Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate about Irish culture

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

That is true, I heard a guy lately say the Guard who took his car off him for no insurance, apologized to him for taking it, he didn't even know the Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭seablue

Littering

Casual racism towards English people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭coolbeans

A truly fucked up culture in a so called police force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,075 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There is nothing wrong with a police Force that police by consent. What's easier for everyone, a guard who apologies and says 'sure what can I do' or a guard who shouts at ya and says' you broke the law asshole '

Always easier to catch bees with honey rather than vinegar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,231 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't hate it, but some people seem to know a lot about their neighbours. The "tight knit community, where everyone knows everyone elses business" syndrome. Or the Valley of the Squinting Windows.

Nobody ever tells me about Gardai apologising to them for enforcing the law. Or from another thread, multiple Gardai telling a poster that they are paying criminals for cheap TV. During the water charges debate, one poster knew what letters their neighbours were getting in the post. I wouldn't have a clue what letters anyone on my street are getting.

Sometimes I think these characters are on the wind up, and enjoy taking in gullible innocents.

• Advertisement

Didn't say there was. There's a culture in the AGS that is the problem. Apologising for enforcement is a step too far though. Way too far. Remember this is the country where a very decent man was called disgusting for being a whistle-blower by the head of AGS.. We should expect far higher standards and we don't get them. You may be fine with these low standards but I'm not. That's something I hate about irish culture.

So, what is the problem exactly? Individual Gardai, getting along with people and treating them like they are decent people?

Or management treatment of individual Gardai within the force? Because they are two very different things.

It's the culture so it transcends both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Decent people? the guy who told me the Guard took his car, said he pretended he had insurance. so the rest of us mugs pay insurance while he doesn't? that is not decent. neither are people who drive while using their phones and speeding.

Well, your opinion, is just that. Gardai treat most people like they are decent people, unless they prove otherwise.

• Advertisement

Can'targue with this. Driving without insurance is a massive eff you to everyone else. Not exactly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The practice of leaving Christmass decorations on buildings or in premises (turned off) all year round, it's crept in over the last decade or so and it looks tacky imv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

The suspicious looks you get as a "blow-in" when you enter the local pub… - especially in rural areas. Almost feels intimidating. Reminds of the scene in The Field when the American attends the hooley….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Having lived abroad and come back again I appreciate a lot of things about Ireland. Things I don't like though.

Bouncy Castle Catholics: People still hanging onto Catholic religion despite not really believing or practicing it or attending mass but they'll still get kids christened, and get communion etc

People still vote for Fianna Fail after Charlie Haughey and 2008 crash.

Driving:Poor standard as evidenced with how the majority of people think it's ok to drive in the middle lane of M50

Negativity:People like to run the country down, say it's a kip. Saying Dublin is a kip. Saying we have a third world health service. None of which is true.

Littering: Compared to other countries, Ireland seems really bad at this.

Virgin Media TV, Practically everything on it is rubbish daytime UK TV,

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭techman1

Parochialism

GAA obsession. People putting before everything else. People have left weddings etc to go train or play a match. FFS.

Yea it's crazy the hold gaa has for some people, fair enough if they are playing for county, but leaving a wedding that costs alot of money to go play a junior b match, the mind boggles. Its even more crazy that they don't even get paid for this . A polish guy said if that was in Poland where people were paying in to see a game but the players were not getting paid they would simply refuse to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,603 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the health service at the ‘point of delivery’ is generally good, especially from a patient perspective.

But the insane waiting lists and abject lack of attainable public physical rehabilitative treatments available to outpatients…. It’s pretty third world….I found out first hand.

In terms of waiting lists up to recently and I’d wager still… Ireland had / has the worst waiting lists in the entire EU….. no good if the people/treatments/procedures and facilities are very good, if you have to wait an inordinate period of time to get them…. Rehabilitative results are not only influenced by the quality of treatment but the speed at which it can be attained following the medical event / onset of illness…

Culturally we just especially if we haven’t had to really rely on it are.. “ are sure, same everywhere “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

So what's your point, you love litter because other places do it too?

Vienna, Zurich, Copenhagen, Helsinki are clean. Water fountains with drinking water so people don't carry plastic bottles around. Specific bins for pizza boxes so street bins don't get jammed, dog waste bags and bins provided along walking paths. Specific cigarette butt bins. A drive to keep the cities clean. Enforcement.

https://www.wien.gv.at/umwelt/ma48/service/publikationen/pdf/infoblatt-saubere-stadt-en.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

None of this will work unless the population have a decent attitude though. Or are fined properly for littering.

I think there are too many folk in Ireland with no civic pride and will chuck their rubbish at their arses the first chance they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

The cliquey element to the GAA - especially in rural communities. If you don't play or partake in any GAA activities, you're essentially a Pariah.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Every GAA interview/press conference " any given day" "physicality" "they are up for it" over and over again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Here it only really works in places that have a strong Tidy Towns ethos. There's usually a core of retirement age people around that keep the place in check.

Places that have young and/or transient populations who don't have a stake in the community don't have the time and/or don't care so much.

Villages and small to medium towns are best at this. Larger towns and cities not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

For a country that prides itself about its natural beauty ... people are incrediblely ignorant about nature. People don't know the difference between hares and rabbits; completely ignorant that a Buzzard is flying over their heads; could not tell a Jackdaw from a Rook; etc etc. And it's not just city people, country people are just as ignorant. We have a handful of Owl species, they could all be wiped out tomorrow, and it'd be a little story in the news, beneath some face paining story or something. I would say 50% of the country could not name the late late show owl's species, even though it's been there for decades.

We are so ignorant and uncaring, that if a bird is injured then there is one place it seems in the entire country to help that bird, even if it's a sea bird, and it's Kildare Animal Rescue. You would think an island nation would have some places specifically geared towards marine animals; and not funnel everything to a charity in land locked Kildare.

What a **** ignorant nature blind country we are. The only animals we care about are the ones we can make money off of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Poor driving is the biggest one for me and lack of enforcement.

The fines need to increase because the whole 3 year thing holding on to your points isn't working. Hit people where it hurts in their pocket. 160 for 3 points currently. It should be 320 for 6 and 940 for 9 points 1880 and a driving ban for 12.

That will lighten the foot of some **** speed demon that could wipe out some young family on the road in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Adults rightly have a choice, and they almost all choose to have nothing to do with it as soon as they leave school. But we still think it's OK to waste kids' limited time in school on it whether they or their parents want it or not.

We also like to think of ourselves as a technologically advanced country but spend more time teaching religion than science… and aren't even an associate member of CERN.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Part of my heritage? My city was founded by Vikings. Irish has never been the language of its people. You have an incredibly narrow-minded view of what it is to be Irish.

Another thing I hate about Irish culture - "Liking X makes me a better person / more Irish than you" or "If you don't like X then eff off out of the country"

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think thats less about irish culture and more 'why dont more people have an interest in the same things a me' to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yeah, it was a bit of an unedited rant. But I still stand over the spirit of it.

People who are Gaelgoirs often get very emotional when people dislike or are indifferent to Irish, resorting to a tirade of insults and questioning your nationality or why you live here at all.

They have a niche interest and get bent out shape when they encounter people don't have the same enthusiasm. I think if the emotion was taken out, there could finally be a grown up conversation about how well or otherwise the language is faring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah, there sometimes seems to be an exclusivism involved and purity test attached to it.

• Advertisement

And the pointy-headed element who go out of their way to condescendingly correct people trying to learn it, a real turn off.

Advertisement