Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Harris is out campaigning non stop from what I can see. And there's pretty much no question that she's more mentally competent than Trump. Meanwhile Trump is the guy who is actively backing out of debates...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Again, the 'MSM' is not a monolith, as you know, but the acronym is always a fun one to tick off if playing 'crap buzzword bingo'. Fox News, last time I checked, is rather pro-Trump and have a huge market/audience share. If that's not enough for American audiences, they have the smaller networks of Newsmaxx and One America News. In addition to that, you have syndicated conservative talk radio shows as well. Plenty of shilling done for Trump on all of that.

It makes Trump look bad (or worse, even) and he doesn't even realise it. Because the only thing which has changed about the debate is that he now has to take on Harris instead of Biden, wanting a change of network and venue indicates that he's scared and wants the most agreeable terms possible for a matchup. He can't say that he wants more time to prepare for a different opponent because the Fox date is earlier than the ABC one.

#trumpisacoward indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Harris is out campaigning.

Trump is the one being kept away, lest he say something even stupider in his speeches than going on about electric boats and Hannibal Lecter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This is a pretty good article on her avoidance of the media.

But she hasn’t endured an extended interaction with the press since before the June 27 debate that doomed Biden’s candidacy. The last time was on June 24 on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” hardly a challenging venue for a Democrat.

Less consequential but more outrageous is the press’ collective complicity in Harris’ strategy. The vice president’s campaign has wisely flip-flopped on many of the fatally left-wing positions she took during her ill-fated first presidential campaign — against fracking, in favor of Medicare for all, sympathetic to calls to cut funding to police departments and so on. But the press shouldn’t let her get away with it so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The prospects look OK for Harris but as has being said the middle east and maybe more to the point the economy has plenty of time left to cause her problems .It's pretty hard to find real independent analysis of how things are going and likely to pan out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,171 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jesus do all of your talking points come from places like Fox News?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats true to a certain degree but Fox arent exactly subtle.

This election is going to hinge on Independent and undecided voters in swing states, I dont think a large proportion of them watch Fox News.

Much more likely to watch what is viewed as central/left leaning tv.

The ones that portray themselves as unbiased when they are anything but.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing post announcing her running mate, we're likely to see interviews. But my point stands, Trump is not even willing to engage in the debate process. In relation to changing her stance on certain policies, show me a politician who hasn't? She's walked back positions somewhat cause it has the potential to decide the election. She's made no secret that she's walked such back such positions, I'm sure it's likely to even show up during the debates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the worst thing Harris has done is a little flip flopping - which, basically, every politician has done since the days of Rome, then truly the GOP and avowed Sealions are on a hiding to nothing and have found as much to pin her with.

Politician changed their views. Dog bites man. Now the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

I think a lot here overestimate the issues in the middle East and Israel. The average American couldn't give two **** about anything outside their own country. In fact the majority of Americans wouldn't be able to point out Israel on a map.

If a network is centre or left leaning and they say that Trump is an oddball, that's not bias. That's the reasonable conclusion that centrists and left-leaning people would come to.

To illustrate this point for you, a referee can be said to be unbiased while giving far more cards to one team than the other, and that's because one team acts the maggot.

Where have her opponents challenging interviews been in the past few weeks? Fox News. And no “extended interaction with the press” lest he tell them to go inject bleach or something.

Opinion columnists can complain about her “strategy” but the poll inflection and the blowout fundraising speaks for itself.

Trump hasn’t held a conference since May (an “I am not a crook” conference following his felony conviction) and his NABJ appearance was a complete train wreck for his campaign. She’s doing great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not convinced a plurality of Americans could find all their own states on a map; not uncommon for a person to have never even crossed state lines. The country is agonisingly undereducated and poor in places to an extent we can't compare (outside maybe some parts of France, UK etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭techdiver

Thus how easy it is to manipulate the masses. I think the under education is a feature not a bug. Educated populations are a lot harder to manipulate and control. The GOP likes ignorant God fearers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Reckon it will be Walz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CNN and a few others starting to report it's Walz.

100% and you can be damn sure you'll find a common hue with any initiative whose net result was LESS education rather than more. Or less funding. Fewer book choices. Fewer ideas allowed. They'll stop short at having schools close but it's by design the public system is a mess, and dangerously incapable of educating generations of children to any beneficial degree. As one candidate for November remarked, "I like stupid people".

The children that survive of course: the GOP are also happy to make your school days include hiding under tables as someone shoots your friends dead, píssing in kitty litter as much out of fear as a full bladder. Then will opine we need to arm teachers and the kitty litter is for kids identifying as cats.

Gonna stop there because it's a topic that genuinely enrages me. The systemic crippling of education in America, coupled with letting children die for a constitutional amendment, is tantamount to criminal. All our problems can be solved with more learning, not less.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Would have preferred Kelly or Shapiro. Still a better pick than Vance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'd be happy with Walz, would have preferred Kelly though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

Walz it is

Walz is pretty safe, will get working class voters but also very progressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Walz deserves it for kickstarting the "weird" criticisms of Trump & Vance.

Kelly helps with Arizona in the senate, which makes sense. Would be fair to Walz described as the safest of the three choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She was never gonna pick a Jew. Not these days. I know that's appalling, but it's the reality.

Kelly can do far more good for her in the Senate. And he's far more intelligent than she is. And she's no dummy.

Walz is the very definition of a working class American made good. He's a hard worker both in his personal and political life. He has 24 years service as a senior NCO in the US Army and National Guard. He has farmed, he has worked in factories and he has taught in high school for many years. And he's a nice safe solid protestant, being a Lutheran, not a namby pamby Episcopalian or a crazy ass Bible bashing Baptist.

If Harris is elite uppity Hollywood, LA, Beltway, trouser suit, then Walz to many people IS Mr Middle America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,846 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Walz.

Thank fcuk for that.

It would have been a challenge to actively root for Harris if Shapiro was on the ticket. And Walz' background, plain talking, pro-union is nice to see. I'd say AIPAC put unreal pressure on for Shapiro in last couple weeks.

Depends on the final result. If they win, he will be lauded for his devastatingly simple and effective description. If they lose, it will be in the record as unimaginative and tame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Advertisement