Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing switched fuse spur going to water pump for smart solution

• 30-07-2024 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi,

We have a Kikawa water pump to boost water pressure around the house and this is on a switched fuse spur which is left on all the time.

Id like to replace this with something smart to add to apple HomeKit.

Does anyone know can if either of these options are ok?

1. Replace switched fuse spur with single gang socket, add 3 pin plug to pump and buy smart plug.
    2. Meross smart WLAN switch from amazon is only 12.77 and i could add on and leave spur there.
    3. Any other options?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Replacing the fused spur outlet with a smart device would not be advisable, as this would eliminate the protection provided by the fuse. Typically, these fuses are rated around 3A for a pump of this type. Without the fuse, the upstream protection would rely on the MCB, which is likely rated significantly higher and would not adequately protect the 1.5 mm² cable supplying the pump.

As the pump is a permanently connected device, it is best practice to supply it through a spur outlet rather than a plug and socket arrangement.

My recommendation is to retain the spur outlet and use it to feed a device such as a Sonoff TH16 or an equivalent Shelly device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,679 ✭✭✭✭ted1

why? Is it not in a demand pump? When it senses water flow it pumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Spook80

I was gonna put the 3 amp fuse in the plug top, would this not offer the same protection?

In theory yes, it’s an in demand pump. It seems to go off intermittently but only for a second and not consistent enough that i can diagnose easy. I’ve checked the toilets, taps but the problem I’ve paid a plumber twice in the last 6 months and they replaced a valve in the air to water heat pump and it stopped for a while but came back.

My ambition is definitely to get it fixed properly but it can wake us up in the night at the moment but not go off again till next day which males it impossible to fix.

I just want to be able to turn it off going to bed and back on in the morning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, it would but as sated in my previous post:

"As the pump is a permanently connected device, it is best practice to supply it through a spur outlet rather than a plug and socket arrangement."

The same logic applies to other permanently connected devices in the home such as:

• Gas boiler
    • Intruder alarm

The above could also be fed from a plug & socket arrangement, but best practice would be not to as they are permanently connected devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,679 ✭✭✭✭ted1

you may have a leak somewhere. Or a faulty ballcock in the attic or toilet

Thanks a lot i appreciate your help. I understand that its best practice and providing theres no safety issues then i assume “best practice” is aimed at, as you said things like gas boiler and alarms where you dont want the customer unplugging by accident. In this case i want to be able to switch it off by my phone but was just a bit concerned with safety.

Yes but its so intermittent it can go hours without a peep and the twice in 15minutes.

I kinda hope it gets worse and so as to sort it once and for all whether that be a whole new pump or not.

Thanks for the response.

A fused spur outlet would be considered to be safer than a plug and socket arrangement. Additionally depending on how the circuit is wired you may not be permitted to install a socket on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭Shoog

You could get a smart relay and mount it in the patress in line with the live feed. Very simple to fit. Sonoff do some nice smart relays for small money.

Still, find your leak is the better solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Why is a fused spur considered safer than a plug and socket arrangement? I would have thought that the major concern, in either case, would be whether the correct fuse had been fitted.
    I'm not questioning your statement, just wondering on the rationale. :)

Plugs are simply more prone to damage and arcing - which present a small fire hazard.

I suspect that Sonoff, or similar inline smart devices, represent a greater safety hazard than a plug and socket with/without a smart adapter. This is particularly true when used with loads, such as pumps and motors, which can have high startup currents. I would be concerned controlling such a load directly, i.e, without using a relay/contactor.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why fused spurs are recommended for fixed appliances. However, this is the first time I have seen safety as a particular concern.

Like everything you have to specify the smart relay appropriate to the instantaneous load. They are relay devices and they come in a range of ampages.

Sonoff are one of the largest smart devices manufacturers in the world and all their components are certificated so I would have few concerns when specified correctly.

I fully agree with you - installers should specify the smart relay appropriate to the instantaneous load. This speaks directly to my concerns re this technology.

Many installers: 

• don't have the expertise to select the appropriate device.
    • don't have the skills to wire it correctly.
    • don't have the knowledge to adequately address fire safety.

The CE Declaration of Conformity (DOC) is a totally different ballgame. Let's just say that it doesn't guarantee a safe device, or a safe installation.

You have to assume that people installing these smart controllers are intelligent enough to specify the correct devices. Of course this is not always the case - and I frequently end up recommending people do not touch their electrics when they ask questions which makes it obvious that they don't have that level of knowledge.
    There is nothing complex about reading a spec sheet on two components and marrying them together and it would be wrong to assume that people lack this basic level of skill - its sort of insulting to assume they don't without evidence to the contrary.

that is why I suggested a Sonoff TG16. This is rated for 16A load, more than enough for the inrush current form a domestic pump.

I'm not insulting anyone, intentionally or otherwise. The danger is that people tend to overestimate their knowledge and capabilities. Where mains electricity is involved that can have tragic consequences.

Post edited by NewClareman on

https://www.boards.ie/profile/225860/2011

I'm not questioning your recommendation for an instant. I'm more than happy to defer to your knowledge and experience.

Post edited by NewClareman on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

A time switch might be a simple solution.

Alternatively, fit an expansion vessel that will stop the pump from turning on for a small quantity of water like a toilet flush or a small leak. 20 litres would be good.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

Its a problem in general ATM

People are unwittingly replacing local isolators with a smart control and this doesn't comply with wiring rules

It's happening with immersion switches a lot from what I see

Not saying poster is doing that here as he mentioned plug/socket arrangement

Advertisement