Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Truthfully I've just been putting in the time to search for a lot of this info, (I will add its much harder atm because all terms with anything close to gender or sex immediately goes to stories on the current olympics) I had a somewhat basic knowledge of boxing from some time when I was younger but little to no knowledge of how its organized. So I'd love for someone who is an active boxer to break down what a pass book involves because it does seem to be the big 'maybe' in the room, as it seems in general all events tend to take these as gospel and as long as they are up to date and approved fighters are allowed to take part in an event. It requires a genuine level of doubt on someone's passbook/records book (I've seen it called both) to actually push back against it and insist on testing for something.

Which is why I think the IBA decision has been so heavily criticized. They claim they had reason to doubt the passbook (failed test in 2022) but claim they legally couldn't do anything but accept the book in 2023 and then run a second test to disqualify her during the event. If their chief concern was safety as they claimed and they had reasons to doubt the book based on a prior test then shouldn't they have been able deny her passbook and not let her into the event at all until the matter was resolved. Unless that pass book had details that made them question their initial test results and they opted to test again. This is all just going off the minutes of a meeting they released after they had disqualified her so its light on details. Even if one was to accept that the IBA was a 100% honest organisation there are serious questions about how the situation was handled by them.

As far as I am aware the only professional boxing organization to declare Imane Khelif is a man is the IBA. Most other organizations have either made no comment or have indirectly supported Imane Khelif by her continued participation in their events. Which as far as I can find has been World Boxing (Eindhoven Cup) and USA boxing (she was at a US boxing invitational just this year) both events have the requirement of boxers providing up to date records/pass books with up to date medical records which goes back to my above thought on what those books involve because they appear to carry a lot of influence on the decisions at these events.

Individuals on the other hand have been much more varied, I mentioned the Australian captain earlier being against Imran, but strangely the Australian Coach came out strongly in support of her. Some retired boxers or boxers who were not involved in this years Olympics have come down on different sides. I will point out of those, the ones who actually fought against Imran have mostly sided with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the whole thing seems like a mockery , whatever Lurch is doesnt look like it should be in the same ring as normal women, given that taking the wrong Aspirin could lead to a disqualification but whatever is happening above is fully endorsed? , some authorities have strange priorities!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

By all accounts, apart from claiming to be a woman in order to compete in athletics, semenya lives and identifies as a man in all areas of life, and has done since childhood, where he used a male name and didn't like hanging out with girls because they were "boring and soft". Aside from the fact that semenya seems to have been raised and socialized as a boy despite being incorrectly observed to be female at birth, it would have been painfully obvious at puberty what sex he was. I'd imagine it would have been the same for these boxers too if they have similar conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tarvis

Being born without recognisable genitalia in a rural poor community in Africa is no simple matter. Choosing female is easily done and easiest way to go when organs are not as they should be. Problems will not click on till puberty when hidden organs begin to function.
    Here’s is where having responsible adults about - medical and sporting - is very necessary to explain what has gone wrong and something HAS gone wrong. - this persons body will develop along male lines -through no fault of their own. it’s hard, it’s bad, and it’s a big burden but it’s not new to the medical world.

The sufferers of this disability are the ones who are most hurt - a childhood thinking all is fine and then with puberty growing into something quite different. What a cross to bear which has been made all the worse by so called sporting authorities and campaigners playing politics and ideological games. Rather than pulling the sufferer in different directions - a stop should have been put to their progress and counselling offered at the start of their ‘careers ‘ and not on the world stage.

When these games are over who will give continental hoot about the misled misdirected and mis diagnosed. Such a sad situation which is becoming sadder by the day.

And all for the want of some Back Bone

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭maik3n

Hmmm!…. come again?
    I think you are………. purposely forgetting someone here.

The blame clearly lies on one side….. and one side only.
    Namely, the TERFS, transphobes and bigots on the right, led by Queen JK who all made this an issue and brought a TONNE of hate down upon an innocent victim.

Khelif has been boxing for years with only minor pushback.

When Carini forfeited the fight, she made no mention of any trans issue and she hadn't weighed in on the subject previously either. As a seasoned boxer, she just knew when things weren't going the right way for her and decided to throw in the towel with humility.

In steps Terf Queen JK and other malcontents like Lord Elon and Logan Paul to use this fight incident and specifically Imane Khelif as their poster child for their anti-trans bigotry. The ironic thing was of course that Khelif apparently has lady parts and is only male in terms of high testosterone levels, due to some rare DSD condition. Although, whether the DSD claim is true is actually still up in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭whatever.

The high testosterone should have been a disqualification from women's sports by itself

Misinformation. Khelif was determined to be genetically male, with xy chromosomes. It was nothing to do with testosterone levels that they were excluded from the previous competition. And literally no one has said they are trans, not even the "queen terf" lol

Is Nicola adams also a terf now? Or maybe someone who is well placed to understand that women's sports should be for women, and the consequences for female boxers in particular. Perhaps do as she says here and you'll understand the issue. It's not khelifs fault that they have a medical condition but it doesn't mean they should be competing against females when they aren't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Nice rant there, well done.

Two questions though:

• Would you agree that the general public want to watch women’s sport and know - not guess - if there are actually females taking part?
    • Is it not just reasonable, whenever there is some reason for doubt about the sex of a participant in the female category of a combat sport, to prioritise the safety of their opponents and to carry out testing to remove any doubt once and for all?

(A cheek swab takes a few seconds and used to be the norm for all female Olympic athletes. It was removed by the IOC despite over 80% of female athletes polled voting to keep it. It would not be hard to reinstate it for all if there was any fear of certain athletes being unfairly profiled.)

TBF I'm not convinced by this sort of carry on. The criteria for proving a participant's sex do need to be tightened up, we've known that for a couple of years now, but publicity-seeking pot-stirring from the IBA really doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope they offer money to all who lose at the Olympics to those two fighters, not just Carini

• Registered Users Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Janjaem Suwannapheng says she is ‘not afraid’ of Imane Khelif and insists they are ‘evenly matched’

Well you wouldn't expect the Thais to have an issue with 'gender fluidity'…

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭greyday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I'm sure you can provide a link to one of these accounts.

I'm afraid not. Twitter is hardly a reliable source and even if it was there is no mention of Caster Semenya there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah yes, the IBC. Suspended from the IOC in 2019, run by Russians who have an amazingly clean Olympic background. Oh, and the president of the IBC has a criminal background in extortion and battery.

Now the usual cranks have jumped on their bandwagon. Amazing how **** thick some people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Why don't the IOC call in a Doctor, have both boxers DNA mouth swabbed & sexed accordingly. Must be more than a few doctors knocking around Paris …

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well here is an extremely male presenting Semenya describing growing up with boys, playing all kids of sports with them and not with girls who are "soft". Notice how they aren't described as "the other girls" or similar.

The thing about using a boys name is in her autobiography and referenced in numerous articles. Also here is a photo of Caster wearing a boys uniform at school. It seems that Caster was accepted and viewed as a boy at least once puberty kicked in and it became apparent what the situation was.

• Advertisement

The only conclusion I can draw from that is that you have an issue with girls wearing trousers.

Both Khalief and Lin Yu-Ting very short odds on for gold, so I guess this story is set to overshadow the whole Olympics…

Sure I'm a woman wearing trousers today myself. No issue there. My issue is more that Semenya is a male person, fully aware for years that they are a male person and who doesnt seem to ever have thought they were actually a girl, except to compete against them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not much evidence these supposed biological males have a huge advantage over 'regular' females. Khelif has lost nine times to female opponents - that's a lot of defeats for an Olympic boxer (Kellie Harrington has scarcely lost a single fight in the last five or six years).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The point is that men should NOT be participating in women's sports, specially when it comes to competitions and winning medals. Currently we don't know for sure what the biological status is for the two boxers, but surely if there's any doubt about their biological makeup, then the IOC should err on the side of caution rather than fastrack them through the rounds and up to the top of the medal table 🏅

I blame Mark Adams & the IOC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They both would have medalled at the World Championships in 2023 if they hadn't been disqualified. Yo Ting would have won a bronze medal and Khelif was in the final when she was pulled. She beat Suwannapheng 5-0 in the SF in that comp and that's who she's fighting in the SF of the Olympics this time out.

They both medalled at the previous World Championship too so they are hot prospects.

Sorry I got confused, I thought you were asking about Imane Khelif. For Caster Semenya it's even simpler: when he appealed a ban after failing a sex test, that led to a judgment on his case which was (had to be) made public, and that made it clear that Semenya had XY chromosomes and a male-specific DSD known as 5-ARD which led him to have ambiguous genitalia at birth, but such children experience the normal surge of testosterone that male children have during puberty because their testicles, despite being undescended, are functional.

The reference to the CAS ruling is mentioned here (Sean Ingle is chief sports reporter for the Guardian, hardly a TERF bastion):

Here's a bit more detail, especially if you don't like twitter even from actual experts in the field!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the discussion is much more of a moral or ethical one rather than anything to do with these athletes supposedly having an advantage. It is noticeable that amateur female boxers never fail drugs tests for taking testosterone or other PEDs. An amateur female would receive very little advantage from taking testosterone or bulking up - it's all about skill with the hands, speed and being good on your feet in amateur boxing with only 3 x 3 minute rounds.

By all means ban 'biological males' from boxing, but it's certainly not because they have an advantage in the ring.

That Khelif has been beaten by a number of elite female boxers is probably the second-worst argument in favour of him being female (the worst being the one that goes if anyone voices suspicions about Khelif, they must necessarily think that Simone Biles or Serena Williams or some other black female athlete is also male. That's even worse because it's frankly racist as well as illogical).

Khelif is a good but not a great boxer and is capapble of being beaten by a certain number of great female boxers despite the unfair advantages conferred by his male body.

That's all that Khelif's previous defeats signify.

Here's Serena Williams talking about the differences between men's and women's tennis (where nobody gets punched in the head):

Could Serena Williams beat the average or even a good male tennis player? No doubt she could. But there is still an unfair advantage held by men which is independent of skill. And in combat sports, that is dangerous and any possible doubt cannot be ignored. A sex test is a simple matter. Women athletes wanted the sex test kept. Why was it thrown out by the IOC?

• Advertisement

Yes but they weren't blowing the rest of their fieklds away, as the bookies seem to anticipate them doing in Paris, and if both of them do that it'll surely heighten the cacophony around this story…

Advertisement