Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I realise that, but would it be big enough to accommodate that many busses? Was it already full?

Although Drumcondra isn’t that well designed for a large number of passengers.
    Maybe they need more exits at the other ends of the platforms, to cater for match passengers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've no idea on that but it's somewhat irrelevant. Rather than AGS telling the bus drivers to park on the off-road cycle lane, they could have told them to park on East Wall Road or somewhere similar. As the number of coaches could have been predicted, they could have laid out some cones the night before to ensure spaces were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

The NTA Coach park was closed for the semi final when the coaches also parked in the bus lane

Post edited by Fizzy Duck on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

East Point Business Park on a Sunday would be a ghost town, with plenty of parking available for these coaches. Presumably it's a non runner as a private space? It's an extra one minute drive from where all these buses line up and block the cycle lane for several hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Seems to be an issue here with 82,000+ attending an event and there being no central plan on how people will get there safely while ensuring the law is observed and the local people can go about their usual activities safely.

As per usual an arrogance that people can just park illegally and there will be no consequences.

Imagine motorists just dumped their vehicles in the middle of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Regardless of it being a private space, it barely does enough for cars, let alone buses or coaches. Roads are pretty narrow in there as well.

If people see buses, rubbish etc, I really would advocate making noise to your local TD, and being persistent. What is the point of installing these lanes if they will be just used like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

A bit late but……

Traffic has always been bad in Fairview at rush hour. Don't think that'll ever change tbh. 😂

As if the motorists aren't angry enough, this'll really tip some over the edge. Good marketing though.

• Advertisement

What a huge change on the East Wall Road. When was that constructed? I last drove down there in June and don't remember it looking as good as it does now with the segregated cycle way on the Aldi side.

I can imagine the disgust of the motorists who used to just park on the street there. "Those bleedin cyclists taking up all the space on the road so I can't park there now."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's been there a while at this stage, in various stages of completion. Huge question mark remains over the East Road junction, the ability to turn right there can mean zero cars getting through going straight, pretty sure it means that they plan to one way East Road at some point.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Has the cycle lane actually opened? It was still closed last week when I was down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This weekend I seen that the North strand section remains fenced off, very frustrating. Is the contractor gouging us?

Gougers Should be black listed from public works in my opinion.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The section on Alfie Byrne Road has been completed for weeks, but has fencing on it all that time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Most people just use it anyway but it's really weird how long this is taking for something so simple.

I noticed yesterday there are bollards where all the coaches were parked when the all ireland was on too.

It was open today. I went as far as Lidl on it, and back again to Clontarf.

Official date has been pushed to October now.

Jeepers, you'd think it was mechanically complex

The part they opened outbound is closed again now lol

• Advertisement

Should have just said Christmas when they announced it would be September. Christmas is what the contractor's engineers were saying. But DCC insisted it would be September.

People are getting sick of the constant missed fake deadlines.

I saw it closed in sections today, due to work trucks needing to use it.

But yesterday it had two vans in it, close to Talbot st. I think we need more plastic wands. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It was obvious that Christmas was a more realistic timeframe. There's still a lot of work left around the main junctions on the route and they take time to complete.

Large parts of Fairview outbound look nice now and I can't wait for it to be finished to actually start enjoying the space they've created.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Just a pity we'll not see it until we're in the depths of winter. Would have been nice to get to know the new layout in a bit of sunshine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

They can just park illegally, because they do.

Dull men's club update: I think they're actually resurfacing the dug up lane outside aldi

I see Loyds on Amiens St. have taken up the cycle lane to use as a beer garden, for ACDC I guess. Do you apply to do that, or just get away with it due to no enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hardly surprising I'd say, add it to the list of issues along that stretch from the Alfie Byrne rd. junction, long waits for traffic signals, cars parked across the cycle lane waiting to get into Westwood, people walking in cycle lane, people cycling against direction of travel, road works had the section you mentioned blocked the other day there.

That's before we mention the new cycle lanes on the East Wall Road, if you're coming from the Port direction you have those cycle paths which seem to be full of gravel, no cycle path until you get to the Seabank then you have to wait at the signal to cross the road to get to the cycle lane which was blocked at the Service station directing you onto the roadway, disaster area.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Any date on the inbound lane reopening to general traffic? Drove through there yesterday and it seems finished, bar a few snag list items and finishing touches.

• Advertisement

It was never really closed in fairness, there has been zero enforcement since day one.

Advertisement