Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That's an entirely different scenario though. You're now proposing that if he shows progress in URC games and it becomes necessary to play him in a CC game, then we should do so. I wholeheartedly agree, what else would we do?

Based on what we saw last season, Foley has quite a way to go to catch up to McGrath, let alone justify benching a fit JGP in a season-defining game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,368 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Well obviously IF he shows progress etc. A player can't show progress away to dragons in a scratch team. They need proper investment in decent strength teams make and show progress.

I've said what I think and i dont think its radical. Feel free to have the last word

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭FtD v2

Very promising intake I think.

Three props coming in - Usanov played well I thought for the 20s in the 6N a year young, and Sparrow and Smyth both look to have prototypical size. I'm very encouraged by Niall Smyth's profile in particular.

Stephen Smyth didn't shine as much for the U20s I thought as I'd hoped. It's obvious he's a relatively recent convert to hooker as his fundamentals still need work, but he has an outstanding physical profile.

At lock, Billy Corrigan is probably the most surprising addition - he's another U19 who played okay for the U20s this year. Looks a little undersized to me, but another good athlete again. Looks potentially more like a 6 long term to me.

Alan Spicer has all the size in the world, but probably wasn't quite as impactful for the 20s at times as people would have hoped. Will be encouraged what they can do with him in a professional S&C environment, as he has sky high potential based on his physique.

No backrowers added, and it's probably the area of least depth now in the Leinster academy. Leinster had no backrowers on the 20s this year.

Coffey is a tidy player at 9 - and a good kicker. Very different style of player to JGP, more of a bigger, physical 9 (like Conor Murray for example).

Caspar Gabriel at 10 is enormously exciting. Relatively rare for Leinster to take players straight out of school into the academy but there are two in this intake (Gabriel and N Smyth). I haven't seen much of him, but supposed to be a really nice footballer and instinctive player. Will be exciting to see him develop.

Of the two back three players added - Hugo McLaughlin has the more polished CV. He looked the best player in the Schools Cup back in 2023, won a cup with Gonzaga and has a very balanced game. Ruben Moloney is rawer and didn't get the chance to create the same impact at U20s level due to injuries, but to me, might be the higher upside player.

All in though a very promising crop with a lot of athletic potential in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Agree with most. Your point on Spicer - perhaps he was subject to huge hype from some people.

I think he played like a player who was a year young. Rare for U19s to be game changers at U20s. Especially with the sheer size he has. Excited to see what he can do as an Under20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 thePigeon_

Based on last season, I really don't think Foley has quite a way to go to catch McGrath at all. I think McGrath was purely picked on reputation or previous bodies of work for the Champions Cup and even more so URC knockouts. Foley was in better form but with limited games to show it.

McGrath had a poor season. His passing was never a strong suit but it deteriorated to a point that is just not acceptable for a scrumhalf in a team like Leinster, and the coaches have to know this. IMO he kept his place at the end of the season because he had the experience, there was serious jeopardy in the knockouts, and Foley's run in had been disrupted by injury. With a clean run of pre-season and URC games I don't expect that to continue. The question for me is if Foley can keep ahead of Gunne for the entire season.

Maybe Luke will show a marked improvement this season, I wouldn't be too confident. If I was betting on how things progress I'd expect him to be quickly phased into a role similar to Ruddock's last season - experienced pro, incredible servant, gives 100% every time, but basically only brought out when the cupboard is bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭FtD v2

Yeah, I do agree with that. Made the point before, but both Evan O'Connell and Hugh Gavin were good players as U19s but neither were game changers by any means. The impact to both of a year in the Academy programmes was really telling.

Spicer is never going to be the most dynamic of guys, but he can still be a huge force with his size.

I'm on board with investing in young lads before it's necessary, but I think the idea that this needs to come by taking first team minutes from JGP is over the top. JGP plays as few regular season games as possible and with his continued importance to Ireland this won't change. Outside of must-win Champions Cup games or URC knockouts, he'll basically only be playing for Leinster to be fit for Ireland games, or those must-win Leinster games. From a game time perspective there won't really be fat to trim.

Regardless though, trimming his game time isn't needed. Beyond JGP there'll be plenty other minutes for Foley or Gunne to establish themselves, and a lot of those minutes will be with first choice or strong teams. If they can play the lion's share of minutes as backup to JGP then that will do absolutely fine this season.

On the other hand, if McGrath takes those 2nd choice minutes then it will hamper their development but McGrath's minutes should be the focus here instead of JGPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I don't think McGrath was as bad as people are making him out to be at all.

I hope so, we've been a full decade waiting for a decent home-grown SH to follow in McGrath's footsteps, and while he's a decent player, being as good as or better than him is not a huge ask. How far Foley has to go to get there is up for debate, but he's definitely not there yet. I think it's just as likely he'll finish the season as fourth choice as second tbh.

McGrath's passing was always woeful, but I don't think he was as bad as all that. His all-round game is what kept him in the picture for so long and it's still there IMO.

• Advertisement

A few months back I analysed Lukes passing compared to Ben Murphy (I think it may have been the game against Benetton? Can't fully remember and boards took away the ability to search my posts)

I did it to the same standard that video analysts in Ireland would do (or the standard it was few years back when I was involved - it may have changed since but I doubt by much)

In grading a pass good, average or bad, in and around half of Lukes passes could be considered faultless. So 1 in 2 passes he threw resulted in the receiver needing to - at best - check their run and - at worst - missed the target or significantly compromised their carry.

Murphy came on and had 70% faultless passes. Now the game had changed and the direct comparison isn't entirely accurate but it does paint at least a little picture.

At the core of it. A scrum half is going to have coaching metrics for their Good, Average and Bad passes. And I guarantee you no pro 9 is going to be aiming for 50%.

What the above analysis doesn't factor is in passing speed however. Visually, Lukes passing when compared that day to Murphy was laboured and slow. I used a specific comparison of 2 passes to the 10 in the pocket to clear. Lukes pass died after 10m and barely made it to the receiver who was 12-15m away. Murphys shot right into the hands and gave the kicker a great platform.

I watch pretty much every Leinster game, and more often than not I watch every game back. Lukes passing has been a recurring theme for many years.

A maddening thing that has become prevalent in recent years is his habit for stringing 3/4/5 poor passes in a row together. It's like he gets into his head. His best pass is a good standard but still slow when you directly compare it to his peers. We are seeing him string together several good quick accurate passes in a row more frequently these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭hold my beer

That's great and all, but it was 1 game. His pass has been an issue for years but I just don't think it's as consistently bad and costing us as much as people go on that it is.

His passing is bad though. In previous seasons he has had a tendency to start the season poorly but bring it up a notch as he settled. Not the last 2 seasons though.

The reason I trawled through that game in particular was due to the culmination of several poor performances. I wanted a closer look.

Yes in isolation my post references one game. Every player is allowed a stinker of an outlier. But I made a point of analysing this game because I wanted to see if the stats match up to my opinion (they were worse) and I wanted to see how he matched up against a player who was deemed surplus to requirements.

But I'd place a good chunk of change that Lukes passing metrics are far too high in the Average category and far too low in the Good category.

Has it directly cost us at significant moments in significant games? I can't give that as a metric because it's a skilled position with numerous involvements. It would be an oversimplification.

But has his passing directly caused a failure of launch plays we'd be looking for significant territory gain/ a try on? Yes.

Has his passing directly put the team under too much pressure at important times? Yes. We see times the kicker has to check before clearing because of the quality and speed of the pass, as a result they don't go as far an all of a sudden we're defending a different zone of the pitch.

I don't want to sh1t on Luke too much. He's a dedicated player and a Leinster stalwart. 200+ caps is nothing to shake a stick at. He's a great defender, supremely fit, a good leader, an excellent kicking game and seems like an all around good bloke.

He's been in situ this whole time as the best Leinster developed 9 in the last decade. That speaks more on Leinsters development than him. He's been here fit and willing and so far no one has ousted him. So to that I say good on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭conquestscarer

If his pass was even at a decent club scrum half standard he would have come on in the Champions Cup final. As good as JGP is you want to be replacing your scrum half on at least 70 minutes IMO, unless you have Dupont.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭conquestscarer

Think you're misprofling Moloney abit. He has a great pass, makes great decisions on the ball and has great feet. I think he's had a torrid time with injury but looks like he's gotten through the worst of it and I'm very bullish on him in the future.

Yeah agreed on Moloney, think he has the most talent of the back three players in the academy.

Don't think anyone is saying McGrath is a good passer.

The question is whether anyone is a better 9 than him?

Foley is nearly 25 and he's being talked about like some young year 2 academy prospect, unless he's going to kick on majorly this season he isn't the solution. Ben Murphy looked good in patches but is gone already. Paddy Patterson, Nick McCarthy, Charlie Rock, Hugh O'Sullivan and probably a few more I can't remember have all been and gone and no-one has remotely looked good enough.

He can be good at all the other roles but if his passing isnt good enough then its not much use.

Gunne is the man and the faster he is backed the better.

JGP isn't as good as Dupont but he's probably the second best SH in the world. You leave your best players on the field as long as you can and you don't yank them off when the game is in the balance.

You "want" to be replacing your front row after 50 or 60 minutes but Furlong and Sheehan played 68 minutes and Porter played 88, because that's how good they are.

We are seeing him string together several good quick accurate passes in a row more frequently these days.

Is this what what you meant to say here or was there a typo? Seems inconsistent with the previous points (which I very much agree with)

• Advertisement

Oh that is a typo yes. In fact it's just a poorly worded sentence. I changed the focus mid way through.

That should read we're not seeing him string together quick accurate passes numerous phases in a row these days

That makes more sense alright 😂

Completely agree! And for a team like Leinster that wants to play quick, accurate, multi-phase rugby, it is absolutely a hindrance. Gunne looks well able to pass quickly and accurately. I agree with HeyHo above, we need to be backing him asap. Fortunately, I think we will.

Let's all hope so, because this exact claim has been made for a lot of players over the last 10 years and not one of them has backed it up, or gone elsewhere and proved Leinster wrong.

If Gunne is that good, he should have no problem overtaking Foley anyway, and even if he's second fiddle to McGrath at the start of the season, he will get plenty of senior game time. I would also expect him to be going to South Africa in September.

Paddy Patterson has went elsewhere and looked more than good enough and should have been backed by Leo to play more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,657 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The Paddy Patterson / Nick McCarthy swap doesn't say much for Leinster's judgement of talent at 9

Heaven forbid Leo's judgement of player was called into question. He certainly isn't perfect and has blind spots when it comes to selection

He's looked good enough to be third choice for either province.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

no-one has remotely looked good enough.

It's pretty hard to argue against that including McGrath at this point though. His passing has gotten worse and even his game management and decision making seems to have gone backwards.

The usual caveats about the coaches seeing far more than we do apply, but I struggle to see how anything except a potentially equally substandard player but at last with higher upside isn't the better option now.

Advertisement