Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Walz is the smart choice, though Pete Buttigieg is the best speaker of the lot, I can see him being the nominee in 8 years…. if the earth still exists in 8 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If America elects a (black) woman it'll be doing well, and hit a bar already set by many other countries; let's not go nuts and think it could elect a gay man as well. In fact I daresay for now that a bridge too far cos many Conservatives have their eye on same-sex marriage too after Roe v Wade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,169 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pete’s awesome it just doesn’t feel like he has “it” quite yet. He has all the smarts and wit and charm but not the “it” that’s hard to describe.

still not answering the question, and ignoring the “analogy” of his first term when he couldn’t negotiate with his own party and abandoned the Kurds and recognized Crimea as Russian.

For what amounts to a third time I’ll ask you what in the world makes you think he will negotiate an end to the war and what in the world do you think that looks like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think that if there is enough message or charisma, then America would elect a person of pretty much any background. Hillary Clinton was not rejected because she was a woman, she was rejected because she had such a lack of message that talking about being a woman seemed to be the principal way she could think of to generate any kind of excitement about her campaign and that's just not enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭advisemerite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its arguable that Trumps Presidency was a direct backlash to electing Obama, so electing a black women could have unforseen consequences.

LoL, no.Pete is not awesome and you're right he doesn't have it yet and never will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,391 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Disagree: I think Trump happened because in the aftermath of the global 2008 crash, nobody behind it was tried or punished for demolishing the American economy - and I think that resentment fermented into outright anti-establishment anger ... and in that anger a lot of forgotten Americans turned to a man who talked big about "draining the swamp", his opponent the largest and most hated figure within that establishment.

Don't forget that Clinton's main opponent was Bernie Sanders so that exhausted anger was present along the left too - there was clearly a yearning for something different and some change. Trump seemed like a big Hail Mary Fúck You to the establishment, failing to spot how Trump was the establishment - maybe more than. Clinton ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

As you can tell then all analogies are BS , so why would suggesting that peace terms not be preferable? Biden wasted 2 years now there is a chance of a change in direction in 25 , not sure about Harris Im guessing she will be weak on the world stage but would be funny to see a low IQ (for a President) too , didnt she try to defund the police and other crazy policies that she supported in the past , her adult beliefs were pure dumb , saying she is a "flip flopper" is a cover up in a way , her adult history is being stupid

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

So what does woke mean if you disagree ?

It has a very specific meaning which I can tell you if you don't know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It really is, to be "woke" is to be aware of important issues that may not be always obvious to everyone, and typically are of a social justice type in nature.

That is, it is to be awake to the truth of what is going on. Not sure where it originally came from but would have originated in my view in the American Black community, and in my small mind, I always think of the Matrix and being awake to the real world, i.e. what is really going on.

A bunch of Americans started associating it with liberals and tried to turn it into an insult without meaning for anyone who disagrees with them on policy. Using it when you do not understand it's true meaning is very much a badge of ignorance as it clearly labels you as being ignorant of at least that one thing, if not many other things. Sadly like many things that are used as an insult, once it gets common enough use, it also becomes a secondary meaning.

I am not woke but I wish I was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How would a convicted felon has-been force anyone to negotiate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Saw a tweet that Walz changed the Minnesota flag to resemble Somalia no wonder Omar loves him. The fruit loops never fail to make me laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The overwhelming reason Kamala Harris is in the position she is in now is simply because she is a black woman. That was the primary requisite for Biden choosing his VP, he clearly stated this in advance of his pick.

She jumped to the head of the queue because of gender politics.

Harris was never viewed as being President material, if Biden had decided not to rerun last year, Harris would not have fared well in the primaries.

Most people dont have an issue with a woman being President, if she is a capable politician with a good track record or potential.

Hilary Clinton did not fit that criteria and neither does Harris, but the Democrats will spin it otherwise.

Harris was an unmitigated disaster for the first 18 months of her office, falling out with so many of her staff and making so many gaffes.

So much so that she was largely given nothing to do for the last 2 years.

Now she is being heralded as this great shining beacon of hope.

If the US elects a black woman it will be seen to be progressive is the message.

Well its complete bullshit but as said earlier on here, the masses are stupid, and they will buy whats being sold, especially when aided by large sections of the media.

Not really in the spirit of a discussion if you won't read replies to your posts, a very Trumpian tactic, just effectively ignore what was said if it is not something that you want to hear. Guess some posters post in good faith, and others do not. It is only 7 sentences, you can even ignore the last two as they don't add much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why reply to my post if you're just going to play dumb and ignore the questions asked?

You know perfectly well what civil.wst and are completely unable to say how Trump will handle Ukraine. Either cone back with a more comprehensive answer and we continue. or come back with a dismissive respnce/personal attack and prove my point.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Deleted.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭crusd

Trump has likely the lowest IQ of any modern president if I were to hazard a guess, Clinton was known to finish the times crossword under his desk while actively participating in meetings. Nixons state of the nation address, which he only read once due to late edits he read off by heart after the teleprompter cut out at the start. 7 minutes long I believe. George W was a decent fighter pilot (above average IQ) and an MBA from Harvard. JFK was reportedly one of the fastest readers ever and consumed books at a phenomenal pace. There are loads of stories like this about former presidents. I don't agree with many of them but none of them were low IQ. Trump on the other hand shows very low EQ, which is indicative that he has a lower IQ than the average person as well, the two typically being linked (although not always). He has collapsed supposedly impossible to fail businesses, has had to be bailed out before dragging others down as well. To be fair, no man has ever failed upwards with the adeptness of Trump, it is actually really impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thats not really an argument its more of a "but look at him" , the point is Harris has a record of supporting dumb ideas. At best it would mean is that she only has to be a puppet that does what she is told which again would be funny to watch too, pure popcorn

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Suppose that is possible but the defund the police wasn't what she said, my memory says it was funding could be put to be better use, including training in more successful forms of policing. I believe there are links earlier in the thread. I don't think that is stupid by any stretch of the imagination. It might appear that way to some in America who only see once type of response, basically more reactive policing, whereas her suggestion seemed to be for a move towards more proactive styles of policing. You still need the reactive policing to be available but the proactive policing would eventually lead to a lesser need for it, reduction in crime etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

If you watch the clips on YouTube, plenty of Americans can't point out America on a map.

I also think the look at him is fair, it is Trump vs Harris, so when talking about one, it is fair to point out relative points with the other. I don't agree with her on everything but nothing is jumping out at me as having a low IQ. That old debating trick of regurgitating a sentence to get past it is annoying but I have seen that done by so many people over the years, its nothing more, nothing less, and before mobiles recording everything and youtube having everything easy to hand, you would never have noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Thats it exactly. He was not in politics when the crash happened. People thought his business acumen could be useful. There were some people thinking "Lets give Trump a shot, he can't be any worse than the current shower", some as you say it was a big "Eff you establishment!".

Then, people saw what he was like and didn't vote for him in 2020.

• Advertisement

deflection to waffle now. Clearly you have no idea where your opinion about Trumps non existent negotiating skills will emanate from

Advertisement