Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child benefit debate over use of the money

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Shoog

It is her disposable cash, you would hope and expect that she would spend it on the children as almost all mothers do - but there is absolutely no rule that says she has to.

Your confusing what aught to happen and reality. The partner can ask all he likes about the money - but if you make decisions about how you organise these things which separate financial obligations - then these are the consequences of those decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

It's for expenses related to the child.

Would you be happy enough that he withhold €70 a month until she discusses it? It would seem ridiculously petty, no? Same as not accounting for it

It's a small amount of money to many of us but not for a lot of people.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

If their relationship is so messed up that it comes to that - then I suspect they won't be together much longer (as I said before).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭SodiumCooled

It’s really very straight forward, especially nowadays with Revolut. Large fixed outgoing we simply have auto transfers set up e.g. I have an auto transfer for my half of the mortgage to my wife set for the 1st of the month as it come out of her account. Day to day stuff who ever pays just hit split bill or send a Revolut payment request. Finally we also keep an ongoing list in notes in our phones for anything that falls outside the above splits that might be let run a few weeks and is settled up then (it often more or less cancels out).

Much prefer this than operating out of a joint account, even one that’s funded from separate accounts - which is a method I wouldn’t have an issue with either but prefer our way. Both getting paid into one account though and working out of that I would not ever consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I think OP is not feeling he has equal rights in his relationship, so he is clutching at this tiny straw as a coparent to fight for his rights. If he felt confident in his rights, he wouldn't bother…

On the other hand maybe mother is doing more unpaid for job with a kid, so feels she deserves it…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,818 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is 3-4 different ways you can look at this. If nothing parents are earning much the same then it's more or less 50/50 and CA should be included in this.

My better half job shared for 15+ years. We never had a joint account. I generally paid the bills mortgage loans etc as well as the health insurance electricity and telephone. I arrange servicing of cars if we were buying a car we see who had money available, we have not borrowed for a car for a out 20 years.

She bought the shopping, kids clothes we pooled for holidays depending on who had money.

The CA was paid into her account . However it was part of the pool of money available to both of us. I think some of the CA went into an education fund but we did not really touch it as we funded college out of general income for the three children.

The other thing to remember is there couid be 2-3 children allowance payments amounting to 280 or 420/ month. In tge case of three children it 5k in income a year.

OP if yourself and you wife earned h tge sane it should be pooled. If either earn substantially more than the other a 50/50 split on costs is not fair either.

As I said we never had a joint account except for savings. I did most of the investing but picked up most of the bill as well. However both of us knew what we both earned and where savings were

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

We all have our little indulgences. Many women like to spend on beauty treatments, or on clothes and makeup. There are also plenty of men who also like to spend on personal grooming, clothes, hobbies, gym memberships etc.

Personally, I see no difference between a parent who does any of the above on the day the monthly salary comes into the bank account, to someone who does it on the day child benefit does. It's all out of the same pool of income, and presumably all child related costs are still being met. If they're not, then there is a problem to discuss.

But if it makes the partners in their lives feel more secure that child benefit is only being spent on the kids, then it's time to have one shared account for child / household stuff, and personal accounts for everything else.

(As an aside, it may be unknown to some posters here, that many beauty salons run special offers on the first tuesday of the month with significant savings to be made. It's a marketing ploy. So if your partner visits a salon on that day, you should thank her for trying to save money!)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭rowantree18

I would be in the camp that thinks if you don't need to use the money for the child each month (some people don't - their salaries luckily can cover this) - then, yeah I'd be putting the money into an investment or something which can be used for college or a deposit later on. If the money is needed on a monthly basis then it should be fairly transparent where it's going. It shouldn't be used as play money by either parent.

Woman who had a child here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

In these times of equality both sexes have equal opportunity of pissing away the family income and leaving their kids in destitution.

Traditional, and I daresay now as well - it's far from equal in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

In general these days women p*ss away a lot more money on unnecessary cr*p from Amazon etc and even a lot of rubbish bought for baby is unnecessary expenditure.

In exceptional circumstances only, men squander a fortune on gambling and drink. In the vast majority of relationships women spend more unnecessary money than men.

Those are some pretty sweeping generalisations.

And I suppose it's the men who get to decide what is "unnecessary expenditure", right? Because the silly little women can't be trusted with money.

I can see what way this thread is going now. Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Raichų

if she doesn’t want to for some reason then it should be respected. If a man was being hounded by his partner like this then you are right there would be war.

You appear to have a fairly contradictory view on things, you don’t agree with couples having separate finances (making fairly over the top judgements on lack of trust etc) while at the same time saying the CB is the woman’s to keep and spend as she sees fit.

So men can not be trusted with money basically, all salary should be pooled (presumably so it can be clearly tracked by the woman in the relationship) but the child benefit should go to the woman so she has money to spend as she sees fit but a man couldn’t be trusted with it. It’s no wonder that men are so heavily discriminated against in marriage breakups when options like this are still going around.

As for the comment about keeping separate finances meaning there can be no say on where the CB goes, that is also baseless. We decided with pretty much no thought at all on it that the CB would be saved for future expenses such as university - as is common among anyone I have spoken with on the topic - operating out of our own individual accounts had no impact on this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

I guess you aren’t living together?

So this should be part and parcel of any other discussions such as childcare, doctors visits, health insurance… so these bills are split 50:50 then I think CB either gets put aside or deducted from total costs.

if you are living together then I don’t understand what the issue is.

If one eats more than the other or has a longer shower do you fret over that too?

If there isn't trust enough to pool resources then the situation dictates that the women is in charge of the CB since she has it paid into her bank account. How I feel about that is not material - it's what it is.

People confuse making a statement of observable fact with a judgement on those facts.

Personally, as I have clearly stated, a healthy relationship has none of these issues, the wife/partner/mother is trusted to handle money responsibly for the good of her family/children and since she is the recipient of the CB it is her responsibility to manage it.

I never had a single issue of trust about money with my partner over our whole marriage - but we defined the ground rules at the begining and stuck to them. All financial decisions are joint, all resources are joint, all responsibilities are taken jointly.

If that not built into a relationship at the very begining you will inevitably meet issues of trust along the way.

• Advertisement

just wondering how you handle other differences in income.

you earn roughly the same… but maybe check the exact amount in case other « family » income is going astray.

if it’s shared custody do you check how many nappies each used?

actually I know a couple who split everything 50:50. Until one of them decided to buy cheaper nappies.. the meltdown was funny, actually it wasn’t… it was sad to see a couple fall apart over a difference in pampers v Lidl brand. Needless to say they split, this was where the cracks came to light.

didn’t you have this conversation before you decided to have a child together?

have you talked about other stuff? Branded or chain store trainers? Second hand bike or new? Fee paying school? Apprenticeship v uni? There are a lot of things that you need to get your head around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

Is it mandatory to have a joint bank account when you get married?

Would love to see where it is mandated.

I'm married 20+ years and it has never come up. She pays some things, I pay others, never been an argument. Asked a couple of friends and they don't have joint account either. They said (like me) that this was something their parents did in the old days.

Is it still a thing? Maybe as an ADDITIONAL account some people would have it, but as a norm? Definitely not amogst people I know.

As for the OP. Children are expensive. Many costs are almost invisible, but they add up. The €140 goes towards these costs that are way above €140. Just trust her and never ever ask what it is spent on unless finances become tight.

I find most people have a joint account for stuff like mortgage and household expenses. It can be helpful where it might appear that one buys the house and the other pays for consumables… 5 years later who owns the house?

married or not it is useful to establish what’s joint.

I know couples who don’t share finances, but some are odd imo… like one has a rusty push bike while the other has a brand new sports car… fine if that is how you want it but it seems poor form to me.

That’s a good point on how things were done in the past compared to now. I think in the past this was likely much more common to pool everything in one account but for modern couples I would think it’s not nearly as common. People are older getting married so have their finances (and how they manage them) much more established, people are more independent and importantly in most cases both couples work.

With multiple fintech banks also it’s not unusual for someone to have 3 or 4 current accounts, a few savings accounts and investments so going back to pooling in a single current account would be a very usual move in my opinion.

Both couples working and having their own income is also very different to when CB was introduced and the origin of why it’s seen as a payment for the mother (as back then it may have been her only independent money).

I find it very strange how relationships have become so transactional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well done lads. Some of ye just can't help but fall for a windup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭JVince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,635 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'm surprised how difficult it is for some couples to budget. It's very straightforward, or it should be be.

A joint bills account is fairly essential imo. Just agree how to split what goes into it from each person. Change split amount as necessary. Then the couple can have seperate accounts if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

In this particular instance, as both parents earn the same and contribute the same to household expenses then the fairest thing in my opinion is that the Child Benefit should be divided equally between the two parents.
    If the partner in receipt of the CB wants to keep their half then they should send the other half to the partner. Then both parents can do whatever they want with their own half.

A completely separate conversation should be had on whether or not a fund should be started to prepare for the child’s future, and both parents would need to agree to put in half to that fund.

An open and honest conversation is required for both above issues to be resolved satisfactorily.
    If one partner is refusing to discuss such a simple thing then it doesn’t paint them in a very good light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Upandout

I have yet to see any family where the mother doesn't buy more for their children. Given the historical reasons for CB I believe it should be up to the mother.

When everything is fair and equal and I mean everything then I would happily discuss. Still see men having no clue of their childs clothing or shoe sizes in shops so doubt if there has been that much of improvement in men stepping close to equal parenting inclusive the mental load.

Advertisement