Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52,007 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What tv station is it on please as I can't seem to find it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Discovery + is the only way you can see it uninterrupted

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Shank Williams

1 back now…4 holes left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Doc07

rte finally showing

• Advertisement

ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭This is it

That's the end of that

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Holy mother of God. Every single time he does this. I am so done supporting him. Never fails to disappoint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Awful mistake but that drop zone looked horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,998 ✭✭✭Xander10

Got in sight of medals but is making a horlicks of this hole. Terrible chip from the drop zone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭murtyd17

That would break your heart - hopefully finishes strong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Seriously. What else did people expect at this stage?

delighted for rahm

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

I know Rory has won tons of tournaments but this kind of meltdown is becoming way to common, hopefully the end of season he can address the mental side of the game as its definitely a thing….hard to watch him down the straight as you are just waiting for him to blow up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Hard luck Rory but a lot of other casualties out there today. Scheffler a worthy winner in his pomp 🥇

I wonder how long it will be before Olympic Gold becomes the “5th major” in hearts and minds??? Will probably be played at Riviera next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭techdiver

It wasn't a meltdown. He played aggressive on the 15th (as did Scheffler) and came up a foot short of being brilliant. Those are the margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

Saw him nearly eagle 14 but the crowds were mental after so i headed over to 17 and got the bad news from 15. Waited there to watch the last groups play out. I have no idea how Scheffler stuck that approach on 17. I watched a bunch of groups fail to even reach the green or bail short right for the easier up/down.

Scheffler probably birdies slightly less % than Rory makes eagle 14. Fleetwood from rough on 17 cant emulate Scheffler and his chip from the rough comes out like a rocket - bogey. Such small margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Could have played it safe for silver/bronze,but he was on a serious roll and looking at gold,no choke, just 12/18 ins out with his approach

• Registered Users Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

He said himself he thought he'd go aggressive and had hit a perfect shot. It got held up slightly in the wind and was a yard or two short.

He didn't choke, he didn't bottle it, he didn't try and play safe. He was on it and was grabbing the round by the neck. Tiny, tiny margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭techdiver

Yeah, I can't understand how people don't get that. The word choker is just thrown around any time he doesn't win (and even sometimes when he does win).

Plays aggressive and doesn't pay off - Choker.

Play conservative and try to hang on and not win - Choker

Finish down the leaderboard - Choker

Win by 1 after leading by 4 - "OK, he won but still choked".

It's boring at this stage to be honest.

We might never have a golfer who had given us such consistent excitement in our lifetimes again and many will look back in years to come and finally realise what we had and will probably never have again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The title of this thread will never change.

Mcillroy doesnt have the nerve when it matters.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

We are here for you, we will get through it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yes LA 2028 Golf is going to held at Riviera which is a fantastic course though that Olympics is held a week earlier in July which could potentially get too close to that years Open Championship, I expect Men's Golf may be shifted to the final weekend of that Olympics to ensure a strong field. I thought it would take 2 or 3 tournaments for Golf to catch on at the Olympics which unquestionably it did this year with the highest calibre field with the best on the final day it was like a major shootout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Leaving aside the Olympics where I agree he didn’t choke, he went for it and it didn’t pay off which is admirable if anything, you’re suggesting he’s unfairly labelled as a choker in general. It really is hard to deny that he has choked badly on more than one occasion at pivotal times over the last 12 years. It’s. A cruel label but it really is one he has earned at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,525 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd consider the Olympics the biggest Major every four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,543 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That shot that went into the water. It looked like he liked the shot. He was flying at that stage.

Compared to the other chokes I think this was a bit different.

Speaking of choking. Jon Rahm had a mare. That was a proper choke. Fell apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,525 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have to say the label fits for this year's US open but that's the only time.

As far as the future is concerned I really fancy the man from his own club is going to be a superstar. 21 years of age, winner on the European tour already and super consistent.

If my own young lad keeps improving I think I'm going to have to sell up and move up there so I can have him playing there. 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’d love to know the amount of posters who’ve competed at a high level in any sport and who calls a golfer a choker for going for a shot and not pulling it off.

Miles apart but minor comparison: I've competed at a high level in a sport before a near fatal accident ended it for me and have coached football at senior level for the past few years, there is no settling for second or third place. You play to win. You try everything to get better. In rallying, you were looking to cut a corner by inches to make up a fraction of a second, not take the safe line around it and hope everyone does the same, you push the boundaries. Same for McIlroy taking in that shot, he could have laid up and settled for silver but why? He plays to win and he went for it.
    I’m as disappointed as everyone else and would have liked to see him and Lowry do well but also understand the pressure they put themselves under to try win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭bren2001

All 4 actual majors are bigger than the Olympics. You'd be in a tiny minority thinking the Olympics is bigger than the Masters (for example). The Olympics isn't a major.

Advertisement