Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Is there some legal basis you think somebody highly skilled or educated should not be applying for asylum, or is just an opinion?

If I were in the situation of being eligible for both I'd go the asylum route. That way I could get on with starting a new life instead of going visa to visa and then possibly being ineligible for asylum a few years down the line.

Anyone working in Ireland goes through the same recruitment process, I don't see why you think somebody would not have their qualifications checked if they were an asylum seeker?

And once more, there's no obligation to seek asylum in the 'safe' country nearest where you left.

This is just more of the speculation, myth and hateful opinion you lot are pushing. It's both sad and scary some people see this as justification for committing violence and even talk of 'war' in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,534 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

You can see it in the US a bit , Im guessing via analysis Im following that Black Males or Hispanic males in particular are going to switch and vote Republican in noticeable numbers because they are against open borders as it affects them directly. The scenes in NI were sending a signal that working class people are having enough of it too.

it will be interesting to see if it affects politics here next year but it maybe too early , at the end of the day houses and taxes dont grow on trees, a lot of deluded politicians and luvvies out there

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree with all of this General and I have long thought that this shoddy government was beyond contempt, completely inefficient and utterly self serving. I struggle to find a credible opposition party at the same time when it comes to fixing the immigration system and pushing back the tide. I see a lot of mouthy lunatics trying to fill the vacuum but I had hoped that existing TDs would be brave enough to form parties that would combat the incompetence, chronic waste, corruption, cronyism etc. Independent Ireland would appear the only ones but it's very early days and their TDs are a little iffy to me.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

I said “far right” once in my original post. What are you talking about ffs?

And yes it is fear mongering. In essence the post I replied to said there’d be a global recession with FDI pull out here and people would lose their jobs and yet the “entitled undocumented” immigrants would still get their benefits resulting in riots far worse than the UK are seeing now. And that’s not fear mongering, sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The reason that you see it in the current instance is purely ignorance and lack of education. We have the bizarre spectacle of fellas from Dublin, who think that being a patriot means attacking the State while wrapping yourself in a tricolour before going up for pints with the UDA. They probably genuinely just have no idea of the history of the people they are joining up with.

Many of them are just looking to take out their frustrations at their own lack of achievement and, at the end of the day, just want to go destroying thing for the craic. The whole patriot thing is just something they think gives them an excuse or higher authority. In reality, they have no principles beyond wanting to smash things up. Look at the images from the British news over the past few days. It's mainly the types of lads who, back a few years ago, would have been involved in football hooligan violence. The immigration thing is just an excuse to focus on. It's just "picking a team" and then going and smashing stuff up with your buddies from that team

• Advertisement

does it matter? every society has under achievers , working class under achievers dont want competition for housing and welfare etc. Lefty activists are under achievers too which is why they take out their frustrations by displaying toxic empathy and narcissism and are a danger for wider society

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's up to you if you want to take your guidance from "patriots" whose grasp of Irish history doesn't even extend to knowing about the Troubles in the North. You too can be a patriot in their mould if you wish

I'd agree with a lot of that. There's certainly a mindless football hooligan element to it.

I think what's a bit more dangerous here is that some of the hardcore seem to actually believe they're defending their communities and their culture from a supposed invasion. It seems some genuinely believe they're part of a heroic struggle and are justified to cross the line into killing their 'enemies'.

Really there's no great difference from the jihadists they think they're protecting us from. Just some poor marginalized kids brainwashed on hateful ideology. I think it's becoming clear we need to get tougher on the people pushing this poison, starting with the keyboard warriors and social media companies.

I dont know what guidance means but its just an inevitable reaction because they are hit first. I live in D4 so in selfish terms it makes no difference to me , open borders wont affect my area or services but at least I can empathize that it will affect other sections of society and I can see that supporters of open borders are losers but in a more malign and toxic way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Maybe it's because the Nationalists and Loyalists killed each other for years. Then came the Good Friday agreement. They thought they could have relative peace going forward. The fake refugees had very little interest in NI during the troubles. Now that there is reasonable peace they now need to seek asylum there in large numbers. They, the locals ( as working class) feel threatened.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭boetstark

Ok fair enough. So you

1 disagree with the possibility of a global recession. Ignore the fact of markets beginning to drop. The distinct possibility of a wider conflict in middle east. Civil strife in UK.

2 Irelands FDI take is something special and can never reduce.

I will finish with just two questions if you wouldn't mind answering. What percentage of every cent going into our government coffers is FDI generated. What is our current social welfare budget in billions and actually increasing every year.

I am no far right but I have seen a few recessions, have 17 plus years financial experience. I fear my my son and your kids if we continue to spend massively beyond our means and when the bust comes then you will see anti migrant sentiment.

Anything evidence to show these people in NI are 'fake' refugees?

If not it's just more unsubstantiated hatemongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

ok that’s a very different position to the post I originally replied to in fairness to you.

They are genuine concerns but it’s a step further to set the ground for blaming immigrants and using it as an opportunity for violence if it comes to pass. For background I grew up in a council estate with a single parent in 80s Dublin so I’m no stranger to difficult times so I can relate.

For the record I’m all for a more robust immigration system and a genuine open and honest discussion but i draw the line at violence, the threat of violence or blaming immigrants directly for our own personal situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-far-right-activists-who-took-part-in-belfast-protest-were-hosted-by-loyalist-arrested-over-murder-of-five-catholics/a429091345.html

So this is what these self-proclaimed 'patriots' are up to. Sitting down and drinking with a kind of man that murders Catholics for being Catholic.

They're not patriots, they just despise people who aren't white so much that they'll ally themselves to anyone else who shares their sick beliefs. The lowest kind of scum.

"Irish far right activists who travelled to Belfast at the weekend for an anti-immigration protest were hosted by a loyalist who was arrested in connection with the murders of five Catholics in a sectarian attack.

"The UDA man is described as ‘Suspect 4’ in a Police Ombudsman report into the 1992 gun attack on Sean Graham’s Bookmakers. Five people, ranging in age from 15 to 66, were murdered in the sectarian atrocity.

"A Police Ombudsman investigation into the UDA unit responsible for the attack identified a number of suspects, including the loyalist widely believed to have been the getaway driver.

"On Saturday, the UDA man hosted the Dublin far-righters in a bar in Sandy Row in south Belfast, where they boasted that they’d received a “heroes’ welcome”."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

There is no war zone bordering Northern Ireland that I am aware of.

Would moving through tens of safe countries not indicate someone is quite possibly not in genuine need for refuge if they are in a position to shop around for the best country to stay in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

An olive branch is the 1st step to a United Ireland. Fair play to all involved.

I agree we can't keep relying on FDI and of course a global recession will come at some point. I wouldn't agree with your assertion that we are not a wealthy country.

Putting IPAs in private accommodation is hugely expensive but as far as I can see it's just one example where this government gets terrible value for money. The children's hospital is another obvious examples but really there's a list as long as my arm where the public purse is paying way above what it should/could be for services or infrastructure.

In terms of reducing costs I see two options:

Option A) move to state owned accommodation which has been costed at about half our current outlay (a current outlay which will likely only raise from the costs associated with violent protests, arson attacks, worker intimidation etc.)

Option B) try to stop people coming here. This might seem attractive but what is the cost and what are the consequences? People on here talk a lot about the Danish model but that's not so straightforward. For a start it's certainly worth noting that Denmark appears to be changing it's approach and trying to move towards some version of the immigration pact. After that the Danish approach relies heavily on using their police force to monitor arriving asylum seekers, I believe there are regular checks and daily signing on. We don't have these police numbers and are struggling to recruit.

If somebody fails to meet the criteria for refugee status in Denmark they are then moved to a deportation center. These are designed to be punitive centers in the hope of forcing people to leave. They have fallen foul of EU legislation, though to date there's been no fine as was the case with Hungary.

Denmark manages to deport some of the people from these centers but for the most part it appears people simply disappear and try their luck elsewhere in Europe. Therein lies the biggest issue. The more people take the Danish approach, the harder it is to implement as alternative destinations disappear. I think there's a very real risk Europe and Ireland wide we'd end up with something akin to Australia's approach of warehousing people in detention centers, where they don't leave because they have no alternative. It's one thing to be locking people up for a few months, another thing entirely to be holding people long term.

I've posted links documenting all this stuff several times in the thread, if anything else is required please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭hhmmm?

I drove passed the Ballyogan says no protest site yesterday and it's been left abandoned with stuff everywhere. Very much an eyesore. Do the residents of Ballyogan plan on going back and tidying up after themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭rgossip30

This is likely the case but the CSO publish the guesstimate figure regardleass . The IPO and PPS would show the exact number but not forthcoming ? I would think with the safe country list expanded and accelerated process for certain countries the numbers could escalate .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭scottser

If everyone paid their FAIR share of taxes, there would be enough to go around and immigration simply would not be an issue. Poverty and stupidity are a very potent mix.

There's that oft repeated myth again.

There's no obligation whatsoever to seek asylum in the nearest 'safe' country. Research shows people chose countries further away because of friends/family connections, political stability and job opportunities. The same factors I reckon most of us would chose in that scenario.

There's been plenty of examples where larger numbers of people have moved further away to avoid threat. The example that comes to mind to me is the number of Iranians who moved to the US and especially the west coast after the Ayatollah fell. I don't think anyone questions that they were genuine, yet they moved to the other side of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah like turkey currently has 3.6 million Syrian refugees. Some Syrians will trickle through to every part of Europe.

Unfortunately I think unless something drastic happens like finding gold or some other precious metal , FDI is the only game in town.

As I pointed out earlier we are not wealthy using the GDP to Debt ratio. We are not broke but not half as wealthy as the usual sources would have you believe.

Unfortunately all these new irish will bear the brunt of the backlash if and when the dodo hits the fan and that us a situation nobody deserves.

I cannot see a reason why we cannot draw a line under the the numbers looking for assistance as of right now. This sh#te the Micheal Martin is feeding the Irish electorate about obligations etc is BS for the gullible.

Where I lived previously is a very very wealthy state , no national debt and tax income to burn. They don't stop people coming there. If you arrive without a job / visa you better have deep pockets because you receive absolutely zero state assistance, apart from giving you directions to nearest port or airport. They are doing just fine no international repercussions.

As long as the government ignore normal taxpayers and put labels on them , people will feel the only ones that understand their concerns are the so called extreme right.

We have a government that are treating the electorate as if we are idiots or children and we do not know what's best for Ireland. Follow the money , alot of political bedfellows are making fortunes out of this shambles.

I don't know where you lived previously but what might work in work jurisdiction might simply not be applicable here.

People talk about Australia as an example too but where they finally got managed to reduce the (actually very low) number of arrivals they had was by pushing back the larger boats that were coming there. That's simply not possible in Europe, we get thousands of small craft at a time and traffickers have learned to co-ordinate movements.

People have talked about reducing/removing benefits but the risk is people turn to begging/crime/working undocumented.

I don't think it's nearly as simple as saying we take x amount and no more. How do you enforce that?

I've no way of knowing who or how many are 'genuine' or 'fake', nor do you, so why talk about all these people as 'fake'?

Do you not think there's any genuine refugees, or are you just ok with belittling people who've come through those kind of horrors and are trying to start a new life?

Jersey CI. Pretty much regulates itself. When word goes out that you get zero benefits influx dries up

And your basis for this claim is Jersey? Population 100k?

How many were seeking asylum there and what did it reduce to when they cut benefits?

I don't know has any European country fully cut benefits. UK I believe went as low as £1.25 per day but obviously that didn't 'stop the boats'

I get what your saying but it shouldn’t be the case.

maybe the migration pact will help with that, though I wouldn’t hold by breath.

Nobody is physically better off in Ireland from whatever they are running from then they are in France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Croatia etc - they are however financially better off and in an English speaking country.

Ireland is a great deal for illegal economic migrants(refugees who are no longer refugees).

The Darian Gap up into Panama is a perfect example. People are flooding through there to get to America, Mexico while likely safe for them is not their final destination, Cubans, Venezuelans and even Chinese people are using it to get into the US En-masse. We are seeing exactly the same thing except it’s us that are the final destination in the European context for many folks.

• Advertisement

Dupicate post - deleted

Advertisement