Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options
1146147148149150152»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Totally agree. I think people forget just how hard golf is. The label choker is thrown around in such a derogatory manner these days, and that's not even including the saddos who take pleasure in certain players failing, and not just in golf either. Just because someone doesn't win or a shot doesn't come off doesn't mean a choke. That's not to say pressure doesn't get to players, and they hit bad shots by being distracted, but ffs, there's a whole field of players who don't win each weak, are they all chokers ?

I mean, jeez, look at Jon Rahm and his finish. I'd say the bookies were nearly paying out when he had a 4 shot lead with a few holes to go. Or even Fleetwood, if ever there was a player who'll find a way not to win its usually him, even though he's one of the best in the world and would never be labelled a choker - remember how he closed out the Ryder Cup with that tee shot. Bad shots and bad breaks happen to good players.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

you can consider it whatever you want, it doesn’t make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭boardise

What do you mean 'meltdown' ? He was burning up the leaderboard with 5 consecutive birdies and boldly went for the low percentage shot to try to get another -the shot was only narrowly off target ..that doesn't constitute a meltdown. He could have played safe but he was going for the gold rather than par in and contend for a bronze.

If you want to talk meltdown -consider John Rahm -four shots clear to the final 6 holes and doesn't win squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,525 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You don't get money in the Olympics and all the best who qualified were there, just to win a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

He didn’t choke, anyone that says he did doesn’t understand what the definition of choking in sport is, however, comparing rallying with golf and “going for it” is ridiculous. Golf is largely about game management and knowing when to and when not to go for it, something McIlroy struggles with but that’s another discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭bren2001

That doesn't elevate it to a major.

Around 25 of the worlds top 50 were not there. It's a weak field. I'd imagine Scottie would trade his medal in the for PGA if he could.

As I said, youre heavily in the minority with this view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I don’t think the Olympics is equal to or greater than a major. But I’d love to ask each of the current OWGR top 10 would they rather a Players Championship or Olympic Gold medal.

I do agree that the field could be stronger but there has to be scope for that to change. They could also bring in a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭techdiver

I love the Olympics and golf is growing as a sport in it, but let's call a spade a spade. Any pro will take any of the majors over the Olympics every day. It might change in the future but as of now it's not even close.

I think the format should change to a team event which wpuld make it more interesting from an Olympics point if view in my opinion.

Agree totally. In my opinion for what it's worth ( i.e. nothing) I don't think Golf should be in the Olympics at all -nor tennis for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Legitimate question but I'm sorry it woud take too long to explain my thinking about it. As I said -my opinion is worth nothing…my explanation likewise and would convince no one. I have to be content with being a member of small maverick minorities -if not a downright lone wolf-on many matters sporting.

Golf in the Olympics ? -shur why not and maybe throw in Pitch and Putt while you're at it ? 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think it depends. If you're a pro and had won a number of majors, and maybe also very into country, then Olympic gold has a strong draw I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You and I would think so but there are many millions who never heard of the PGA or the US Open or any of the majors even, but they've all heard of the olympics

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement