Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

And the Dane that hammered Nhat in the badminton won the final, beaten by the best anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Nice winner for Spain in the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭klr87

Axelsen was the defending champion from Tokyo, and before that won bronze in Rio. He's pretty much the best there is.

3-1 to France (Olise), surely all over now. Good advantage played by the ref. All 3 French goals by Crystal Palace players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭StevenToast

RTE are really desperately trying to pay the bills now....the level of ad breaking is borderline American...worse than ITV...

Really intrusive and infuriating....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭redarmy

Faith Kipyegon has won her appeal and been reinstated as the 5000m silver medallist

France vs Spain in the men's gold medal match on Saturday could be tasty. Actually, the bronze medal match on Friday could be good as well: Morocco vs Egypt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I know he might not have played for them yet, but Olise moved to Bayern Munich, shame as that Palace team were looking promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A bit crap for the italian who thought she had bronze for a few hrs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,497 ✭✭✭✭walshb

They were too quick to DQ Kipyegon

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭unichick

Damn missed the pole vault & been following Duplantis trying to break that record in the diamond leagues for a while. I’ll have to watch the replay shortly.

Diamond League is often on Virgin Media two I think it is. Will Dalton is a good commentator. And it’s on BBC also.

Dina Asher-Smith has always seemed a lovely lady to me but Gabi Thomas definitely was trying to wind her up at the end of the race & I could see Dina saying shut up to her & I’m no lip reading expert. Rob Heffernan said in studio Gabi was a killer & I’d say she takes no prisoners. She’ll stroll to the title no doubt but not as nice as she seems in Sprint. I’m loving Noah Lyles. I don’t know why he gets such bad press. He’s just trying to bring the sport forward. The elephant in the room is the drugs have made people not believe a lot of it isn’t real. Loved his interview with David Gillick.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Noahs coach is reasonably tainted from drugs scandals.

He arrived, post Bolt, and talked up a great race WR this and that, so his own hype train has been rolling around. Answering with Olympic Gold will have helped him. He's going out with a Jamaican sprinter and Noah has alluded to some issues in the Jamaican camp. He's certainly very outspoken and more so than most sprinters and that's saying a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Valerie Allman makes the Discus look like an extremely graceful event, she's great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Asher Smith came across really badly in that exchange. Tried to blank Thomas and seemed like a sore loser. When you've reached the conclusion that a high percentage of athletes are on something, it's easier to just enjoy it then and not take it too seriously. It's entertainment and that's why Lyles is great.

Very sad for Ciara. Making the final would have been tough even but this was likely her last Olympics. Hopefully she sticks around for a few more years and ends on a high.

I don't know much about Badminton but I do know that Axelsen has been the best player in the world for a few years now so that's no surprise he won the whole thing.

I always think its weird that Denmark are really good at badminton historically despite it being the other side of the world from the main hub of the game in East Asia and likewise Sweden are always really good at Table Tennis.

I assume Jan Ove Waldner is the reason for Sweden being so good at Table Tennis but I wonder why Denmark became a stronghold for Badminton.

I missed Duplantis getting the world record live because Eurosport cut off to do their daily round up show, can't understand why they could have delayed it by 15 minutes to show Duplantis attempt.

I think Rob was a bit out of order insinuating that about Gabby. He doesn't know anything about her and it was pure speculation.

Gabby did beat D.A in the London Diamond League when it looked like it was D.A to lose. She's also had the disappointment of the 100m. D.A is pissed. Probably because Gabby made it look easy. Zero instances of Gabby Thomas being a killer or engaging in call room games like Rob was implying.

And the nonsense train comes to an end

D.A Smith said good Job.

Its a part and parcel of sprints to go along and thank everyone if you come first in heat or semi. Its an athletics thing. 1st place will make their way around and say well done, good job or thank them. No harm is ever meant. Its good track etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭griffin100

Looking at the triathlon mixed relay swim the current is really strong and will have a big impact in the 10km open water swim as with a lapped course swimmers will have to deal with it on every lap. Swimmers were taking indirect routes today to minimise the impacts of the current. During the 10km no one is going to want to lead the pack into the current and allow others ride in their wake. That’s assuming it goes ahead, the water in the Seine looked like sewage today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭unichick

Just watched Mondo on Discovery plus play back. What a pleasure it was to watch it fully uninterrupted & for just €6.99!

Amazing to have a world & Olympic record of that quality. Such friendship between the pole vaulters. It’s lovely to see.

I do think there’s a lot of needle between Gabby Thomas & Dina Asher. But Gabby is nailed on for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,804 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users Posts: 38,593 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Looks like France are taking the gold in the men's surfing. Kauli Faast is a local Tahitian who knows these waves like the back of his hand and he's put up huge scores.

The women's is next with Brazilian Tatiana Weston Webb, her father is English, and USA's Caroline Marks. Both were brilliant in the semi-finals.

I never watched surfing before the other night but it's great. A tube, which is riding under the wave is a huge scoring move, riding up and down the wave with sharp turns is the other big move. You need at least one of those to win this event. I love the tube.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭klose

I’d say if she watched the replay for the DQ infringement she would have known herself it would be turned over and not got too carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

yes I believe you are correct. St Lucia has pushed us to number two - not sure why it’s missing from the table. Still amazing. 🤩

https://www.facebook.com/TravellingNorthernIrelandFlag

https://x.com/thefuffa/status/1820554821558247812?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭josip

Lovely morning here in Saint Denis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭josip

Sergey Bubka started that. He broke the world record 35 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Did anyone post an Irish participation list for today?

Advertisement