Not because most fathers are drunken fools, but because fathers have no rights (in practice) in family court so if the relationship between mother and father breaks down, then the mother will certainly get custody of the children.

That has literally nothing to do with it. It's more male victimhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭scwazrh

And if you happen to be the one in the relationship with a Mickey you didn’t see a penny of it .

We must both be old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I wasn't giving you an opinion.

I was giving you actual facts behind why the State decided that child benefit would be paid to mothers, in the first instance.

Neglectful husbands was also only one of the reasons. Another was that paying it directly to mothers was supposed to encourage women to have more babies, so there would be more tax payers to fund future pensions. (Yes, that was an actual government strategy!) .

You don't have to like the facts, but that doesn't change them.

Currently, child benefit is paid to over 650,000 families every single month. It is a massive scheme. It can be paid to both mothers or fathers, as per custody arrangements I outlined earlier.

DSP are not in the business of getting involved in how families spend, save or split those funds once it is paid over to them. It's up to parents to have that conversation, which in fairness the OP is trying to do.

But I can't see DSP changing how the scheme is administered any time soon, to make sure each parent "gets their share".

Plenty of modern day misogyny on this thread, too.

We've two kids 10 and 8. Separate accounts been married 13 years, living together 19.

We just split bills (I'm better at online and renewal, she does the cash stuff)

We're lucky enough that after everything we both have disposable and savings so does not really matter who pays for what.

Large expenses? We discuss and make sure that neither is left short.

For the record, not a clue where the child benefit is spent. It's in general cash on her side BUT I could discuss it with her easily

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Its specifically stated that it is paid to the mother or stepmother or the parent who has greater custody.

This was decided for specific strategic and practical reasons based upon evidence of parents behaviours.

Thats the facts.

You're not providing an opinion. The other poster did

It's also a strawman, what they brought up. The money is paid to the mother but it is NOT hers. It's for the child and their welfare. It's family income and a father (or other mother) should be able to sit down with their partner and discuss family finances and future planning without the other getting pissed off or defensive

You seem to have a real problem having it pointed out that some men have a habit of pissing away the family income and leaving their kids in destitution.

I mean make up your mind.

Another misandrist comment. Yes it's paid to the mother, for historical reasons (mainly that she had no independent income). It's just a dine thing these days

Still does not make it hers, and still a partner can ask that it be accounted for

There are plenty of alcoholic and addicted mothers. My childhood area has a fair few.

It was paid to her to ensure that the primary homegiver had an income to pay for the child, she had no independent income.

That's not the case these days. It's always been for the child and a parent can have a grown up discussion about finances in the household

Not if you insist on have separate finances. There are consequences to making certain decisions and this is one of them. It's paid to her so it's hers to spend just like the rest of her income.

If you want to have an equal say in how she spends her money - put it into a joint bank account and make all decisions together otherwise live with your choices.

• Advertisement

It's not her disposable cash, it's for child care expenses.

Mature people can have family discussions, there is no legal separation of family income

Your comment would mean that the higher earner dictates when and where spends can occur. That's dysfunctional

Advertisement