Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medicine phobia

• 05-08-2024 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I was on holiday with a friend and she was complaining about a toothache but absolutely wouldn't but any OTC painkillers and said she wouldn't even like taking a paracetamol tablet if she can help it.

I've never understood this mindset. It's not ideal to take tablets but if they help, It seems silly to be resistant to taking them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You should show her this post, maybe she’ll explain her position to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I know some people have a sort of purest attitude that they would only take pain killers as a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

As Atlantic said above is it a case of she doesn't like putting chemicals in her body (my friend wont take any medication even prescription, she's rather suffer than poison herself). A phobia is a fear of something. Two completely different situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Is she ok with all the dihydrogen monoxide she consumes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

No. That stuff is very dangerous. Call an ambulance immediately if she consumes any water.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its probably not a phobia per se. I dont like taking medication unless I really have to and I will avoid it where possible regardless of the pain etc I am in.

However the last few years I have taken more freely as I find I do need them a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭nachouser

10 threads, 14 posts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is your friend religious? Certain flavours of Christianity see pain as a path to redemption. The old Irish habit of "offering up" their suffering and other examples are all pertinent.

The example of Purdue Pharmaceuticals trying to crack the German market for Oxy is relevant here. The prevailing German attitudes to pain & pain relief also have a significant impact on addiction rates there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Was thinking of the Mother Theresa like attitude alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I have taken fewer than ten painkillers in my life - all for a crumbling rotten wisdom tooth I had to wait 8 months to have surgically removed during Covid. I just don't see the point in taking medication to simply cover up the symptoms of something if I can just learn to live with it and get on with it until it's properly treated. During the 8 months there were around 4 nights when I needed a nurofen to dull the pain enough to sleep, and I took the prescribed pain relief for a couple of days after the surgery, then felt it was grand so stopped. I've no big objections to medications (I take some every day for long term illness), I just don't feel the need for pain relief for everyday pains and aches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was going to use her as a particular example but some people get very defensive of the awful conditions she imposed upon some under her care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭iniscealtra

I took an epidural for the birth of my child but don’t take any every day pain relief. It just covers up problems. If I have a headache i’ll take a nap if i can or massage the forehead area. I got prescribed painkillers when i díslocated my kneecap but once it was back in place i didn’t need them so i didn’t take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Your friend was just been an utter eejit.

Advertisement