Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robust new policing announced in the UK - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭mykrodot

"there's none so blind as those who will not see"

we are in a very dangerous situation. If you don't open your eyes and see, open your ears and listen then you're like the proverbial ostrich. There is blame on both sides NOT just some perception that if all the "Far Right" are jailed we're all going to be ok. This has started and there is no turning back.

What is worrying is the Government and media are shifting the balance to protecting migrants rather than their own citizens. The Irish Government is now open to numerous compensation claims and court cases over the fact they can't "house" migrants quickly enough . Yet not housing young Irish people who have been educated and are working and paying high taxes here is fine? Irish people cannot take a case, nobody is speaking for them! Young couples are putting off having babies because they are still living with their parents.

The Govt appointed Nigerian woman Dr Ebun Joseph as Special Rapporteur for the National Plan against Racism, someone who wanted the statues outside the Shelbourne removed for depicting slavery and stated "Irish people need training in how not to be racist" . The messaging is wrong, it's one sided and is creating anger and frustration in a country that has done it's best in a very short time to house unlimited Ukrainians which we did admirably …….. but now is expected to take migrants from Georgia, Nigeria, Algeria, Somalia, Libya, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe…………..with no plan, no discussion, no fear of consequence.

This can't be ignored anymore. What is happening in the UK is likely to happen in Ireland in the future. If you have kids and grandkids you cannot afford to put your hands over your ears and shout "Far Right" anymore. It is no longer a small minority. The problem is far bigger than that and it's on both sides!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I believe in facts, evidence and cogent arguments. What I got was a link dump from some random TikTok channel I've never heard of.

You've now moved the goalposts to complain about something in Ireland, always a sign of bad faith. I've no idea who Dr. Joseph is and if I want to learn, it won't be from posters who employ whataboutery.

The far right have been bleating for quite a few years now. All "Two tier policing" is is their latest white supremacist dogwhistle. Nothing more.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭mykrodot

when you say "you've now moved the goalposts to complain about something in Ireland"….. this was my first post on this thread so there is no "now" about it. While the thread is about policing in the UK does that exclude one saying similar incidents and similar policing styles might have the same effect in Ireland? Dr Ebun Joseph was a RTE leading story on the 9 O'clock News just last month and spoken about for the entire week. She was appointed by Minister for State Joe O Brien on 2 July as an independent rapporteur on racism.

You're style of post is rather cynical. You might need to be a bit more broadminded and look at things from all sides instead of putting your hands over your ears and shouting "la la la la la la la ". This isn't going away. There is wrong on both sides when it comes to the UK Riots. That is clear to see.

I only came on to make one point and I did it without hostility…..I made just ONE post here and you have accused me of "bad faith" simply because I referenced Ireland?? I am out now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Like clockwork, you've immediately resorted to misrepresentation. Thanks for proving my point.

We're done here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,092 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Another thing that's striking about social media, is that posters can edit and post whatever they feel like. No need for actual reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,052 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What about when it's posted live for all to see?

You do realise that providing accommodation to asylum seekers, doesn't mean giving them a.house, right? It means actual.accommodation, not just handing them tents. And the government absolutely do the same for our citizens.

You're right on one thing though, the more people with attitudes like yours, there will be violence. Won't be the fault of anyone else though.

Sure you can post anything you want, doesn't mean it's showing the whole picture. I could post a video of a protest and just show one side. Anyone with any agenda can slant videos and pics.

M

If an Irish citizen arrived back in Ireland penniless from Australia in the morning they would be entitled to far less than someone who arrived here via 7 safe countries to claim asylum, that is wrong, not racist, wrong.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,919 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's unsustainable though, and well beyond unsustainable that's the biggest problem, not that there aren't others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have no time for anyone gagging for some anarchy and all round yahooing. Some of those guys and girls would use a half excuse to go full on against anything. The answer is becoming increasingly difficult but it looks like a iron fist response might well be needed to deal with the hard core elements. A close friend of mine living in Germany told me over the holiday weekend she thinks some kind of mass psychosis is slowly coming around the corner. I can half see where she is coming from.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭brickster69

The radical far left are up in arms reporting the BBC to regulators for being rascist in this news report.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

explain the "mass psychois" comment ? surely they have been in one for decades or do you mean they are slowly waking up from it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The BBC have been supporting ethnic nationalism for at least a decade. They described one white supremacist riot as "Pro-British".

It's telling that you think that anyone who has a problem with racism is "radical far left".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's a pretty big sign when the "radical far left" are writing complaints, meanwhile the far right are out rioting.

the bbc seem like an outfit that try to brush anything bad about migration under the carpet, are you sure you dont have a very skewed view?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

is this your way of backing out of discussing points? you seem to be suggesting that the bbc are the "fox news" of british broadcasting. is it not more reasonable to suggest that hey are a british version of rte? and just repeat a general government line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,919 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's the biggest violent push back in England against neo liberalism since the battle of Orgreave, given that it is against a policy that is much more extreme than anything Thatcher dreamt of, the scale of violence is more.

It is not an coincidence that it is working class northern England driving it again.

No. You made an absurd claim and I asked or evidence. You have none so there's no point in continuing this.

you have one hell of a self protection mechanism but I will have to start watching the BBC , I didnt know it would be as interesting as Fox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Which 7 safe countries are you referring to?

What "far less" are they entitled to, specifically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

This hypothetical Irish citizen that's come back penniless from the far side of the world - you're not suggesting that he or she was an economic migrant are you? Maybe one that failed to convince the Australian authorities that they were a genuine asylum seeker and so got themselves deported? I mean how else would a penniless Irish citizen be able to afford the plane fare?

So basically a benefit sponger, who fled the country for "reasons" … Hardly the kind of citizen we should be encouraging when there are plenty of hard-working foreigners who'll contribute more to the economy, given half a chance and the right paperwork.

In any case, WTF do Irish immigrants from Australia have to do with UK policing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭brickster69

It is a big sign when people start screaming racism and islamaphobia at a broadcaster who actually reported a true event that did actually happen. Why start screaming like lunatics because the BBC is doing it's job properly.

Did you not see it ?

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

I dont know what that means here, you are the on that made the odd claim (the bbc supports ethnic nationalism) without any support but yet me going huh needs a waste of my time?, it not some obscure topic

You know what the complaints are about. It's been explained above but as usual, you're back to dumping tweets from dodgy accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭DeadHand

If you want to know where Ireland is headed, look at the UK now.

And we will be there very soon.

Advertisement