Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The idea that a biological male would have some sort of massive inbuilt advantage over a female amateur boxer and even pose a physical threat to their health and safety is clearly nonsensical

Jesus f'in Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So much biology & biological talk in this thread, its like biology Central, with any talk of men or women needing to be supplemented with biology in case somebody might think a female is a male woman or whatever, can't people just say men & women anymore . . . .

Anyway, I'm sticking with men & women, seeing as I know what they are. I'm also married to a woman, a woman being an adult human female/ xx chromosomes.

… a man being the male of our species.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,400 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It is nothing to do with gender ideology. DSD refers to sex not gender.

I’m not sure why you think sex specific means only male. It doesn’t. It can happen with either sex, but each (or most) case(s) have a specific sex.

I picked up the DSD detail from Mara Yamauchi (See post #6875) where she talks very knowledgeably about the two boxers in question. The DSD info is within the first two mins of the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TheOneDon24

I always look at it this way, if we were out in the wild with no modern society would we have Transgender people? we would not therefor it is not natural but artificial side affect of modern culture.

Naturally there are 2 genders and those are permanent and assigned at birth.

With that said, i think Transgenders should be allowed to compete like anyone else but maybe have there own category for the sake of sport fairness to women born a woman.

Of course women who want to compete against men and transitioning that way should be allowed as they would be up against a massive disadvantage against life long biological males.

I definitely think woman born a woman should be given a say on this.

• Advertisement

Clearly someone that never boxed a day in there life lol The advantages are devastating and its across the board. To deny that is to completely deny reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Nature disagrees with you, both in homo sapiens and numerous other species.

Strength is absolutely a factor in boxing, from everything from taking a punch to giving one, I mean if its all so technical and strength doesnt matter lets let Anthony Joshua into woman's light weight boxing see what happens.

You would be see deaths, the strength of his punches and the power behind him would astronomical, his ability to walk thru there punches absolutely unphased would be ridiculous.

So yeah lets put to bed the "strength doesn't matter" it most certainly does obviously this is an extreme example to highlight the fact but the principles are the same in regards to a life long male transitioning.

Exactly, but all things being equal on the technical side the strength would be the deciding factor.

Why haven't we natural human Transgenders then why is it a chemical and surgical process why don't they naturally transition if that's what nature intended?

We are discussing humans here by the way i have no intention of going into a cross specie debate to try and pretend transgender in humans is natural it simply isn't.

This is a fact there is no known case of a human naturally without aid transforming into the opposite sex.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Strength is absolutely a factor in boxing, from everything from taking a punch to giving one,

I mean, Carini even said "I have never felt a punch like this" and some people are trying to argue strength isn't a factor here?

Honest to God like.

I honestly dont understand how its even debatable, its common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Are you confusing homosexuality with transgenderism? Homosexual behaviour exists in animals but transgender?? I think not.

Nikki Hiltz in the women's 1500m heats today, qualifying comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭plodder

Nikki Hiltz is female but identifies as trans and non-binary, neither of which has any relevance for sport. So, no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Which if course is true.

But it does ruin it for the people who think identity trumps everything as surely they shouldn't be in the women's race if they don't identify as female.

For example Layisha Clarendon plays in the WNBA (the W stands for womens) and identifies as non-binary (i.e. not a woman) , she's got loads of praise from the usual sources which is fair enough but the same people who argue if you identify as a woman it means you're a woman don't seem to have a problem with Layisha playing in the WNBA despite Layisha not identifying as a woman.

Logic doesn't come into it for a lot of people they just always go with the "favour to supposed minority/marginalised group" approach at all times irrespective of it being contradictory or lacking common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,857 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

How come Kellie Harrington and Amy Broadhust didn't feel the weight of her devastating punches when defeating her? In fact, Amy Broadhurst has been going out of her way this week to try and defend Khelif from the massive social media pile on against her.

Kellie Harrington didn't notice anything unusual about her at the last Olympics other than that she was lanky with a long reach and an awkward opponent to box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭Enduro

Can you explain to us why you think there are separate categories for male and female if (according to you) being male confers no advantages?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭greyday

If you dont get hit you dont feel the power, your assertion about strength not mattering in amateur boxing is absolute nonsense, it may not be as much a factor as technical ability but it is a big factor all the same.

Well exactly, her self proclaimed Transgend Non-binary title has no relevance whatsoever, and yet its all we hear about when her name is mentioned, always talking about representing "her trans community" in the games!

In actual fact she is just the same as the rest of the 1500m field in that she is a normal xx woman👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,857 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would have no problem at all if the IOC decide to ban Khelif and other 'biological males' from the next Olympics. But much of the commentary this week (including from the very worst people on social media) has been bordering on hysterical : "a man beating up women", "female boxers are at risk of serious injury" etc. To the best of our knowledge, Khelif has never injured anyone during an amateur bout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

i watched Kheilf against the Hungarian Hamori earlier in the tournament and simple jabs were rocking Hamori back and putting her off her rhythm allowing Khelif to follow up and score more points. It’s clear Kheilf’s power is a huge advantage.

Harrington and Broadhurst are superior technical boxers and were able to avoid and dominate. That doesn’t negate Kheilf’s unfair advantage.

Bottom line is that Khelif is a low level male boxer but is able to compete and win against elite women due to power and speed advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭plodder

Yes, and it's her choice to do that. Just like Kellie Harrington doesn't make a big deal (as far as I can tell) about her sexuality. It's horses for courses. Some of this stuff doesn't matter at all, but some of it does, big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Could you explain how it is "hysterical" to describe a person with XY chromosomes punching people with XX chromosomes as anything other than "a man beating up women"?

The IOC decided in 1999 - against the wishes of more than 80% of the female athletes asked about it - to remove eligibility tests for the female category, and to accept a mere inspection of documents instead. FINA and several other world governing bodies have reinstated sex tests. There's a very simple, sensible reason for that.

All due respect you know very little about boxing or fighting if you think there is no advantage to males, there is significant advantage and there is a reason testosterones is used by cheats.

Who do you think would win between the average male on the street and the average female? 9.9/10 the male wins and easily at that because they have a significant strength/speed/aggression advantage because they are biologically male.

To say its a level playing field between men and women is utterly crazy and completely at odds with reality its simply factually not true.

The IOC seems to think the passport is the get out of jail card when in fact it at the very least shows how little they care for womens sport.

Thats not hysteria its a fact, it is a man beating up a woman, but certain sections of our society want to pretend thats not the reality, but in boxing that very dangerous its not a sport thats played and those sort of advantages will eventually lead to someone getting badly hurt its simply not a level playing field.

Men should not be competing against women in boxing end of story what ever your gender is at birth should determine the gender you can box as simple as that what ever about running and other sports boxing should have 0 tolerance towards this.

Its very unfair on woman from birth competing.

Cant do that as mistakes happen with children with DSD which only become obvious when kids hit teenage years.

If it went as you said then there would be no issue with Khelif as she was observed to be female at birth as children suffering with certain forms of DSD can be even though they have internal testes which becomes more obvious the older they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Another huge advantage of these ‘XY’ boxers is not having to go through their ‘time of the month’. I think that is being overlooked in these conversations. It’s even more true for boxers than other sports as not only do they have to compete in tournament that last weeks but also have to weigh in on fight day for every single fight or the competition.

Advertisement