Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,970 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's the one good thing! They should really have utilised RTE News for the sport far more in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭RoscommonHero

There is a lot of talk about our 4 x 400m women's team when the reality is they probably won't qualify even with Mawdsley and Becker. And even if they do qualify which I doubt, and even if Adeleke runs the final they are long-shots for a medal. Depends on the draw for their heat but the standard here is above what they are used to, I don't see them making the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Does anyone know the timing for it?

Could Adeleke run the semi of the 4x400 or is she only available for the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

She won't be able to run the heat. Her final, assuming she qualifies will be Friday night. (Heats on Friday morning)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭bren2001

Shes only available for the final

And yes, it fatigues athletes. Any analyst will tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭snotboogie

No semi final just a qualifier on the 9th and a final on the 10th. Women's 400m final is on the 9th so none of the top athletes will be running in the qualifier but all should be available for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Back up the truck a little there, Roscommon…. !

But I agree with most of the above. RTE editorial angle should try to tone down the hype, and to be fair the vast majority of guest panellists are astute and fair in their input, Tom Freyne for example is the epitome of a solid, realistic and 'military' attitude— sh1t happens out there and we just didn't pull through this time. It's the same with Cameron Hanly who provided detailed and fair analysis of the actual jumping event. It's the RTE anchor presenters who shovel on the hype and hyperbole in between the copious ad-breaks in my opinion.

Equestrians have not produced Olympic success, aside from CO'C, but you cannot avoid the fact that it remains a sport in which we are world renowned and valued. It was noted that it is worth about 1 billion to the country, so if Equestrian teams qualify I'm happy to see them compete.

Granted there are those who dismiss this and I'm waiting patiently for some usual suspects on here to provide some socio-political, quasi-intellectual critique about 'niche' nonsense and other whatnottery. Of course Equestrianism is elite and niche, that in itself is no reason to denigrate those who dedicate their lives to it and represent the country at the very top level.

Whatnottery…Love it Morris

Anyway, on the Equestrien. We are world leaders when it comes to all things Horsey(Flat,NH,Breeding). Godolphins Blackhall stud is 15 minute walk from my house, there are mutliple other stud farms in Kildare, my point is, with all the resources we have at hand, how is it we are not world leaders in this event? Genuine qeustion Morris.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,559 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Getting in early with the "it's worth x amount defence" 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If that's the case though, why should anyone other than maybe the top 6 athletes who are medal contenders bother running at all? An Olympic semi final with a chance, no matter how small, to make an Olympic final would be a huge personal achievement for her. Why does anyone even bother competing against Duplantis? Or why did they against Bolt?

We are traditionally exporters of quality sport horses and thoroughbreds; we also export human talent as we are highly regarded as coaches and those with a high level of horse expertise. Thus in many cases our domestic indigenous advantages are felt beyond these shores. It doesn't translate into medal success for Ireland however, the reasons for which may be multi-faceted. It's also not comparable to athletic events as animals are involved. Equally, it's no harm to remember that we have had numerous international champions and team successes over many decades, aside from Olympic medals, which is not the only metric for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭josip

Both a sprint and endurance, Worst of both worlds. From 200 to 400 is murder.

Haha 😀 - for clarity, I'm no 'horse-whipping doper' defender whatsoever

So, is it the Rider who owns the horse? Does it ultimately come down to what financial resources the rider has available when buying the horse they want to compete with?

You can't buy a half decent NH horse now for less than 100k and you probably know how much even a mediocre flat horse with any type of pedigree costs, not that a flat bred horse could ever be considered for an Equestrien event.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,374 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I wouldn't agree with the suggestion any of the athletes out there this morning "underperformed".

O'Sullivan ran a pb and just missed out, a really brave effort - the clip by the Japanese athlete on the final bend may have cost her also. Healy literally gave it everything she had in her heat, collapsing over the line. You have to remember that absolute times can be bad markers for understanding effort - in Healy's heat the pace ratcheted up really significantly across the last 600m. I'm sure she is absolutely devastated she didn't hang on, but effort was absolutely not in question.

Mawdsley ran a pb in the heat and was the fastest non qualifier. Hard to come back the next day and run another pb type effort, which is what was required. Becker meanwhile ran a much faster time than her heat, and close to her pb. There is nothing to criticise here at all - both athletes performing their very best or close to it on the biggest stage. The standard of competition is really high, that's why Adeleke is so exciting.

Finally, for the showjumpers, qualifying for a final with the opportunity to go in the last 3 was an achievement in of itself. A brutal course out there, as demonstrated by only 3 of 30 competitors jumping clear.

We are maybe a bit spoiled so far this Olympics. Progressing through heats and qualifying rounds in the Olympics is a fine achievement, in any sport. All we should ever hope for from our athletes is they perform towards the limits of their capability on the big stage. Being "disappointed" when Irish athletes just fall short is a privilege.

Because they have a realistic chance of making a final in the relay. That's the key difference between the situation with Becker/Mawsdley and what you're describing. If they were not in the relay, it wouldn't be a question, you'd run. With the relay, you have to optimise what is best overall.

The girls decided that running in repechage was best and fair enough. It doesn't invalidate asking the question as to whether they should.

good on you, you're a great supporter, wouldn't want you to be my coach but a great supporter, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,390 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Think you better get used to it this week.

Last week was week where medals came.

Adeleke is only one who will make final this week most likely, maybe Gillespie, on Sunday. That will be our lot now.

Harrington hopefully gets a better medal tonight obviously

They were each competitive in their rep heat, and both ultimately missed out on the semi final by less than half a second. I think that validates the decision to try.

• Advertisement

I've been clear on my view that it was their choice. However, others are suggesting that the question shouldn't have been asked. Asking if they should skip the repechage considering the circumstances seems fair and normal.

Personally, I don't think failing to qualify justifies it. They were a long way off on times and a long way off winning. They've possibly compromised their chances for the relay. That's a very cold view and they're able to look back at Paris and there is no "what ifs" about their solo attempts.

Very often, the showjumper does not own the horse, they are the 'talent' backed by the money. I think it was AJF O'Reilly who actually owned Cian O'Connor's infamous horse in 2004 (open to correction) so in many cases, private finance rather than government funding is what drives Equestrian sport at the top level. Plenty riders in that final were either riding an Irish-bred or Irish-prepared horse, some had been guided/coached by Irish equestrians over time, alongside the 2 Irish riders themselves.

That's your view Bren, but i think Mawdsley and Becker knew what was best for them and ultimately that what it's about. What is best for them. Not Ireland

Yeah, of course.

Whats the point of a forum if it isn't to give an opinion?

Very odd reply.

Well I don't think unrealistic criticism is the bedrock of good coaching!! Saying Healy and Mawdsley "underperformed" simply isn't true. They were both within a range of their best times. At their very best, they are right on the line of progression to the next stage of their event at the Olympic level. The standard of competition is what it is, and our athletes are what they are. If you're following closely there was no big surprises or underperformance today. Disappointment /= underperformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Interesting (or maybe not) when Sonia ran the 1500m semi final in Barcelona in 1992, when she was a similar age to what Sophie is now, she finished 11th in a time of 4:06.24. Sophie was 7th today in 4:00.23. Maybe demonstrates how much room she has to grow

It's not Bren. That's my opinion. you gave your opinion

I think the girls were right, you didn't think they were. Nothing odd about my reply.

It is wazzzle. That's my opinion. You gave your opinion that it's a normal reply.

Lets see how they get on in the Heats on Friday. Hopefully they have not taken too much out of their legs.

Yeah she's clearly still improving. She had a great demeanour before the race and really dug in to try and qualify. Gave it a lash, was great to watch tbh.

• Advertisement

They both underperformed. They admit that themselves. I am glad they hold themselves to higher standards. I rate them both highly and know they are better than what they showed this morning, and so do they. We can wave the flags and utter platitudes all we want but it's about results, and performing at your best when it counts. Simple.

Advertisement