Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He is not within several parsecs of being Johnny Sexton. It's not even a good comparator on style.

Frawley's judgement and organising of the backline I would rate quite poorly to be honest. He takes the ball on himself far too often and frequently doesn't pick the right plays. However, it works well when he comes on to attack defences off the subs bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭conquestscarer

They slid off him every time he had the ball reduced the chance of us having an overlap.

Look at these stats, the next worst at carries per 80, outhalf carries the ball 50% more than Byrne does(Libbok at 6 to 4), and other limited outhalfs like Pollard carry the ball twice as many times a game as Byrne does.

It needs to be acknowledged that he is the worst ball carrying 10 in club rugby at the moment and that is a serious limitation. If it was even at the 30th percentile I don't think this would be a problem.

https://x.com/HuwGriffinRugby/status/1796091866661699612?t=b7JzFQo8imOxvUTCRm94JQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Are you willingly disregarding my point that I'm referring to Frawley? Or are you just arguing for the sake of it?

My initial point on Frawley is as a 10 option at the moment, recent history suggests he is more suited to a bench option.

His recent accolades at 10 point to a player who can perform under pressure and change the pace of a game.

I say this in adding to the discussion that people want to see him more at 10. That would be great but I haven't seen enough consistently that he's a starter.

In pointing to you saying he was "good" other than "brilliant". Fine. Have those semantics if you want. I feel like you're arguing with someone who has the same point of view as you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I honestly don’t think we learned much about any of them last season. Too much chopping and changing in selection, too much inconsistency from the players, very few standout performances.

Hopefully we see one of them stake a real claim this season, whoever it may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

Unfair to compare him to much beyond Sexton's first few appearances off the bench, and in that regard he compares favourably. Sexton shot the lights out in the second half against Northampton and his legend was born but his performances for Ireland initially were better than fading ROG with very few mistakes and good decisions but he was not BB or Maradonna. His reputation is around consistency and the incredible decision maker he became, but hind sighting that back onto is earliest appearances is unfair to any other new comer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Opps manager leaving after 20 odd years for anyone interested lads.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/governance/staff-careers/job-opportunities/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Frawley hasn't made many starts at ten. Some of that is because of injuries others because he was number 3 or number 4 at Leinster

Carrying he is better than both Byrne's.

Tackling he is better than both the Byrne's.

Drop goals better than both the Byrne's

Passing, there is not much difference. Ross is very easy to read who he is passing to, Harry sometimes throws a hail Mary but overall there isn't much difference

Standing flat, him and harry are better than Riss.

Cross field kicks, Riss is probably better .

Game management, Ross is way better than Harry and we haven't seen enough of Frawiey starting to know. This is where gametime is preventing us knowing if this guy is world class or not.

He needs at least 12 starts before six nations. I'd prefer that to happen and for Prendo to be the bench player

Frawley doesn't bear comparison to Sexton at all, one way or another. Sexton came onto the scene playing 16 matches in the successful 07-08 Magners League campaign, pushing Contepomi out ot 12 for much of it. He was a fairly classic, controlling 10 at the time, but displayed far more game management than Frawley has ever shown to this point (not that he has had the chance to much). Frawley's biggest failing was from the get go Sexton's biggest strength - it is not a good comparison whatsoever.

To be fair, he did make a decent number of starts in the 2018-2020 seasons. And the coaches decided that it wasn't the position for him.

Obviously things have changed since and Farrell, who seems to have an excellent eye for talent, thinks he is worth a shot there but at least on this one I tend to think the Leinster coaches got it right. I suppose time will tell, but I'd much rather Leinster went all in for Prendergast than Frawley this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

One thing we can't really judge its his game management given how few minutes he has at ten. We know he can kick, he has a good pass, plays with a lot of confidence, and takes on responsibility when it matters. If he gets the opportunity to show he can steer defences around the field and make good calls then we can compare him to anyone. Comparing him to Sexton is pretty standard, they play for the same team with many of the same players and Sxton is the contemporary template for how both these teams play. He's better than the Byrnes on the small amount of evidence we have. Unfortunately I doubt Leo will back him at ten so we may never find out unless Farrell decides to have him as a dedicated backup to Crowley and see which one of them manages to claim the shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

It will be exetremely hard for Leo to ignore him when Farrell is picking him at 10 for Ireland as backup to JC which seems very likely after the South Africa tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I had this debate several times back then as well. That was influenced by us having no obvious cover for 12 and the byrnes not being able to play in any other position. So trying to think squad first - it was also in the time when Mr. Sexton was number one.

Roll on to 2024 and we know have seen R Byrne in two finals just not really be good enough for the highest level. And Frawley eclipsing him on the national team and that decision vindicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭johnh6767

welcome back all, fun season ahead. Looks like we are back where we left off, 9 & 10 transition , but surely it’s impossible to leave Frawley off the No.1 10 select given what he has proven in SA, he’s too good to be a versatile super sub IMHO. 9, haven’t changed, Gunne & Foley need their day, an easier one to bank on I suspect, and the EI tour will give us a good insight on that front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I know Gibson park getting on in years but we have seen some 9's play well I to their 30's. If anything it's becoming an "older" position with good s&c snappy decision making that comes with age is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭conquestscarer

9 not a problem position IMO. Gibson Park is class. McGrath needs to be moved on unfortunately, Foley looked better this last year IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,368 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah but the danger is he loses some elements of his fame, like his speed to rucks or running the trail line to score or his ability to make a break. Then you start focusing on the things he does well and ignore the things he doesn't do anymore. See Rory Best as an example.

They know he's aging so they need to give the younger players important gametime so they can challenge and take over. If they back JGP relentlessly, they could end up with a problem when he leaves ,exactly like they have at 10.

they need to give the younger players important gametime

Even if he's back fit for the start of the season, JGP will play only a handful of URC games. There will be plenty of game time for someone to stake a claim, the question is whether we have someone good enough to do it. I'm skeptical enough about Foley tbh.

URC isn't the important game time though. They need to seriously think about giving giving the younger lads first team game time. Everyone looks better with the first team around them.

It's the difference between wanting to give them a bit of gametime but ultimately always play JGP in big games until he retires. Or try to improve Foley/Gunn to replace JGP as soon as their trajectories cross over.

It leinster so they will be conservative. Likely play the young lads and Mcgrath in the URC games alongside a second team, play JGP any time the first team is out and conclude there's no viable alternative to JGP.

They are simply not going to drop one of the best player in the world for a European game just so they can take a look at a young guy and see what he might be like. This is absolutely delusional and having a go at Cullen because of it is absolutely bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 thePigeon_

This really doesn’t make a lot of sense.

For starters I don’t know how Leinster, the most successful side in the world at bringing through young players, now has a reputation for being conservative? People throw out 3 cases of McCarthy not getting picked enough and Ross / McGrath getting picked too much and suddenly it undoes all the previous good work. I would agree that Byrne and McGrath got selected too much this year, but let’s not get carried away.

Dismissing URC game time is also getting carried away. Half of our CC pool games this year were against 2nd string sides - do they count for more than URC games? If not then what does that leave?

I’m fully expecting Gunne to get significant minutes at the start of the URC this year, and I hope that his performances are enough to bring him into CC squads. If not it will be Foley. McGrath got the rub of the green getting selected for the knockouts this year but I think his time in a first choice 23 is over, and the coaches now know this.

• Advertisement

The test will be hie much time mcgrath. It will likely be at Gunn's expense with Foley in the squad for most games.

How many games is JGP likely to miss. If it's 3 or 4 games and they rotate mcgrath and Foley starting with gunn getting a couple of games off the bench, it will be fine but I'd prefer to see order of gametime Foley, Gunn, and Mcgrath in third. I suspect it will be mcgrath/Foley on similar time and Gunn in third.

How many games is JGP likely to miss.

There are 18 regular season URC games. Last year, JGP started a grand total of three.

The problem is not lack of game time.

I suggested it's a matter of important game time, with first or very strong team, a few posts ago. Thst ws shot down as ridiculous.

Look, I want to see good continuity. Investment means short-term loss for long-term gain. If they give JGP all the important game time as he ages and slows down, the others won't grow as quickly. So JGP will have to drop further before it justifies replacing him.

I'm advocating for investing in the younger lads before it's absolutely necessary. It's not that radical.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭johnh6767

I'm advocating for investing in the younger lads before it's absolutely necessary. It's not that radical.

But the issue is you're talking about the "younger lads" - you don't even know if it's Foley or Gunne you're talking about, one has not really shone at all so far and the other has practically zero senior experience.

We have four European pool games and, as we saw last season, your pool standing goes a long way to determining your path through the knockouts. Dropping the second-best SH in the world for a totally unproven youngster just to give him some experience would be an incredible move, and slating a coach as "conservative" for not doing so is a bit much IMO.

Pre-season has started, we have two friendlies and then there are seven rounds of the URC before the first European game. There is loads of time for guys to show what they can do, and if they do, great, if they don't, they don't. Chances are Gunne will go to South Africa with EI too.

I'm not slating Cullen or the broader team for being conservative. It's a valid approach but has limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Random Bloke

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/2024/08/06/leinster-rugby-academy-for-2024-25-announced/

The Leinster Rugby Academy for 2024/25 has been confirmed this morning by Academy Manager, Simon Broughton.

While the second- and third-year Academy players have already been back for their first block of pre-season training, the final group of year one players won’t join up with their new teammates until tomorrow in UCD.

The players named, and their Energia AIL registered clubs are; Oliver Coffey (Blackrock College RFC), Billy Corrigan (Old Wesley RFC), Caspar Gabriel (Terenure College RFC), Hugo McLaughlin (Lansdowne FC), Ruben Moloney (UCD RFC), Alan Spicer (UCD RFC), Andrew Sparrow (UCD RFC), Niall Smyth (Clontarf FC), Stephen Smyth (Old Wesley RFC) and Alex Usanov (Clontarf FC).

fair enough. Taking a massive and unnecessary gamble with your entire season and the IRFU's budget is not a valid approach and it's never, ever going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Niall Smyth – Blackrock College / 

*did not play underage rugby in New York

Bit of an odd note to include? What's the story there? Is it that he literally didn't play any rugby until he moved to Ireland for secondary?

• Advertisement

Bit Hyperbolic. If they give Foley for example, good gametime and he makes decent progress and if JGP was injured and Foley had to start a CC game, you probably wouldn't panic and fret the "entire season and the IRFU budget was on the line". It would just be one of those things.

Advertisement