Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

1575859606163»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I never read them when I was younger but have started dipping into them in recent months. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is my favourite so far. She was very ahead of her time and could write great arse holes. You're going through an entire family etc and all seem pretty capable of murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mentalload123

felt very similar feelings to this lady!! Ha ha breakdown. Relatable book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm reading Magic Study by Maria Snyder. Really enjoyed Poison Study before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭AMTE_21

Finished City in Ruins by Don Winslow. This was the third in a trilogy about the Italian and Irish mafia in Rhode Island. I really enjoyed all three. I’ve read a few of his books and they very enjoyable. Violent, but very good. Would recommend. He writes about police corruption, drug gangs and mafioso, so of course they are violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

I usually read one fiction and one non fiction and skip btween the two.

Currently

The catcher in the rye and Not in your lifetme by Anthony Summers.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,474 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Fire and Bones by Kathy Reichs

The 25th and newest book in the Temperance Brennan series. This book sees Tempe in Washington DC instead of her usual Charlotte or Quebec and solving the mystery of bodies found in arson related burnt down buildings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Lost Woods by Rachel Carson

A compilation of writings by the ecologist made mainly between the 1930s and 1960s, in it she talks about rewilding, humanity being disconnected from nature and destruction of environments driven by greed.

She is dead 60 years and sadly her writing is still relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I recently finished The Book of Ayn by Lexi Freiman, which is quite bonkers. It’s about a writer in the USA who gets “cancelled” (sort-of), has a midlife crisis (sort-of), gets heavily in to Ayn Rand (really), and goes on a bizarre journey that involves dog-walking, trying to write a animated sitcom about a sheep, toilet disasters, and an ego-killing hippie retreat on Lesvos, before coming to her senses (sort-of). I’m not Irish but still found myself saying “yer wan is an absolute weapon”.

Now reading Hitch-22, the autobiography of the late Christopher Hitchens. The guy had some vocabulary on him, in every sense of the word.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Daisy78

All My Friends Are Superheroes by Andrew Kaufman. Short and sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Thanks for recommending this. I just purchased the Book 1 today as it sounds like something I'd be really interested in.

I'm currently in the process of writing my first book and it centres around the Italian Mafia back in the 60's. I'm going to enjoy reading these books. I see that they are getting made into movies which I'm assuming will be a trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Has anyone read anything by Robert Crowmell? Would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭dee75

Just finished All The Colours of the Dark by Chris Whitaker and really liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

I Was There: Dispatches from a Life in Rock and Roll by Alan Edwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just finished Tom Holland’s Rubicon it’s really a timeline of events up to the end of the Roman Republic. Includes the stories of Caesar, Pompey, Cicero, Cato, Crassus and a number of others it’s ok as an overview or reference book.

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk.

This book is set in Istanbul in the late 16th century. It’s about a group of painters called miniaturists who are commissioned to draw a secret book for the Sultan, but they believe the drawings will be in the European style and show real likenesses of the Sultan which is against their religion. This leads them to suspicion of each other and eventually, murder. It was an interesting read. There was a lot of stories and legends which were a bit long winded and hard to get through, but it got better towards the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is very good but the Kindle version is plagued by weird title formatting and typos. Very insightful for anyone curious about international trade and how it works.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The Kon-Tiki Museum Guide

Picked this up when I visited said museum in Oslo. This guide gives a brief but nonetheless interesting overview of Thor Heyerdahl's ground breaking exploits across a long career.

Highlights include the infamous Kon-Tiki, Ra, Ra II and Tigris adventures to prove that ancient people's did have the seaworthy craft to travel further than first believed. He also excavated on Easter Island and was the first outsider to be granted access to secret family owned caves on the island.

Pictured below are the Kon-Tiki and Ra II rafts that are held in the Kon-Tiki Museum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Was only there a few weeks ago! Wonderful wee museum, I have to say.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Just ordered this on the advice of Mike McGlone, Bloomberg on a recent David Lin interview. https://youtu.be/5hleEr9oKA4?si=T7cOef5yOucQ9MAN

Apparently written in such a style as to make it 'reasonably' accessible. As we're at the end of 40+years of cheap money, I will take what insights I can from this.

The Price of Time: The Real Story of Interest

https://amzn.eu/d/3b7PBNB

Post edited by An Ri rua on

Emma Cline, The Guest. A light read, not much to it. Alex is a bit of a lost soul. She drifts through life, meeting up with men and trying to get as much as she can from them. She spends a month on Long Island with a guy she meets in a bar, but when she damages his car, and doesn’t tell him he tells her she can leave, but she’s nowhere to go, she left her flat in New York owing her flat mates back rent so she can’t go back there, so she hangs around the beach and tries to find somewhere to stay and someone to tie up with. That was about it really…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Have finished the first two books of the Wolf Hall series by the late Hilary Mantel. Its difficult to describe how brilliant this is.

The story of commoner Thomas Cromwell and his rise to Henry the Eight's right hand man. Complex, with a cast of dozens, and the the politics of succession to the crown, and Henry's break with Rome. Ah, I cant begin to encapsulate how good this is. Just read it, but be prepared to pause often, and side-reference wiki or Google about the people and politics of the period. Narrated from the POV of Cromwell.

Trust me. Its worth the effort.

Awaiting the last book; The Mirror and the Light from Amazonia on Monday. One of THE best series I have ever read thus far. Up there with Fitz and the Fool.

Also, polished off the final Ross O'Carroll Kelly book over the last two nights. Ended well, but Howard was right to call it a day.

The well was nearly empty. But he produced sometimes brilliant satire over the last 2 decades though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'm on the last one now (#27). Until she releases another in October. It's been good to see the character development as the series progressed. It has taken some reading!

I think next will be bingeing on Dave Robicheaux series or Temperance Brennan series.

I do like a good read !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Reading Babylon's Ashes, sixth book of the Expanse. This one does a lot of character jumping, largely works but can be jarring at times.

The Mad Ship by Robin Hobb

Book 2 of The Liveship Traders continues on after the seizure of the Liveship Vivacia from pirate Kennit in book 1.

Vivacia is smitten with Kennit and finally feels that someone desires her. Kyle Haven finally gets his comeuppance and Wintrow is free from his abusive father. Admittedly, from hating Malta in book 1 and up to half way through book 2, I am now invested in what happens to her.

We learn more about the Rain Wild Traders and wizardwood in book 2. The tension between the Satrapy reaches boiling point and we have Althea now on the trail of Vivacia, after enduring hardships to earn her ships docket and a complicated love triangle to navigate.

The Tomb: Ancient Egyptian Burial by Margaret Maitland

Gives a brief overview of the evolution of how the Ancient Egyptians buried their dead with accompanying images of artifacts found in tombs.

The Tattoo Murder by Akimitsu Takagi.

This is a murder mystery set in Japan in 1947. I’d watched Tokyo Vice and was intrigued by the gangsters and their full body tattoos. At this time tattoos were banned in Japan. It was about a family of three whose father was a brilliant tattoo artist and put full body tattoos on them. One of them is murdered and her body dismembered with the torso, that had the tattoos being removed from the scene. The detective and his younger brother, a doctor who knew the victim reach a dead end and cannot solve the case. Then a brilliant student of forensic medicine arrives back from the war to help them and of course his brilliant mind solved the case. It was an interesting read and gave some insight into the practice of full body tattoos.

Decided to read some of the books I picked up on my travels over to The National Museum of the Royal Navy and Portsmouth Historic Dockyard during the summer

The Mary Rose: Immersed Details the birth of Henry VIII's Mary Rose, how she was lost, the rediscovery of her and the raising and conservation of the starboard side. Really worth a visit if you like shipwrecks and very interesting to see the interior of the ship (they also have excellent projections showcasing who worked where on the ship) that you don't get with the Vasa in Stockholm.

HMS Victory Takes you through the era surrounding the life of the historic HMS Victory, the officers who captained her, to her role in the Battle of Trafalgar and the death of Nelson. Also details the damage done to her during WWII, the constant conservation required to maintain her and includes plenty of photographs.

HMS Warrior Looks at the pride of Queen Victoria's navy. Warrior was the first ironclad ship of the Royal Navy and she came into being as a result of the French designing the La Goire, which was the first seagoing ironclad ship, and thus made the Queen believe her navy was falling behind the French. The book looks at Warriors commissions, details her decks and gives an insight as to what life onboard was like for both officers and crew. Unfortunately for the Warrior, her innovative success was also her downfall as the British kept up the pace of developing new and more powerful battleships, she quickly became redundant and fell out of favour. The book then details her restoration to her original specs so that she can go on display as a floating museum.

HMS M.33 This book looks at the history the only surviving British ship from the Battle Gallipoli in WWI. The M.33 is a small ship in comparison to other Royal Navy vessels at the time and that was her advantage, she was faster and could get closer to banks to fire on targets or to monitor enemy movements. She had a small crew including a dog and was deemed a "lucky ship" as she suffered no casualties during the war. Like the books mentioned above, this one details the conservation efforts to get her to her current state as a museum.

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard Souvenir Guidebook This book gives a brief overview of all of the above vessels plus the only surviving WWII era British submarine, HMS Alliance, the first ever Royal Navy submarine, Holland 1, and the Explosion Museum of Naval Firepower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m after ordering Broken Archangel , the Tempestuous lives of Roger Casement by Roland Phillips . I’m slowly collecting books but I’ve yet to get proper reading glasses

And Do androids dream of electric sheep by Phillip K Dick

Post edited by cj maxx on

The Secret Archive by Oliver Harris.
    I enjoyed this spy thriller. It was about MI6 dirty tricks. They get business men and politicians in compromising positions on camera for leverage if needed in the future. But someone gets their hands on them and starts blackmailing. Elliot Kane set up these parties when he was in MI6 but has left the service, he goes back to in find out who is involved. I’ve ordered another of his books from the library, a great read.

• Advertisement
Advertisement