Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Having a height and reach advantage in boxing is an advantage and males are typical taller and have longer arms than females.

Having a smaller Q Angle, the angle of the femur, is more beneficial to athletic movement and males have smaller Q Angles than females.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It would help if you read posts before jumping in.

I'm fully aware of the Semenya situation. I have coached athletes to international level. What is your background in the sport?

I was responding to a post that was full of misinformation about Semenya's background.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But sheer physical strength does not give you a huge advantage in women's amateur boxing - this is not professional boxing where you have 12 rounds and one of the main aims is to try and knock out your opponent, knock them down several times or have the fight stopped.

It's obvious from much of the profoundly ignorant commentary on social media that the majority of people commenting there have never watched a women's amateur boxing bout in their lives. Amateur boxing is primarily about skills, ring craft, good footwork, clever defence, speed of thought and reaction etc….bulking up with testosterone would hardly improve a female amateur boxer to any degree (which is why we never hear of failed drugs tests with female amateurs).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

BOXING ROW @ THE PARIS OLYMPICS

The thoughts of Mara Yamauchi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I've played sport all my life, though never at elite level, and I'm a woman. I'm a scientist rather than a sportswoman though. What's your point?

Do you agree that someone with 46XY 5-ARD is male?

• Advertisement

I'm pretty certain they'll start pulling their punches a bit, if they've haven't already been doing so.

So why bother with male and female categories at all then? By that logic, shouldn't we just get rid of them and just use weight categories?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would have no issue at all if such athletes get excluded from the next Olympics (and world championships, European championships etc).

But the massive pile on against the two boxers from numerous bad actors on social media has been very unedifying to watch. The athletes haven't done anything wrong, such as cheating or taking drugs. They are not responsible for how the IOC governs its own competitions.

My point was pointing out the misinformation that was posted about a fellow human being.

When two DSD athletes played against Ireland in the Woman's World Cup where was this level of outrage?

• Advertisement

Right, I agree entirely.

The cause of this "pile-on" has been the refusal of the IOC to deal with the problem upstream, before the Games started.

The IOC first chose to remove sex testing, despite the fact that this was not what female athletes wanted, and to replace it by a mere document check. This would not be accepted to prove an absence of artificial testosterone, so why would it be enough to prove sex, when a simple test is available? Athletes are regularly expected to submit to far more intrusive testing for drugs and nobody complains about that.

Then, they refused to respond to concerns raised about these particular athletes, choosing to hide behind a claim that "our procedures have been followed". But their procedures are insufficient, and, given that it's a combat sport, such a dismissive attitude cannot be justified. There is a genuine doubt, which can be cleared up very quickly - that has to be done.

Anyone who defends maintaining the present situation of needless uncertainty risks making themselves complicit with male violence against women.

And now you've made that clear, do you have an opinion on whether there's a problem with a male fighting a female who has not consented to doing so?

Do you agree that it is essential to ensure that this does not happen - and that this must take precedence over any questions of the feelings of the fighter concerned?

The whole mess may not be Khelif's fault in any way at all, but that is neither here nor there.

I have not made any post about Khelif.

Yet again you are failing to read posts. You cannot expect to be taken seriously when you are only interested in putting your words in other people's mouths.

I didn't say you did. I'm asking you, since Khelif (and Lin) is the current subject of discussion here, not Semenya who is retired.

If you don't have an opinion on male boxers potentially fighting women, you're free to say so. Nobody is putting words in your mouth.

I responded to a post about Caster Semenya. Rather than reading that post you jumped in making assumptions. You have continued to do so. This is not a thread that is specific to Khelif and Lin. Attempting to impose your viewpoint on others does not reflect well on you.

LOL, what "viewpoint" am I putting into your mouth? On the contrary, I'm asking you what your opinion is.

But you seem determined to dance around to avoid expressing an opinion on what is, after all, a far more topical issue than Caster Semenya. You've explained your point about Semenya and that's fine. Do you have an opinion about Khelif and Lin and why they would be happy to make their "passport sex" publicly known, but have sent out legal notices preventing anyone from publishing their actual test results?

I mean, why, other than that this can only mean that the two results differ? Or do you have another suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't understand how the trans rights activists can say that this Khelif DSD controversy has nothing to do with the trans issue, you know because Khelif isn't trans.

In general if you are going to permit transwomen with XY chromosomes compete in women's sport then that policy would have to apply to everyone, i.e. including those with DSD's. If chromosomes don't matter for transwomen they why would they matter for those with DSD's. How could you have a policy where transwomen can compete with XY but those with XY DSD's can't.

Was that information made public at that time?

If not, how do you expect people to know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,391 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whether it's 5 or 5 or 9 year old is irrelevant. The claim was pre-pubertal children. 6 is simply mid range value.

You can't conflate HRT or other hormone supplementation with the above. People on HRT/TRT are directly taking the target hormone, it's pretty easy to target a physiological level.

it would be madness to have someone aiming for levels way below those of a female adult of the same age. 

How exactly do you think that aim for any level? Not sure if you misread the post, or just
    I highly doubt the claim is bullshit. It's not something I've looked into. But I imagine it's common knowledge medically.

But the argument is a false equivalence. They are trying to generalise all trans-athletes, into that group. which is dishonest at best.

• Advertisement

The reason I mentioned "aiming for a hormone level" is by analogy with thyroid hormone treatment, where there is definitely an attempt to bring, and the keep, the person's thyroid level up to the lowest possible level that is still within the "normal" range. Their thyroid level is closely monitored, and if it goes up a little, even if the person themselves feels better at that level, the doctor will insist on reducing the level for safety reasons.

Since artificial hormones like testosterone are also dangerous over the long term, I presume that blood levels are similarly monitored. I don't know that personally, but the person who posted that they had the levels of 6 year old is clearly implying that their levesl are monitored - how else would they know that?

(I agree with the main thrust of your post, BTW - so far as I can work out what it is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

For those following, the IBA have done a press conference which can be simply described as a trainwreck. Its a 2 hour nightmare of technical errors, the president going on long rants of how offensive the opening ceremony was to Christians and possibly (its a bit confusing as getting conflicting reports on it) they've suddenly backtracked on their previous statements as they now say one of the two tests (that they originally claimed both indicated the presence of XY) was actually inconsistent in its results.

Which as I was discussing earlier seems to go against their own statements at the time where they claimed that they got the results too late which is why they didnt act then:

"Mr. Yerolimpos confirmed that similar testing was conducted by a different independentlaboratory with the same athletes at the previous edition of the IBA Women’s World BoxingChampionships in Istanbul, Turkey in 2022. However, the results were received only upon conclusion of the event, hence the athletes were not disqualified back then."

https://www.iba.sport/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/BoD-meeting-minutes_New-Delhi_FV-approved.pdf

That could be them backtracking to cover why they let the boxers into the 2023 event even though they had every right to refuse on the matter of safety

The entire conference is 2 hours long, full of shouting and technical issues so its a difficult watch, but it's on their website if you want. Atm I'm waiting for other sites then the pay walled telegraph and daily mail to break it down (according to one report the BBC was particularly unhappy with the conference so curious what they will write)

On a funny note the IBA are also trying to pretend they had nothing to do with this, claiming no one was even talking about the issue until after the italian fight, except they put out a statement the day before the fight.

What was known? Khelif's sex? I thought that was still unconfirmed??

I saw a tweet from Amy Broadhurst, who beat Imane Khelif a few years ago, saying that if it turned out that Khelif was male, she (Amy) would be furious at having been put in a ring with her. If it wasn't known by the women fighting her, so how would the public know?

LOL I see you're still unwilling/unable to express an opinion on the new Domestic Violence Freestyle competition.

What has your comment got to do with anything I have posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

CHEEK SWAB

Once in a lifetime, denoting the DNA/Sex of any individual, and seeing as one cannot change sex, it is the ultimate & watertight test. Previously used up until & includin the Barcelona games of 1992.

My suspicion is that if the two boxers in question had been swabbed they would almost definitely be clasified as men. /he/him.

But we don't know for sure YET.

Oh I see your problem now. I wasn't commenting on what you posted, and haven't been for a numbr of posts now.

I've been asking you about your opinion as to whether there is any reason to think that maybe a simple document check is insufficient to ascertain whether a boxer belongs in the female category, given the risks to a female opponent in a combat sport.

If you have no opinion on the matter, you're free to say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

If their sex is still unconfirmed why do you constantly refer to them as male?

• Advertisement

I'm going to make this as easy as possible for you to follow

When two DSD athletes played against Ireland in the Woman's World Cup where was this level of outrage? Me

Was that information made public at that time?

If not, how do you expect people to know about it? You

It was known at the time. Me

What was known? Khelif's sex? I thought that was still unconfirmed??

I saw a tweet from Amy Broadhurst, who beat Imane Khelif a few years ago, saying that if it turned out that Khelif was male, she (Amy) would be furious at having been put in a ring with her. If it wasn't known by the women fighting her, so how would the public know? You

Advertisement