Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverter won't power on, fireman switch light flashing

Options
  • 05-08-2024 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭

System installed 2 years, saj inverter, projoy fireman switch.

A month ago the system stopped working, the breaker on the fuseboard did not trip. Off and on for the breaker had no effect. Got on to installer, they advised turning the rotary ac isolator next to inverter off and on, leaving it off a few minutes. This did work. heard the fireman switch activate

Gone again a few days ago and I've just noticed it this morning.

the same procedure has had no effect.

Fireman switch red light is flashing, and with switching on and off the ac, hearing nothing from the switch, which is different. Thinking this points to fireman switch fault, I guess it could be panels either.. dont know how smart that switch is.

Manual for the switch has no troubleshooting info. I've gotten on to the installer but with bank holiday expecting nothing today. Anyway wondering if anyone has had similar. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Likely the fireman switch has failed, I've heard of them failing before.

The light on mine is steady on, not flashing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

Takes a couple of seconds for the switch to reset as far as I know once it's power cycled. But sounds like there may be an issue with the switch....loose connection, faulty unit maybe.

Is there anything else between the AC board and fireman's switch, like an emergency stop button?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Gerry

There is a fairly normal looking switch with a light on it. Tried switching that off, makes no odds, and the projoy light keeps flashing either way. It also flashes with the ac isolator off. so it must be powered from the dc or has a backup battery. I see another thread here with a faulty projoy, they bypassed it to prove it, but need a special tool to get the connectors unplugged

No backup battery or dc power afaik, but could just be residual power from the power supply capacitors.

It is similar to a zone valve in a heating system, but it's a switch, power off it should whirr and then you'd hear the spring loaded switch open,

Does the same on turning on too, DC switches need to operate fast to prevent arcing

Yeah I'd expect it do that even with the panels faulty, and theres not a jig out of it. I don't know if anyone is going to recommend bypassing it but I know it isn't strictly necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭deezell

Projoy switch is an active switch, it disconnects panels during a power outage or if you disconnect the inverter. I'd imagine it should automatically reconnect the panels, but perhaps automatic reconnect wasn't configured, assuming its an option. The blinking light might the clue. The fact you can read logs means the inverter is booted up at control level using the incoming mains. You should be able to read the absence of DC panel voltage if the fireman switch has tripped and not reset.

• Administrators Posts: 377 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Random Renewables Thread.

Eventually came back on. The inverter shows grid faults from when it stopped producing power on Thursday, but I can't see any evidence of a power failure, the other inverter which is wired separately did not drop out at the same time. I will see what the installer says.

There's no configuration, you give it power it closes it's switch, remove power it opens it.

It sounds like a zone valve when operating (especially the whirr when it is turned off)

Will be no errors on the inverter, as all it's concerned is that it's dark and it has no power on the DC

The inverter dropped out several times on Thursday. It came back after about 15 minutes a few times and then stayed off. Each is logged as grid failure. No other errors. But the other pv system kept generating. as you can see from screenshot of HA. The times correspond exactly. I'm not sure if the fireman switch dropping out would be logged in this way.

To be clear earlier the inverter would not power on at all. no lights, nothing. I could not read logs until it came back.

As for connections I've poked with an insulated screwdriver the wires on the fusebox.. all seems ok.

I've read the projoy manual and it is useless, no troubleshooting section.

Thursday was a sunny day and I think something isnt happy under full load.

• Advertisement

Were you at home at that point (of grid failure)

Grid failure is the power going off, either an RCD trip or the whole power going off.

Was the power blinking?

I'll go look at mine later to make sure there's no buttons on the projoy, but could be the case of the power going on and off eventually killed it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bypass the Projoy, you don't need it, it is only required for grant purposes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

was not home, but there was no grid failure. other separate pv setup on other roof was producing all along.

Yeah I don't think the switch should be behaving in this way. I might see if I can trigger the issue by switching off the ac to the fireman switch and then see what the inverter logs

If there was no actual grid failure it could point towards a faulty connection on the AC, enough to cut out the power to the inverter and thus also the fireman switch.

Id make sure to mention that to the solar guys, I'd be having a look at the AC isolator and also all other connections.

Advertisement