Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's a mad day here in NCD.

Absolutely roasting so kids happy in tshirts and shorts but we have had loads of rain showers aswell so we need the light raincoats even though we are sweating in them😁

You know its an Irish Bank Holiday weekend when your sheltering under a tree from the rain with your ice creams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

honestly reading the weather reports from home and trying to equate it with people saying it feels like the Med when you are actually in the med is hillarious.

In the actual med there are no clouds no rain no showers no wind just glorious sunshine gentle breeze gin blue skies and temps in the high 20s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A significant difference from previous past poor summers in recent memory to 2024 is that this summer has primarily been +NAO driven since mid-June. Recent days have seen it go more negative though. This has meant that whilst there has been no Greenland blocking to drive the jet stream a long way southward, the wind direction has primarily been northwesterly. It's kind of similar to how winters like 2014-15 and 2017-18 had a very +NAO index but were northwesterly and not all that mild, even below average in some cases. If there was ever any confirmation needed, +NAO is not a guarantee to getting a good summer in Ireland. 1972, which included the coldest June on record for many, was also +NAO.

After June, summer 2023 was dominated by a -NAO regime and a southerly tracking jet stream. This brought the Atlantic onslaught at full speed to Ireland with all of the weather fronts combined with well above average sea surface temperatures was a recipe for rain, rain, rain. Another effect of it was how Iceland had its sunniest July on record where the high pressure system was much for the month whilst we were getting deluge after deluge.

Several summers from the infamous 2007-12 period were identical to that outlined for 2023 above - most notably 2007, 2008 and 2012. 2009 and 2010 were mixed. August 2009 had an atmospheric river pattern with moisture fed southwesterly winds (leading to a stark west-east split where parts of the east had a drier than average month but it was exceptionally wet in the west) whilst July 2009 was very convective with low pressure consistently over the country. July 2010 was very unsettled whilst June 2010 was warm and dry. August 2010 was unusual with a persistent arctic maritime regime where Ireland was often sunny and dry with suppressed temperatures whilst England & Wales had one of their cloudiest Augusts on record and a fair amount of rain. 2011 was the coldest summer of the century so far and by no means was it settled but much of its rain tended to come in small amounts.

Look at the difference in height anomalies over Greenland between 2007-12 + 2023 (first chart) & 2024 (second chart) to date. Very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Today felt so warm yet it only reached 20c. The weather has been so overcast and temperate this summer up here than 20c felt roasting in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Kutebride

.....and the rain stopped late in to the evening and now for a pretty impressive sunset off in the distance despite the heavy sky not ever clearing.

17⁰ Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

It turned out to be an ok enough weekend in Tralee. Drier and warmer than expected and that is certainly a bonus. But absolutely nothing to get carried away about either and the few days last week were a lot nicer. Last week I was going about in shorts, sandals and t-shirt, this week it's jeans, runners and t-shirt. These past few weeks have averaged out as quite good overall for Ireland, but certainly nothing great and certainly no Med here in the land of the angry Atlantic or indeed the land of eternal autumn. 2024 will be a fairly forgettable summer, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mykrodot

a stunning day in Dingle, compared to an awful one in Cahirsiveen yesterday! Hiking around Annascaul lake and Caherconree and a swim at Inch Beach this evening, water temperatures are very warm now. It was beautiful sunny evening on the beach, lots of parents, kids, surfers out (I didn't photograph them). One thing this Summer has taught me is to take each good day when it comes, I'd prefer this weather anyday to European heatwaves. Bliss.

Oh wow amazing pictures, it was very warm in Dublin today but pure muck with rain and grey skies but we still made the most of it and had a nice few hours out in the park in raincoats😃.

As you said Mykrodot, you have to make the most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭pauldry

I was in Shannon at weekend and apart from some very light showers on Saturday I saw no rain at the weekend as it rained Sunday night while I was asleep and then cloudy to sunny returning to Sligo. 28.8mm on the rain gauge though. There was 2.3mm when I left Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭OldRio

In this part of the world last weekend consisted of, rain on Friday, Saturday Sunday and Monday morning. Sunshine on Monday after about 3pm. Dreadful.

Nice morning, 12C and some Sun. Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Great start to the day in south Dublin.
    White clouds in the sky (makes a change to grey) surrounded by a light blue sky.
    Nice bit of heat as well.

Anyone know what tomorrow will bring in the punchestown/Naas area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Should be nice - warm and dry, sun more likely further east (due to Wicklow mountain lee effect) but it could be sunny pretty much anywhere on the day if we are lucky

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭ascophyllum

Quite windy and some big heavy showers, last one almost haily, in West Mayo. Not sure of the temp but it feels very cool, jacket and hat needed working outside. We haven't had 2 good days in a row since the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Lovely morning in Celbridge, bright and dry, with some sunshine. Dark clouds arriving now and a strong breeze picking up.

Yesterday was one of the most miserable days in memory. Rained all day until 9pm, grey, depressing.

Its certainly got fairly windy today.

Lashed rain there for about 10mins with some heavy gusts.
    Suns back out now in south Dublin now.
    Wouldn’t be surprised if my lightning tracker app starts buzzing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

After a fine day, brief but heavy shower in Greystones. Dropped 3.0mm. 16.7c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Plenty of heavy showers today but most were short lived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭pad199207

Managed to stay dry here today in N Kildare for once

• Advertisement

arrived home last night. Was pretty dark at 9:30 with a temperature of 14 degrees. This morning though 😩grey slate, breeze, drizzle, so dull and dreary. The temp seems about the same as last night. Some empty pots blown over in the garden, flowers in the pots look like they’ve taken a fairly severe hammering and look bet down and miserable and soil is damp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wicklow mountains doing their thing on the east coast this morning

Outside here:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Welcome back Kanye to a grey, cool, miserable dump 😍

Drizzle this morning for my run. 11C. Dark grey sky.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Is there no MT forecast for today?

Raining here all morning, that was not forecast, today was meant to be the dry day and rain tomorrow.

Met Eireann wrong again, what's new.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Robwindstorm

just thinking that myself, hope all is OK with him. Very autumnal feel today, not as sunny as forecast here yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

It does very autumnal actually. I have the Gilet on around the house today. Can't get the heat in to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Windy, drizzly, cool in Celbridge. This rain was not expected! The wind is really starting to irritate me, never seems to stop.

• Advertisement

Jesus the wind WTAF like! I was expecting it to be “mild” also. It’s not.

Advertisement