Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭specialbyte

The report that picked the location of the depot west of Maynooth train station is dated July 2019:

https://www.dartplus.ie/getattachment/eac87ad7-b06d-4362-b260-2f52ed8f2cec/Annex-4-1B-Depot-Location-Assessment.pdf

If we look at the realistic options for siting the depot:

The deciding factor between Maynooth West and Hazelhatch West is a criteria known as "Short term impact on DART Expansion Programme"

IMHO the important part of the text for this criteria for Hazelhatch West is this section:

3. The 20km Kildare Line electrification is the most expensive radial line for early delivery but the service benefits are also high. However, the passenger demand for services may not materialise in the short term if land development is not completed;
    4. The Kildare Line will be capable of fully absorbing the planned early fleet deliveries. Early progression of the Kildare Line will impact the cashflow;
    5. Based on the current Working Timetable, electrification of the Kildare Line would displace 4 ICR/DMU trains which will be cascaded to other non-electrified lines. This is the lowest cascade effect which will provide the lowest passenger capacity benefits to the other lines.

Therefore, a depot at Hazelhatch would have some disadvantages to other options as it would negatively impact on the cashflow and the service levels delivered may not be utilised if future land development is delayed.

Essentially the depot was put in Maynooth over Hazelhatch because it was on the highest priority line to electrify. DART+ South West is already pretty expensive and tacking the depot onto that line would make it even more expensive. They were worried about the amount of money they'd get per year from NTA/Government for construction to pick the location – pretty short-sighted criteria for a 100-year depot investment. Now the whole DART+ programme is up in the air.

Pile on Irish Rail not having accurate flood data, finding out the flooding was more significant at the Maynooth depot site than expected, not reevaluating when discovering the flooding was more significant, not providing enough documentation about the depot in the original planning application, providing incorrect/contradictory information in 10 rounds of updated documents at the oral hearing over 3 days, losing the trust of the inspector and then ultimately getting rejected for planning.

There was a litany of mistakes that led Irish Rail to this point.

I'm really curious to see do they:

• Re-evalutate all potential depot locations and start this process from scratch
    • Move the depot out past Kilcock as having the depot out past the end of the DART service would be ideal
    • Re-submit for the same location, but with clearer documentation, more flood mitigation measures and stronger analysis about how not just their own depot won't flood but the changes they are proposing don't flood surrounding lands too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭josip

While the War of Independence was still ongoing? I know things take a long time in this country, but didn't realise it went back that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

If they're going to situate the depot beyond Kilcock then why not just bundle it in with the Kilcock Dart project and move that up the priority list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

That’s what I assume at this stage. Though they might not want to risk the depot getting slowed down by issues electrifying to Kilcock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is there enough land available for IÉ to build a new Dart+ depot west of Kilcock?

I would suspect that going from the AIRR which was published by the Government yesterday; IÉ could double track the line between Maynooth & Mullingar and than apply for the RO to build a new depot for the Dart+ trains somewhere along that stretch of track between now and 2030. That could put IÉ into a situation in a finding a sufficient site that would store and maintain the new fleet.

However if IÉ are looking for a 2km site which is needed to store and maintain those new Dart+ trains. Could this new depot in Kilcock be allowed to be split up into two parts like the depot in Fairview to allow it be built on the track between Maynooth & Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

In that original report was "Hazelhatch West" a vague location or a specific site? Now that South West is with ABP the depot plans aren't going to be factored into those costs specifically so that criteria should be different anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

West of Kilcock would require dealing with the issue that the existing Kilcock train station is built on the trackbed and will have to close for dual tracking. There isn't space to retain a twin track station on the site.

It has to be dealt with eventually, it may be dealt with in the DART+ Kilcock extension but I can see it being fudged there too. Its in a very good location for train users but a very poor location for train services!

The original, twin track station, was somewhat West of the town centre; further away from where recent housing developments have been.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

During the RO, they submitted a document about the flooding at Maynooth, they pointed out they found potential flooding at the Hazelhatch West too.

Though this felt more like they were trying to cover for the issues at Maynooth and say every location has some flooding, thus Maynooth location is okay.

I’m not sure how serious the flood risk at Hazelhatch is, on the flood maps website, it is quiet far from any rivers, etc. and their is no indication of flooding. I suspect if there is it is much less then Maynooth and perhaps more easily handled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It's a little tight, but I think you could fit in an offset platform at Kilcock. You'd need to move the canoe club though.

• Advertisement

Can't fit two tracks and the existing platform on the trackbed though. Its not just space for the opposite platform, its space for a 8 car 29k / 10 car new DART length platform on the existing platform side also.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VeryOwl

Typical botched embarrassing IE mess. The rail company "that can't do anything right".

Over a decade of messing around designing a basic railway upgrade and it's still beyond their capacity to deliver a basic functional design. What is the point in all these consultations, dragged out planning seminars, millions on consultants if a basic greenfield depot is beyond their capacity to design given a decade to do so.

DART "+" is now falling apart like everything IE touches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I had a look at the DART Expansion Depot Site Location Assessment. This looks to be the most revealing part to me;

The maintenance depot will be required to accommodate 240 EMU DART carriages at any given time and provide all maintenance functions to maintain a fleet of up to 600 EMU DART carriages.

A maintenance depot provides broad levels of intervention, based on the current DART fleet the requirements are:

i. Servicing, which includes

o scanning, analysis & telemetric reporting;

o train washing;

o replenishment of consumables (water, sand, etc)

o internal cleaning.

Servicing checks are envisaged every 48 hours at the depot and will keep an EMU out of revenue service for approximately 2 hours. Cleaning of units is carried out nightly.

ii. Running maintenance, which includes

o vehicle inspection and testing;

o replacement of consumable items (lighting tubes, brake pads etc); and

o minor & short duration mechanical servicing and lubricant top-ups.

Running maintenance works are envisaged every 30 days and on average will keep an EMU out of revenue service for approximately 6 hours

iii. Heavy maintenance, which includes

o mechanical and electrical repairs;

o major overhaul works; and

o crash repairs.

Heavy maintenance works are carried out over 2, 4, 8 and 16 year intervals and can vary between 2 days and 2 weeks in duration.

iv. Wheel turning on the wheel lathe

This can take approximately 10 hours per car. This occurs every 2 years on the current fleet but can vary due to many factors.

v. Unplanned maintenance, which can include

o replacement of failed components;

o fault finding;

o crash repairs;

o unplanned wheel turning due to component failure or degraded track conditions; and

o cleaning/repair following obstacle/animal strikes.

Seems a bit stupid to want a single location to "provide all maintenance functions to maintain a fleet of up to 600". Not sure if that includes "servicing", if it did it would require every unit going to the depot every second day. In any case, the requirement to provide such a level of service at one location meant the site had to be feckin huge;

In terms of depot scale, sites will be assessed with certain minimum thresholds. These thresholds are:

 Minimum site area – 20 hectares; and

 Minimum linear length off / parallel to operational line – 1.8km.

For comparison, the report says in relation to Heuston; "operational railway yard to the year of Heuston Station/Car Park comprises approximately 15 hectares" (the typo is from the report, not mine).

Finding a 20 hectares site beside a rail line is difficult enough, add in all the other requirements and they were only ever going to find one or two sites. They were going to have to pick the least worst option and try to make that work however they could. I suspect that is what happened with the application - they were so focused on their own made up criteria and not focused enough on wider issues.

I don't have much knowledge on this topic but it would seem to me that they need to move away from the giant, all-singing-all-dancing depot to a more decentralised approach. I would suggest Servicing and Running Maintenance could be spread around multiple locations, most likely some of the following; Fairview, Drogheda, Inchicore, Hazelhatch, Bray, East Wall Yard, somewhere around Maynooth.

Heavy maintenance, Wheel turning and Unplanned maintenance may all have to be centralised in one location. Given the infrequent nature of all of that, you wouldn't have a big number of units here at any one time so it shouldn't require such a massive site.

Given the level of design work already done at the site west of Maynooth, it would make sense to redesign that on a smaller scale, hopefully avoiding most of the flooding area. Any other site will take a long time of assessments and design before another application can be made. Before that however, they likely need to bash out another location assessment report.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Ireland trains

‘The Swiss didn't achieve their rail network with piecemeal plans. Neither can we' - Irish Rail boss on new 2050 vision - Business Post (link not working)

first 8 to 10 new dart trains to be operational by January 2026 - Jim Meade

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Crakepottle?

First trains should be arriving this September, followed shortly after by the battery packs. Ready for driver testing early next year, provided the company have drivers available to test them.

Not on the existing trackbed, no. Which is why I said the canoe club would have to move. 😂

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I really hate to say it, but in some ways I feel ABP might of helped us dodge a bullet here.

With such a large depot, you are really putting all your eggs in one basket. I'm sure one very large depot is great for efficiency, all the staff in the same location, but it would be a very big risk in terms of reliability of service.

Not only if the depot itself flooded, but the fact that the Maynooth Line East of the depot has had historical flooding that closed the line!

If that was to happen again and the majority of the fleet was in the depot, Dublin could be days without any (or extremely limited) DART service!

I'm not totally against the idea of one big depot, but if they do, they have to really make sure that there is no risk of it being cut off completely from the rest of the network.

The idea of connecting the two lines and putting the depot on or near that connection would certainly help mitigate such a risk.

But there's still nowhere to put the replacement for the existing platform. Canoe club would only be of use for an offset on the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Not matter when the depot is, there is always a single point of failure, if the is a "problem" just outside it

But Ideally the depot should be accesable from more that one line, one option would be in the link line between the Sligo and Cork lines, but we might not be able to wait for that.

Loads of land around the docks area, but i assume they want to build office/house there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume they need a depot of some description on each line, they don't want to have to take every train on the Maynooth line back to Hazelhatch at the end of each day. The coastal line has Fairview, Drogheda and Bray.

Where to the existing Maynooth line trains stable overnight? Connolly?

Land is just too valuable around the docks area. And not enough of it located together really.

North Wall due to get busier with planned loading of the IWT there, rather than down the docks, as well as a second train a few days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Assume so.

Last train to arrive in Maynooth always leaves asap anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is a difference between stabling points and depots. Trains don’t have to be serviced every day but rather on the basis of mileage travelled.

The ICRs have a single depot at Portlaoise for all exams but fuelling and watering between exams are carried out at other locations.

The 29000 fleet (it’s a common fleet across all Connolly routes) overnights at Drogheda depot, Dundalk, Connolly, Longford and Rosslare.

The DART fleet currently overnights at Fairview and Bray.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I wonder when a train overnights at somewhere like Longford, how does the driver get home after? By car, or is it tied to where the driver is from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They used to get a taxi back to base, which was actually cheaper than driving the train back, but I think they now based a driver there.

Last train to Maynooth goes back empty to Connolly.

There's depots in both Longford and Mullingar that operate those trains.

Not really. The existing platform stays where it is, as does the current running line. New double track beside the current one. New up platform offset further to the west if it needs to be.

• Advertisement

There is no space for a second running line with the existing layout, because the platform is built on where it once was.

I don’t think you’re hearing me. Change the layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The corridor is extremely narrow through there. At any point on the line, the space is only wide enough to have two tracks, or one platform and one track. What you cannot have is two tracks and a platform - there just isn't room.

I am

The existing platform is on the trackbed

The two track trackbed that abuts the canal

There is no space to put two tracks in without demolishing the existing platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭SeanW

I think the poster is suggesting taking space from other uses (e.g. the front car parking spaces) to build a new platform back from the existing one. I don't know if that is feasible, but it could allow a new track and platform to built, and a platform to built on the other side of the existing track. But then the local canoe club would have a problem.

They are, they explicitly state leaving the platform as it is.

Moving it inwards would require CPOing houses. Doable but likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Kilcock ideally needs a third platform for DARTs to terminate at. Just go west of the road bridge, plenty of space there. As I said before, that also opens the possibility of another station on the eastern side of the town.

Here you go. Two tracks and a second platform. More room than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Bodan

He might be under selling it as the plan back in January was to have 19 new trains in service by the end of 2025 and then the remaining 18 trains in 2026. These should free up ICR's with plans to introduce hourly services to Galway, Waterford and Sligo by early 2027.

Post edited by Bodan on

A photoshop job does not reflect reality.

There isn't space.

There isn't space for two tracks and the platform under the bridge, let alone your photoshopped two track and two platforms. And you have no access to the impossible second platform either.

• Advertisement

If space is that tight, an island platform, and a turnback siding just after the station is all that is needed.

I think you just aren't familiar with the station, and lack foresight.

I think you are relying on Google Maps and photoshop. And have never been to Kilcock; or have zero spatial ability - one or the other.

There's no space, your photoshops show you don't have any comprehension of what's required.

Further replies on this would be a waste of time and electrons, as you'll just hit photoshop again.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

From Google Street View it looks like the bridge at Kilkock station was 'relatively' recently rebuilt? There definitely appears to be space for a second track, but I can't comment on space for platforms. I got a train from there only once and I don't recall noticing lots of space.

I'm curious - if the bridge was indeed refurbished recently, were we so shortsighted not to leave space for a 2nd platform? Christ Almighty!...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Economics101

I think that it has been general policy to renew overbridges with room for double tracks where appropriate.

The trackbed was already double track, it always had been as the line was built as double track to Mullingar. All structures over the line are double track due to this. Many won't have the height for catenary, though.

It was singled in the 20s or 30s; with the single track slewed to somewhat in the middle of the trackbed.

Kilcock Station was built, completely new, on that site in the 1990s. It was built on the trackbed, going under the bridge.

The same had been done when Confey station was constructed in 1990 as a completely new station, with a single platform on the dual track trackbed. This had to be completely demolished to return the line to a dual alignment - as with Kilcock, the space does not exist to put two lines through without removing the platform that was built on the trackbed.

This shows the site, including a platform face, of the original Kilcock station. The track is too far from the platform, due to having been slewed to the centre.

Remove the existing platform, reinstate the second track, rebuild the two platforms to the west of the bridge. Canoe club not impacted. Would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Consonata

When will ground likely be broken on Dart+ West now it's approved? Even without the depot, stuff like Spencer Dock finally being built will be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Mid to late 2025. Could possibly be 2026 if tenderers aren't keen. The Spencer Dock package of works is complex in engineering terms. It's building a train station below the water table,something which hasn't been attempted in Ireland before.

The bridge works also involve some very sensitive heritage works, which might make contractors reluctant.

Then there's the Ashtown underpass including a new viaduct for the royal canal.

Altogether it's a complex job with many specialist requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Will the line be closed for any significant periods of time?

Advertisement