Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

So over the last 20 years all you really have to show is a couple of selected cases?

Nothing whatsoever then to show that IPAs are really just normal people, some good, some bad?

But still it's ok to throw around terms like 'bogus' and 'illegal' while criticizing others for their inflammatory speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

They are just two cases that come to mind.

I have seen hundreds of news articles over the years, all confirming that AS are making bogus claims.

I should have collected them all.

The word "bogus" is not provocative, it is accurate. Sure the Ministers themselves have stated that the majority of AS are not genuine.

I don't make or turn a person into a criminal, they do it themselves. The AS who discard their documents choose to become illegal immigrants by deliberately doing that.

Describing them as "illegal" is thus accurate.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/85-of-asylum-seekers-arrive-at-dublin-airport-without-identity-documents-1646914

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭rgossip30

71,930 acording to the CSO have no nationality thats normal !! .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Some nice lads out there protesting and keeping us safe from unvetted males.

https://twitter.com/GiovaniChi19/status/1820224030621774257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1820379406868640092%7Ctwgr%5Edfdff3490d25d86c2599ced701a10cfc13200843%7Ctwcon%5Es2_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theforum365.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fgiovanichi19%2Fstatus%2F1820379406868640092%3Fs%3D4626t%3DQ0JwpFloCOPTh9riM3prlA

1. So it transpires that the racist squad in Belfast yesterday are none other than loyalist paramilitaries and a couple of goons from dublin/dundalk. The chief man from the Coolock crowd you'll be surprised to know is Joe O'reilly, a convicted pedophile who prayed on his own kids

• Advertisement

Is it?

What are the figures from other countries and do they use the same data collection methods as the CSO?

And if you read what you shared it describes no-nationality as included those who didn't complete that section. I'm open to correction but isn't that just people who didn't fill out the form properly?

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭riddles

People are making big money off this it’s now an industry and won’t stop anytime soon.We don’t have an immigration policy beyond open doors. Simon came in like Mr. Busy but is now Mr. Anonymous churning out the tunes of DJ Spin - interesting times ahead. The chickens are coming home to roost at a rather alarming speed.

First off, these 'hundreds of cases' you've seen would only represent a tiny minority of the 140,000 you say have claimed protection in this time. So that's all but zero evidence in itself.

On your next claim, no minister, said any amount of IPAs were not genuine. I believe O'Gorman said 60% didn't not meet the criteria in one year. Not meeting the criteria does not equate to a claim being disingenuous unless you can demonstrate how the minister was attaching some special meaning to the phrase?

On top of that, even if that figure accurately reflected 'bogus' cases it would still leave 56,000 genuine cases in this period. That's 56,000 people who have likely come through horrors you or I can't imagine, only to be labelled as fake or fraudulent, with no justification whatsoever, while trying to get on with their lives.

You say your claim is accurate, then provide some actual facts to support it, otherwise it amounts to nothing more than hatemongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

whether intentional or not this is classic far right wing fear mongering. Telling people to be afraid of something that hasn’t even happened and that the “entitled undocumented” will be to blame when it does and rioting far worse than what’s happening now in the UK will be the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Damien360

You are playing a blinder claiming everyone that doesn't agree with you is far right/racist. Classic tactic we have had on this thread for months on end. You are just the latest drone to shout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

sorry if I’m interrupting your echo chamber. What you said was fear mongering based off your own projections without fact. You used violent rhetoric and clearly put the blame on immigrants. At least own your nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

The West has wealth, a welfare state, and is bound by various obligations to accept people in… is it any wonder people are taking advantage of that situation? If I were from a poor country, I know I would jump at the chance at a better life.

Our policies and good nature are being exploited.

House The Asylum Seekers and those who are Mass Migrating in affluent areas, and we'll soon see how quick those areas show their 'Not In My Back Yard' nature, as it is they are being hoisted into poor areas, that are already struggling. This is just throwing fuel onto the fire, and wondering why it has turned into an inferno.

Post edited by 2Greyfoxes on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Just an observation but media seem to have changed term for people from the middle east to Asian people.

And then.

Like those in areas such as Blackrock?

https://blackrock.ie/blackrock-business-community-newsletter-november-2023/

Blackrock is looking forward to welcoming new neighbours to Frascati Road housing over the coming weeks.  Blackrock Hall and the former Zurich House have been upgraded to provide accommodation for people seeking asylum in Ireland, as part of the Government’s International Protection Accommodation Service (IPAS).   The buildings have been fitted out to suit a mixture of families and single people, and include self catering facilities.  A maximum of 350 people could be accommodated here over time, and people will begin to move in gradually from early November.

People arriving into Ireland seeking asylum, are often highly skilled and highly educated.  Anybody can apply for permission to work after 5 months of being in the country.  Many of those who will be coming to Blackrock will have been here for a number of months and will soon be available for work and some will already be working.

A range of services and activities will be made available for the residents.  There are also a number of local sports clubs, organisations, and businesses that are keen to welcome our new neighbours and have offered assistance and services.

Blackrock is already a wonderfully diverse community.  Our seaside location, vibrant village, extensive parks and excellent public transport links combine to make this an excellent place to live.   We hope you will join us in extending a huge Céad Míle Fáilte to our newest neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭creeper1

That link about blackrock dates back to 2023.

I assume no IPAs ever went in. If they did I never heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

A quick google search throws up only news stories from that time and 1 post om Reddit from a guy saying it is up and running ….or maybe Blackrock folk do alot for charity without wanting anyone to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,644 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It won't work where you have a majority of idiots.

There is no issue in my town and we have loads of people from different places. We all get along, there's a couple of idiots in our town but they get put in their place.

Education on racism is very important. I don't know if they have it in schools today but if not they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

The big question is whether the Ulster unionists consider the Irish nationalists or the refugees/immigrants to be the bigger threat to their way of life in Northern Ireland. If the latter, then I can definitely see the two sides putting their historic differences aside and temporarily cooperating with each other to get the refugees and immigrants out of Northern Ireland. Because there is certainly a faction of Irish nationalists who are willing to fight against the refugees/immigrants as we saw earlier this year, and they can't really ignore what's going on in Northern Ireland so long as they care about immigration and there is still an open border with Northern Ireland allowing for said refugees and immigrants to travel through the border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭boetstark

What part is fear mongering.

We may be facing a global recession

Possibility of fdi tax take taking a hit

The hilarious part of your post is you are like a computer generated message , far right far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Perhaps you need to change the sources where you get your information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭prunudo

People arriving into Ireland seeking asylum, are often highly skilled and highly educated. Anybody can apply for permission to work after 5 months of being in the country

If they are highly skilled, then they should be entering the country through the legitimate work visa system and not abusing the asylum process.

These same people have passed through multiple safe countries, people who we have no idea who they really are, and we are to presume they are being genuine about their education achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

At the current rate Britain is going to take in 7 million in the next decade. It will need a new London to accommodate them, where will that London go?

How will that globally significant building project be managed, financed and actually achieved. It won't .

We have mobs of hundreds going around Bolton screaming Allah hu Akbar, beating English people at random and vice versa, now add In millions more.

The problem for the progressives and activists is that there are an awful lot more working class people than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yes, it's rather easy for people divided by hate to subsequently become united in hate when there is someone else to hate more. I suspect however that this unity would be tested pretty hard when it comes to the border though ....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You will always see some commonality among working class groups when it comes to pushing back against free market extremism, especially when it hits them the hardest.

It's actually quite common in real life. You'll have differing groups that share ground on one issue and deeply opposed each other on another, same with people, within political parties etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'm just going to try to dumb this right down as to the reason the majority of the country's population are unhappy with the situation, as seen in so many polls over the last two years which consistently give an avg of 75% of people having a problem with it.

In one simple sentence:

Ireland (and by extension it's people) is being grossly abused by thousands of people who are not genuine asylum seekers

It really is as simple as that - Every subsequent discussion point, of which there are many, stems from the results of that statement

People don't like being taken for a ride and make no mistake, that's what's happening - Y'know the way you'd feel if you were lining your car up to reverse into a parking spot and some ***t nips into the spot before you when you were obviously there first - well that's the way the Irish people are feeling right now. Many a car door got keyed by very reasonable people over the years for that craic - (there are other examples I could use, but you know what I mean)

Back to that simple sentence/statement above - As this is happening, the Govt gaslight you for over two years telling you 'you're a big racist' aided by a MS media that would struggle to find a micro testicle between them. Then you find a thread on a site where other reasonable people are discussing this blatant abuse of the asylum system and you feel you are not alone, you aren't going mad and you feel slightly calmer - This thread then attracts people that don't/won't see a problem and they tell you all we need to do is to build more houses for these asylum system abusers and again imply that you're likely a big racist too. Well, there goes that calm feeling you enjoyed for a while eh

There were minimal issues regarding immigration by a huge majority of the population pre the last few years - The Govt and media are at fault here, nobody else - Ireland was a very welcoming country but due to gross Govt incompetence, not now. Never, ever underestimate the role our media have played in this shambles. They should have asked the most basic of questions and kept asking them and reporting on these issues:

Why is the Govt sending out tweets in multiple languages telling everyone of our new and improved refugee policies?

Why did you pay the highest s/w rate of any EU country to UA refugees?

Why did you allow 10's of thousands of secondary movements of UA from other safe countries at a cost of hundreds of millions of €'s when you had no obligation to do so?

Why did the media give super-soft interviews to O'Gorman - Why did they constantly accept that ROG was never available for live on-air debates?

Although we did indeed see Sarah McInerney metaphorically remove Rodders spleen live on-air as she filed her nails - Nothing too damaging re the shambles though, she was let flex her skills just a tiny bit - This coincidently happened approx 10 days before the massive bailout was announced - I thought it may have been a warning shot, but what would I know about such things

The Govt were/are basically operating with impunity - If the media had done their job 2 years ago, I guarantee you, we would be in a vastly different place right now - Gript (small as they are) are doing that job and the Govt don't like it one bit. You just have to look at the Gript thread to see that. Literally all they have is playing the man (gript) and not the ball (the articles) - The more left leaning people are bitching about Gript without even realising they're doing the Govt's bidding (or maybe they do)

I can think of 725m reasons why RTE would be onboard with everything the Govt does. It's not quite as clear-cut when it comes to the other media outlets and what they get in return, although I have noticed an increase in 'Brought to you by the Govt of Ire' ads on Newstalk etc - Pat Kenny and Barry Whyte used to do some great reports on the asylum shambles, but not anymore sadly as it looks like they were knobbled

We've met some interesting and colourful characters over the last couple of years both on and off these threads - We've met the likes of St Olivia of Canal as her search for a man continues, mad Bernie 'only one toilet!' lady and her deportation dodging Sierra Leone partner - We've heard of the lady from South Africa that had to come to Ireland for asylum as her hubby was giving her a few slaps - We were told here that if we stopped letting these asylum abusers into the country we need to start shutting hospitals! Gas. We've also had the pleasure of being lectured to by the goddess Catherine Day as she told us to do more (from her enormous mansion), All hail Catherine Day

We've listened to the NGO heads talk about our new friends arriving escaping from torture, persecution, raging wars, the horrors of 1cm deep potholes and bland food as we tried to stifle our giggles

Finally, we regularly hear from our Govt supporting friends (cunningly disguised as pearl clutching do-gooders) in damage limitation mode. They're tremendous fun in fairness

Advertisement