Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV for a family with 3 boys

• 05-08-2024 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking at dipping our feet into the water of EVs for the first time. I would bring it to work a couple of days (100km total) but generally it will be used for school drop offs. 3 booster seats in back essentially.

Our budget will be about 30k. Down to a few options but hoping people here with more knowledge could advise. Obviously we will be getting a used EV

Skoda Enyak

VW ID4 (though I've read the infotainment isn't great on the car. I'm a tech nerd so this would be important)

Hyundai Ioniq 5

MG EV5

Would love Tesla Model Y, but seems out of price range. Any time I see used ones, they are almost more than the cost of a new one!!

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,676 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well if you're into the tech then the Model Y is probably the only way to go. I'd say anyone asking for a near new price second hand is a dreamer, you can probably negotiate them down

The ID.4 has no Isofix in the middle seat and I heard if you're using 3 booster seats then you probably can't use any of the rear isofix points. In any case, the screen is fine once it's updated to version 3.2 but don't expect anything amazing

Enyaq is basically an ID.4 so same goes there

There's a 7 seater Citroen E-spacetourer which will definitely fit your needs, however I think only the 50kWh battery was available in RHD so range isn't going to win any awards. Also since there aren't many around it'll probably be more expensive second hand

If you're willing to wait the 7 seater ID.Buzz is coming out this year supposedly. It'll no doubt be expensive but there might be some deals next year when dealerships are trying to get rid of stock

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There should be no Model Y’s more expensive than a new one unless your looking at LR versions and comparing them to the RWD versions etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Sorry I explained it poorly. None of them seem to come close to my budget. Most are very high in the 30s unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

I’d say you’d pick up a Model Y privately for close to €30k soon. Just need to negotiate and wait for the right seller. Mostly dealers selling them at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

What's the warranty with Tesla? It worries me not to have a garage local to go to if any issues arise.

The warranty worries are pushing me a little to the Ioniq 5 because of the 7 year warranty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ranger comes to your house or work. 7 year general warranty is very appealing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭eagerv

Ioniq 5 has a general warranty of 5 years. I think Kia has 7 years. From our experience our Tesla has required the 4 year warranty a lot less than our Ioniq 5. (So far)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭fits

the early high spec ID.4 cars are great value. You could buy one still in warranty within your budget fairly easily.

Having driven both VW and Tesla EVs both have benefits and drawbacks. The interface and drive assist systems are much better in vw. Same goes for lights and wipers. Software better in Tesla. And it’s nice to have memory seats and driver profiles when swapping cars frequently. It’s probably down to personal preference in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭poker--addict

y should be fine with 3 boosters in back but wont be able to use an iso with 3, sadly, and yet to see an EV which can do 3 across including one iso

😎

• Advertisement
Advertisement