Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Exacerbate vs. Exasperate

Exacerbate is frequently confused with exasperate, and with good reason. Not only do these words resemble one another in spelling and pronunciation, they also at one time held exceedingly similar meanings. Exasperate is today most commonly used as a synonym of annoy, but for several hundred years it also had the meanings “to make more grievous” and “to make harsh or harsher.” Exacerbate is now the more common choice of these two words when one seeks to indicate that something is becoming increasingly bitter, violent, or unpleasant. It comes in part from the Latin word acer, meaning “sharp,” whereas exasperate is from asper, the Latin word for “rough.”

ex·as·per·ate

1. To make very angry or impatient; annoy greatly. 2. To increase the gravity or intensity of: "a scene . that exasperates his rose fever and makes him sneeze" (Samuel Beckett).

exacerbate

1. to make (pain, disease, emotion, etc) more intense; aggravate.

2. to exasperate or irritate (a person)[C17: from Latin exacerbāre to irritate, from acerbus bitter]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

"He is such a quiet lad" when they find out one of the neighbours has been beating the **** out of his Mrs and or kids for years and finally got caught. No, Jimmy from the pub the prick isn't a quiet lad it's just nobody heard or didn't care what he was up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Good post! And good points, however in current usage I think the people saying exasperate do actually mean the current sense of exacerbate.

And if they keep saying it, then dictionaries will start listing it.

And that is the whole problem. Its all very well language growing and developing, but these kinds of words are being intoduced into, for example, legal documents and official pronouncements and can change the whole meaning. Language has to be able to be reliably understood to be of use beyond grunting at each other!

• Advertisement

It's not a problem. If the spelling or definition of a word changes, then dictionaries will show that. Self appointed guardians of what is correct for centuries have been trying to freeze the language in the form existing in their lifetimes. They never succeeded in the past, and they will won't succeed in the future. If they had their way, then the word Nice would still mean what it meant 600 years ago.

nice (adj.)

late 13c., "foolish, ignorant, frivolous, senseless," from Old French nice (12c.) "careless, clumsy; weak; poor, needy; simple, stupid, silly, foolish," from Latin nescius "ignorant, unaware," literally "not-knowing," from ne- "not" (from PIE root *ne- "not") + stem of scire "to know" (see science). "The sense development has been extraordinary, even for an adj." [Weekley] — from "timid, faint-hearted" (pre-1300); to "fussy, fastidious" (late 14c.); to "dainty, delicate" (c. 1400); to "precise, careful" (1500s, preserved in such terms as a nice distinction and nice and early); to "agreeable, delightful" (1769); to "kind, thoughtful" (1830).

I just wrote a long reply then decided it was OT for this forum, so cancelled it. Essentially I was saying that a word changing meaning over a 600 year period, and words changing meaning every day as people on the internet interpret them as they choose or mistakenly understand them, are not quite the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The affected / effected mix-up is now so common that it's frequently seen in the Irish Times. 😡

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Do you remember in the 80s when they ordered tracksuits with "OYLIMPIC" on the back? 🤣

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

And accept and except. It is perfectly possible to put in, say, a legal letter or document that 'this clause shall be excepted' which, if you don't understand the difference you could think means 'this clause is not included', or 'this clause is acceptable', two exact opposites. But no, it doesn't matter so long as people can write whatever they want on X without being criticised.

Anyway I think we are a bit off topic here, probably more suited to the moribund English forum. 🙂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭L Grey

When people pronounce the word 'because' as 'becuz'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

You guys…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Now Mr Deregos, just relax your knees, keep bent over and try and stop all this nervous clenching.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭waynescales1

When talking about trying to solve a problem, can we… "square the circle"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Thinking outside the box", when they don't even know the meaning of the phrase…

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Charlo30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Some genuine corporate nonsense from a meeting this morning.

"Okay, so I'll take ownership of this going forward. I'll reach out to xxxxx and bring the state of play to the table tomorrow."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

"Aligned" is a favourite in my place. I've just finished a Teams call, and at the end, one of the engineers was delighted that we're all aligned. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why wouldn't they just use normal English, and say you're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Corporate buzzwords and phrases are commonplace in most US owned multinationals - the Americanisation has even influenced how employees speak to each other…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Loved by knobends to make them appear more intelligent than they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

"I'm not gonna lie………….."

" You got this"

https://www.orourkeda.blog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

"For me,.…". if you're talking and expressing an opinion, then I'm happy to assume it's your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

"but we have always done it this way".. really annoys me - esp. when the way of doing something is clearly not working or there is now a better way of doing it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Women beginning sentences with "as a woman..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭waynescales1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Touch grass, wtf is this and why has it come up in 2024

Wtf is wtf?

Advertisement